View Poll Results: Affiliates, What types of Sales Contests do you prefer? Sales Contests based on ...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Highest Number of Orders

4 30.77%
  • Most Revenue Generated

3 23.08%
  • Best Conversion Rate on X number of sales or more

0 0%
  • Highest Order Value

0 0%
  • None of the Above (post what you prefer please)

7 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Affiliates, What types of Sales Contests do you prefer?
    During a brainstorming meeting with our employees, we began coming up with a load of contests for the future and thought of several different ways to handle it. They all sound like golden ideas but what matters is what you think!

So I am asking what type of Sales Contest do you prefer ..

A Sales Contest based on ...

Highest Number of Orders
    Most Revenue Generated
    Best Conversion Rate on X number of sales or more
    Highest Order Value
    None of the Above (write in what you prefer)

This poll is to help us offer up what you would like to see so that everyone has a chance to win!
    KK

I don't like contests where I compete with other affiliates (that I cannot see) - I like promotions that raise my own commission based on hitting tiers.

Personally I really dislike contests where highest volume of orders wins - you should know who your top five affiliates are, they probably will be the same month in month out whether they are a brand bidder (err!) a SEO, Loyalty or Paid Search Affiliate- incentivize them in a different way individually for the best return.

Its the middle tier of affiliate who could drastically increase your volumes.

I quite like say 1 entry into a competition for every 3 sales.. this stops the one trick ponies but really does excite the affiliate to promote you. 3 sales agreed is not a lot, but an affiliate will need to take a short time to look at you, your offering and site to enter.

Make sure you communicate with the affiliate after a couple of sales and perhaps offer guaranteed prizes if say 20 sales are reached.

There is nothing wrong in offering multiple prizes in addition. One for highest increase in sales, conversion or order value.

Matthew

Super Cool Affiliate Manager IanBookMan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Wood
    Personally I really dislike contests where highest volume of orders wins - you should know who your top five affiliates are, they probably will be the same month in month out whether they are a brand bidder
    I quite like say 1 entry into a competition for every 3 sales.. this stops the one trick ponies but really does excite the affiliate to promote you. 3 sales agreed is not a lot, but an affiliate will need to take a short time to look at you, your offering and site to enter.

Matthew
    Thats a pretty good idea for a contest - 1 entry for every 3 sales.
    I know I've promted just about every contest listed above and have never really had any improvements or changes for the better to speak of.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, you want something ideally where everybody has a shot. Highest number of orders, most revenue types don't do anything for most. I always figure there's somebody out there that's just rolling with the merchant and will win it easily. Something that's been mentioned already where every sale or something like that is an entry.

I concur with Trust. Promotions/contents such as "generate $xx revenue and receive y" (cash bonus, increased commission, etc) where everybody has a shot at the prize would likely motivate more people than pitting them against each other.
    [B]Jeff DeBo[/B] | Sr. Marketing Manager - Affiliate
    [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K217424]ProFlowers[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K302833]Personal Creations[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K21765]RedEnvelope[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220460]Cherry Moon Farms[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220455]Shari's Berries[/URL]

P: (858) 909-4203 | E: jdebo(at)providecommerce(dot)com

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    How about posting a product item and running a contest to make the best ad copy for that item. Even the people who don't 'win' end up with a nice product description they could post on their web site. Of course, contestants would need to join the program. You could even make it a silly photo, and tell them to tie that photo to a specific item, that would be kind of fun to do.

Andy ran a contest once that included a picture of a centipede, you might review that one, it was different.

You could make it, say, a three month contest and give the contestants that sign up a specific search term in google. The best ranking for that term on a specific day wins. I did that years ago and, as I recall, ended up with 3 affiliates in the top ten results.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Outsourced Program Manager Rufus's Avatar
    A UK merchant had a competition in 2005 (I think) for SEO affiliates which worked really well.

They picked a search term and if a affiliate could get number spot for the term and hold it for (I think) a week they got the prize money plus the commission of all the sale they made from having that place in Google.

Of course there were a few rules like there banners had to be the main ones of the page etc but it worked really well for them it could be something worth looking at.

They weren’t top key words ether but they weren’t the easiest to get the top spot for ether.
    Rufus Bazley,
    [URL=http://www.odst.co.uk]DataFeed and API Creation[/URL]
    [URL=http://jobon.info]Marketing Site[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.compare-treadmills.co.uk]Treadmill Reviews[/URL]

There have been several good threads about sales contests recently. I'll search and see which ones I can find.

I think one essential aspect is that you do something that motivates affiliates at every level. Sometimes you can do that by segmenting your affiliates based on the previous month's activity and offering different prizes for each tier (and let them jump up tiers if they hit the target for a higher tier).

Okay, some of the old threads...

In Alan's 4 questions thread, the idea of permanent commission increases for reaching specific lifetime sales thresholds was brought up. I really like this idea.

I'm not finding the others, but I know there are some. I thought Geno posted one.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

I tend to totally ignore the contests that are "highest" whatever. I always assume that some "super affiliate" will win that with sales that are 10 or 20 times more than I could do. There is also the fact that, in that sort of competition, the affiliates are competing totally in the dark. We've no idea of what sort of numbers are involved ... am I ranking as number 3? number 345? And there is always the issue of trust ... do I trust the merchant enough to believe they will actually pay out? Will they claim that a non extisting aff has won, just so they get all the benefits of the promotion but don't have to pay? I don't know if this has ever happened ... but with some merchants you've got to wonder

ABW Ambassador
    I don't even bother with the SEO type contests either. Still leaving out most people I think with those type of contests. PPC affiliates won't be interested or people with other kinds of traffic. Then for those that win, people will scour their pages and study them to see how they got to page 1, techniques used etc.

15 years and counting
    I really enjoyed the first contests organized by Andy Rodriguez. It was always fun to compete with other affiliates in a vertical. I don't remember the prizes. For me, it was more important to see my position in the top 10 (commission earned). It was also a good way to discover your competition.

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    I don't do contests - delete those emails as they come in

to my knowledge, i'm already promoting a merchant to the best of my ability - otherwise, i wouldn't have joined

besides the reasons stated in the previous posts, like the affiliate who already is the highest converter will probably still be the highest converter next month, I'll add...

1. Many things are out of our control - like where google ranks you - so I don't like entering a contest and devoting time when the results will be based on something I can't control

2. Most prizes seem to be $25 - $100. The amount of time needed to be any merchant's best affiliate is worth a hec of a lot more then that

3. Someone mentioned tiers - get X amount more sales then last month... all the emails I get seem to be unnatainable. For example, "We've analyzed your sales for the last year, and you've gotten ONE sale a month. We've determined you just need 24 sales a month to qualify". LOL! Pretty sure I won't reach that tier

ABW Ambassador
    Divide your affiliates into a bands and assign different goals to beat for different prizes
    or
    Come up with a model, say X, Y, Z percent over prior month sales / orders etc. and give a bonus (ensure the affiliate had at least some sales in the prior months so the percent won't be infinite with one new order )

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I really enjoyed the first contests organized by Andy Rodriguez. It was always fun to compete with other affiliates in a vertical. I don't remember the prizes. For me, it was more important to see my position in the top 10 (commission earned). It was also a good way to discover your competition.
    I remember those days with Andy and loved them
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread