ABW Ambassador
    Correct way to quote from the bible?
    I don't want to upset anyone by doing it wrong, if people would get upset by it being quoted wrong, so does anyone know the proper way?

Would A be better?
    Matt 20:34, Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him.
    Or B:
    Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him. Matt 20:34
    Or another way?

And another question, I think most people would expect the bible to use lots of "thy" and "thou" etc.. older English sounding words. I think it would be better to use an older English bible, maybe?

Thanks!

ABW Ambassador
    Generally it would be the text of the verse followed by the verse and number (in italics)- better after the text because the version should be included: KJV, NASB, NIV, etc.

This is standard in most the religious writing and editing I've done:

"Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him" (Matthew 20:34).

Some allow abbreviated names for the books of the Bible, but most prefer spelling out the full name -- mostly because it's so tricky to do consistent abbreviations for Old Testament book names.

And none of the editing I do has the text in italics, rather put quote marks around the text -- and in American grammar and punctuation, periods and commas ALWAYS go inside closing quotes, if you're quoting without citing a reference. (British English always puts periods and commas OUTSIDE closing quotes.)
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks writerguy!

Thanks too webworker, by version, you mean version of the bible used? I was thinking of putting a note of that somewhere.

To include the version, usually I've seen it as:

"Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him" (Matthew 20:34, New International Version).

That would be on first-reference. If you have a second reference you're quote after that, most of the major English Bible versions are recognizable enough to abbreviate:

"Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and followed him" (Matthew 20:34, NIV).

By "major" versions of the English Bible, I mean thing like:

New Revised Standard Version -- NRSV
    New Living Bible -- NLB
    New International Version -- NIV
    King James Version -- KVJ
    New King James Version -- NKJV

etc.

I have not done any editing or writing using various "non-Protestant" Bible versions, i.e., Douay Rheims, St. Joseph, American Bible. So I'm not sure about accepted abbreviations for those -- nor have I done anything with non-English versions in general.
    Generate more fake news.

ABW Ambassador
    Awesome, that pretty much covers all the questions I had writerguy. Thanks again.

Glad to help. Always fun to use some of my experience for something besides filling up this recliner chair. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

It may sound stupid but copyright could be an issue.
    These Scriptures have been made available on the Internet for your personal use only. Any other use including, but not limited to, copying or re-posting the Scripture on the Internet is prohibited.
    NIV copyright notice
    The other Bible versions apart from the KJV (in the US) and the WEB Bible may also be subject to copyright.

ABW Ambassador
    Looking at those, they seem to be speaking more about online published versions? I'd be taking verse from an offline source. But thanks, I'd think citing and sourcing would be enough, but I'll have to see if the offline source is as crazy about copyright as the one you quoted is.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread