ABW Ambassador
    Does anybody know the proper way to get this done, where to go etc. Theres a phrase i want to use on one of my sites and i want to check if its available. I want to get it legal so no one else can use it. Thanks.

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    US Office of Patents and Trademarks

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    Ok, lots of reading Ok i'll have my phrase with the TM, then later register it and then ®

"Nothing focuses the mind better than the constant sight of a competitor who wants to wipe you off the map."
    --Wayne Calloway

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Yep lots of reading. It's a government agency.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

ABW Ambassador
    What are you trying to accomplish? Copyright, trademark or both? Just about anything that you put on a webpage is automatically copyrighted, but it's best to put a copyright notification on the page anyway.

Trademarks are a lot trickier and not only somewhat expensive to get as you need a competent patent lawyer, but they can get to be really expensive to protect. To ensure that you do not lose your trademark, if you see that someone is violating it, you must notify them to stop using it. If they don't stop, you must take legal action against them. The keyword is must. You must do whatever you have to do to protect the trademark or it becomes invalid.

Registering a trademark in the US only registers it in the US. If you have something that you think is hot, you'll want to register it in other countries also. Your trademark is not protected in any country in which it is not registered. It will cost you about $10K per country to register the trademark.

On top of all this, there are different rules per country. In the US you have up to a year to register after you start using it. In other countries such as Germany, I believe you have to register before you ever start using it.

One thing you want to keep in mind also is that if anyone else uses your trademark before it is registered, you are not protected against those parties. You are only protected against the parties that start using your trademark after registration.

Hope this helps.

Yeah! What Bob said.
    It's an expensive pain in the rear!
    You can always send a (Cease and Desist) nastygram to anyone that you catch using it.
    Then it's a Cheap pain in the rear

PS: Bob, I'm originally from Grass Valley.

[This message was edited by cdc on August 13, 2003 at 11:55 PM.]

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread