Registration on Blogs
    I am new to the world of blogs and I was curious how many of you make your visitors register.

I assume that if you have this feature that visitors must register before they can post comments but they are still able to read your blog posts. Is this right?

Thanks,
    bettylou

Yeah, that's generally how it works, depending on the software you use, I suppose. I know with WordPress, anyone can read the blog posts -- unless you choose to keep individual posts "private," and I'm not entirely sure how that works.

I used to automatically set a blog up so people had to register to post, but I don't do that anymore.

Someone in a discussion here at ABW asked about blog registration a few months back and it occurred to me, as someone commented in that thread, that if I go to a blog and find out I must register to post -- I'm probably just going to move on without bothering.

So now I have my blogs set up so that no one has to register to post. BUT -- I have it set so that I have to approve (or "an administrator" which is really only me at this point) all posts before they become public. That way I can delete or mark as spam some of the junk comments people try.
    Generate more fake news.

Thanks Gary,

That is what I was thinking too, that a lot of folks won't register just to post a comment.

I just noticed that for one of the plugins (for post ratings) that I am messing around with that it asks if you want to allow guests or only those that are registered, so I was curious.

I didn't realize how many plugins there are for Wordpress. Seriously, I have one of them cleaning the toilets and another waxing the car as we speak!

Have you seen the one that cooks meals and burps babies? Lotta fun, those WP plugins.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Have you seen the one that cooks meals and burps babies? Lotta fun, those WP plugins.
    WooHoo - I like the one about burping babies. Where can I download it? Our new granddaughter needs the ol' pat-on-the-back-til-she-burps routine several times per day.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I've started requiring registration to comment on many sites that used to allow open comments. Even with Askimet and other security measures, I'm still getting plenty of spam comments. I've had to go as far as disabling comments on certain posts that were getting dozens of comments a day.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread