Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Arrow Shareasale - Read It, Even If You're Ok With The Way Things Are
    Just like Sam Bay did on the First ABW Roast, I wonder who esle got the guts, or the cojones to do the First Shareasale Roast!

Here I am, I hate to do this, but honesty goes a long way with me!

After about four years on SAS, and seeing that my total income there so far after four years still under 2k, I have no choice but to make this post.

I like SAS a lot, but there are a few things on SAS that I don't think is helping me reach my full potential as an independent affiliate on SAS.

But before I list the few SAS bad things I don't like, I would like to see others SAS affiliates saying something about some of the negative part of SAS here too. In case that this thread turn out to be a total Mr. Sal bash by some SAS unconditional lovers, then I would rest my case, and not post again on this thread.

But the way I see it, if you don't know what your (whatever) think about you, then you might never know why things went one way or the other.

Just really think about it, before you post away on this thread.

15 years and counting
    Mr. Sal - After about four years on SAS, and seeing that my total income there so far after four years still under 2k, I have no choice but to make this post.
    2k a day is not so bad Mr. Sal. I'm not there yet with SaS. 2K total in four years would be a little bit low.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    2k a day is not so bad Mr. Sal. I'm not there yet with SaS. 2K total in four years would be a little bit low.
    WTH are you talking about Zeus,

2k a day?

!

I would had settle for at least $51 dollars a month for the last four years, that way I would have been paid every month!

Even with the so call parasites on that network , at least on CJ I only have to make $25.00 before I can buy some dog food!

15 years and counting
    I'm sure 2K (in commissions) a day at SaS is doable. It's my goal. I did it at CJ, LS and with a few indies. SaS has many great merchants with lots of potential. I'm not a ppc player so it's harder for me but I'll like to think some affiliates have reached that level already at SaS. Just look at the Checks programs. Where do we stand? That's one of the few features missing at SaS. An affiliate ranking system with the SaS yellow stars.

I would like to see your suggestions for them. I have had a much better experience with them than you report so far and I have only been with SAS for a few months now. But, you should mention what you think could be improved anyway. New ideas are a fundamental cornerstone of growth.

-sfcom

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I'm sure 2K (in commissions) a day at SaS is doable. It's my goal.
    Your goal there might be doable, I would not doubt it, but the way I think and the way I work, I can't even have made 2K (in commissions) on the last four years there, maybe I was eating too much as usable before, that's why I open this thread.
    I did it at CJ, LS and with a few indies. SaS has many great merchants with lots of potential. I'm not a ppc player so it's harder for me but I'll like to think some affiliates have reached that level already at SaS. Just look at the Checks programs. Where do we stand? That's one of the few features missing at SaS. An affiliate ranking system with the SaS yellow stars.
    1- One of the reasons I decided to Roast SAS, is becasue of the bottom line on my bank account.

2 - PPC? - - I don't have the money or the trust feeling to waste any real of my own money on any PPC money on some (Maybe merchants) on any network.

3 - Just look at the Checks programs? - Come on Zeus, I thought that you have known better than that by now!

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Mr. Sal,

Let me first say I have been a long time fan of your posts as they are always so colorfully adorned with smilies.

I don't personally know your niche areas, what you promote or how you promote it, and I have never seen one of your web sites, but could it be that your sites need SEO enhancement, additional content, etc.? My friendly suggestion is to examine your sites first and determine if there are ways you could make them even more visitor friendly. Sometimes it is easier to think the cause of not meeting your goals is an external force.

As for the checks programs comment, I feel compelled to ask you what you mean by that? I am always looking for opportunities to make my program better, so if you have any, please feel free to contact me - here, via email or by phone.

Best of luck to you!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

15 years and counting
    Mr. Sal - 3 - Just look at the Checks programs? - Come on Zeus, I thought that you have known better than that by now!
    I may be naive but I don't know what you mean. I don't attend all the nice parties. I'm not an heavy promoter for checks but I made some money with them without spending one cent.

Checks Unlimited and 4Checks are the top two on the PowerRank list at SaS with steady 30 Day EPC above $130. Somebody must be doing good. Some of my merchants are not even listed in the top 100.

I'm just a regular affiliate, I'm lazy and cheap (I do all the work myself). Because I'm lazy I focus my energy on what works best for my bank account. I found some real gems at SaS.

I've never had much luck with SAS either. I've been with them, I guess, every since they have been a network.

Even with all of the parasites on the other networks I've made more money with other networks than I've made with SAS.

I've made the most money off of indie programs.

I put out SAS links in the same fashion as I do the links on other networks and indies but I get very few sales from SAS merchants.

I sometimes think that part of the problems (if not all) is the quality of the SAS merchants and it seems like there is a problem with a lot of them being off line all the time, leaks on the sites like adsense, big 1-800-**** phone numbers on the top of every page on their site with a tiny - mention this code on the bottom of the page, Links on every page to other sites they own that we do not get paid commission for, and etc.

I basically do not expect to make very much money off of SAS merchants but maybe I'll make a little bit of money off of then.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I'm not sure "roast" is really the right word. A roast is a form of comedy where a person or people are subjected to insults. I think what you're talking about is (constructive?) criticism.

I think most of us would agree that ShareASale.com is not perfect. Most of us who work with SAS much would probably list the same few shortcomings. But what sets them apart from the "big 3" is that they take a firm stand against parasites, they have an intense desire to keep things fair for all parties, and Brian is very in tune with the needs of affiliates. They also very actively work to implement feature suggestions.

I think the biggest complaints most people would have are:

1) Low-quality merchants. Obviously, there are some real jems on SAS, but many are just plain awful. Some should have their accounts closed, because their sites are no longer online or functional or tracking hasn't been in place for months or years, not just becaues their low-quality merchants.
    2) Merchants going off-line. Every network has to decide what they're going to do when merchants don't pay. Most extend credit and leave the affiliates holding the bad when the merchant leaves or goes out of business. With SAS, they cut the merchant off the second their balance is depleted. Each method has shortcomings.
    3) While SAS takes a strong stand against parasites, they take less of a stand against other unethical behaviors. They feel that it's up to merchants to decide what to do about trademark poachers, deceptive coupon practices, etc. They feel it's up to affiliates to decide what to do about merchants with unnaturally high reversal rates, uncommissionable items, major leaks, etc. I think they do themselves a big disservice by letting bad affiliates and merchants remain in the network.

Despite these complaints, SAS remains my favorite network. These are relatively minor complaints compared to the complaints I would have with most other networks.

As for earnings, my SAS earnings are rapidly approaching my earnings levels on CJ and LinkShare. My CJ and LinkShare earnings are slowly declining and my SAS earnings are steadily growing so if nothing changes I see SAS being my top-earning network at some point in the future.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by AM@4checks
    Mr. Sal,

Let me first say I have been a long time fan of your posts as they are always so colorfully adorned with smilies.
    Thank you for that compliment Kim!
    Quote Originally Posted by AM@4checks
    I don't personally know your niche areas, what you promote or how you promote it, and I have never seen one of your web sites, but could it be that your sites need SEO enhancement, additional content, etc.? My friendly suggestion is to examine your sites first and determine if there are ways you could make them even more visitor friendly. Sometimes it is easier to think the cause of not meeting your goals is an external force.
    The reason for this thread have nothing to do with my sites or what do I do to pay my rent! (BTW, I don't have to pay any rent.)

I like money, I need money, I would like to make more money on SAS, but... just money can't buy me love!

The main reason of this thread is to see you will have the guts to say what they don't like about SAS.

For example:

1 - I don't like the SAS default log-in interface the way it is!

Why do SAS is the only one that I know of, that force me to go change my "Display Property Settings" just to navigate on the SAS interface?

Why do SAS is the only one that I know of, that even if I switch from my standard view of 800x480 to 1024x768 resolutions, I can't still see those Js new windows opening on the center of my monitor?

Why do SAS preview datafeeds still show the old datafeed format?

If it wasn't because I knew about one of my mechants datafeed already, if I just went to check the preview datafeeds, I would never have joined that merchant, why? --- Well, because on the preview datafeeds you can't see that the merchant is using the new datafeed format, and while you can't see their new merchantCategory and merchantSubcategory on that old preview datafeeds tool, you may think that by now that merchant still have some old crappy datafeed, so you might make a bad decision there.

Btw, this thread is not about money, this thread is just about some bad tools or the way they are working now.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    We only use SAS for our targeted niche sites where they have reputable merchants that can fullfill the needs of those niches.

We have seen our sales through their merchants rise steadily.

If I had one complaint its that you can not track sales down to the specific product purchased in the merchant shopping cart. Best I can tell you can see the transaction and obviously the link the customer used to go to the merchant but not what they ended up buying.

That information would help us better understand if we are providing the appropriate information on our site before passing them on to the merchant.

But I will say that the customer service at SAS is head and shoulders above the big 3. Sometimes I wonder if those 3 even know what customer service is.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I'm not sure "roast" is really the right word. A roast is a form of comedy where a person or people are subjected to insults. I think what you're talking about is (constructive?) criticism.
    You might be right about that, because to me a "roast" mean something like a roasted pig on December 24, but never mind that, I decided on the "roast" word because I didn't know how to complain about SAS without sounding like a bashing on SAS.
    I think most of us would agree that ShareASale.com is not perfect. Most of us who work with SAS much would probably list the same few shortcomings. But what sets them apart from the "big 3" is that they take a firm stand against parasites, they have an intense desire to keep things fair for all parties, and Brian is very in tune with the needs of affiliates. They also very actively work to implement feature suggestions.
    But one thing is to be against parasites, but if the other things on the network don't look that good, then... (show me the money!) or show me a better way!
    As for earnings, my SAS earnings are rapidly approaching my earnings levels on CJ and LinkShare. My CJ and LinkShare earnings are slowly declining and my SAS earnings are steadily growing so if nothing changes I see SAS being my top-earning network at some point in the future.
    I wish I can even still think the same about that!

15 years and counting
    1-Low Quality Merchants
    All networks have their share of bad merchants. It's the responsability of the affiliate to check each of them. At least with Shareasale we have the tools to monitor them. With most networks, we're in the dark.
    2) Merchants going off-line.
    I lost a fortune with networks keeping links live after that merchants defaulted on paying them for months. Sharesale gave us the possibility to redirect that traffic to our own page. I'm very happy for that and I can catch the redirected merchants easily to understand why they're off line. Nice feature implemented ONLY at Shareasale.
    3) Unethical Affiliates and Merchants
    It's one of the worse problems to fight. Too many bad practices are left unpunished. But who's making the rules? Their strong stance against parasites was an outstanding first step. Time are changing, maybe a second step is needed.
    Even if I'm making less money right now with Shareasale, I want to give them my support for many reasons. They are in the right direction and things will get better. With better affiliates, better merchants will join them.
    Shareasale real time reporting is also the best tool to help us generate sales.
    Last edited by Zeus; April 21st, 2008 at 10:25 AM.

Wth, I just loged of ABW because I was going to sleep, but I decided to just check SAS.

Monday the 21st, my money still up there!

I really don't give a about money, but if we have to wait until a minuimum of 50 bucks in order to get pay, I don't understand how can an small network havent paid their affiliates by this time a day after pay day!

I think I better go to sleep it off before I really post what I am thinking now !

Hey! -- I am only human, but don't any one try to F with me or my !

Btw, it might say that I made this post at 11:58 AM, but since I am an affiliate marketer, I don't wear a time piece anymore, so...
    Good night!

At noon?

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    It actually is Payday today... and the payments will go out today...

We don't do Paydays on Sundays, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    It actually is Payday today... and the payments will go out today...

We don't do Paydays on Sundays, etc...
    Hi Brian,

Not that I longer need to wait for pay day from any network, but the "It actually is Payday today" don't cut it!

Again, fortunately I no longer deppend on pay day in order to pay my bills (I have no bills any longer. ), but I still remember when any pay check can make a big difference between paying a bill, or get more deeply in deb.

Since you decided to post on this thread, I would like to ask you just to questions.

1 - Why SAS can't lower the minimun payment to just $25.00 like the other bad networks?

2 - Why SAS can't pay on the 20th like it says on the SAS terms and just like the other bad networks?

Come on man!

Ok, I am willing to take the 20th falls on a weekend as an a valid excuse, but what's wrong with the minimun payment set at $50 bucks?

Look, while I would admit that three years ago I was one of those affiliates that would have like to get whatever I made on a month be paid by next month, and I would have liked to have SAS to have a minimun of of no more than $25 bucks before I got pay, I no longer care when I get pay by SAS, I even have thought of setting my minimun pay up to $200 bucks.

But, since I still remember the rules of: (once you get there, don't forgret were you came from), I have decided to speak for those affiliates that may need at least those $25 bucks every month.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    Just like Sam Bay did on the First ABW Roast, I wonder who esle got the guts, or the cojones to do the First Shareasale Roast!

Here I am, I hate to do this, but honesty goes a long way with me!

But before I list the few SAS bad things I don't like, I would like to see others SAS affiliates saying something about some of the negative part of SAS here too. In case that this thread turn out to be a total Mr. Sal bash by some SAS unconditional lovers, then I would rest my case, and not post again on this thread.
    mr Sal,

Since you started this thread with the intention of "soasting" SAS, why not actually DO IT instead of asking others to do it for you first?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Sorry you don't like my answers Mr. Sal... i'll try to be a little more specific.

1. We decided $50 was a pretty fair minimum coupled with the statistics that showed me that once an affiliate got to 25 - it didn't usually take them long to get to 50. I honestly don't feel like this is a huge issue, mostly because nobody ever brings it up to me. If that were to change and a whole bunch of people voiced their opinions as such, I would consider it.

2. We normally pay on the 20th - it happens to have been a Sunday. We could process payments on Sundays but it makes it a lot harder when all the banks are closed and the post office too...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

I also find that I make far less $ on SAS then other networks even though they try to be parasite free.

In the vein of constructive criticism:
    1. I would like to see product information, showing what has actually been sold.
    2. I don't think merchants should be taken offline so easily. If their credit card expires, there should be a mandatory backup card in place to handle that. It is very bad for our sites to have dead links.
    3. I would like to see date range options on reports. The activity summary shows this month and all time. I like to do reports with my own date ranges, for example to compare 2007 to 2008. I see that I could probably run monthly summary reports and download and concatenate them but there should be a date range option that would pull together the information.

This is starting to look like a re-hash of the "Things We To Fix..." thread. Is it necessary here too?
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    This is starting to look like a re-hash of the "Things We To Fix..." thread. Is it necessary here too?
    Thank you
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Comparison of any network based on how much an affiliate earns may be a moot point. An affiliate may earn paltry $0 a month while another may earn $2K a DAY (as Zeus was alluding above)!.
    A more useful metric might be a comparison of your network level EPCs. If you send 100 clicks to each of the networks from the same site of yours, what returns you get from each networks. That may help in determining which network one may want to align with you at NETWORK level

That being said, I don't really personally pay attention to NETWORK level EPCs rather prefer to use my merchant EPCs

ABW Ambassador
    Oh - BTW - SAS pays on-time in a very predictable way every month.

And on $25 min. - It does not affect me - but I take the word from Brian that if many affiliates want it, he will consider it.

OK - let's see about a "Roast"-type comment...
    Being the impatient person that I am I hate waiting for responses from the SAS office. I mean.....like....the last few times I have tried to contact someone there it seem slike to to ...f.o.r.e.v.e.r... for someone to get back to me. I mean.....like.....geeeeeze.....it took nearly a half hour a couple of times for an email to be returned.

I remember about two weeks ago I sent an email AND a PM to that C.Tang person out there in Chi-town, The Big Onion, or whatever ya call that City By The Lake.....and.....like.....geeeeeze.....I had enough time to brew a cup of coffee before my phone rang.
    Is dat whatcha mean?

Seriously, I love ShareASale. While it is true the bulk of my income comes from a few indy programs, as it has for eight years, SAS is "leader of the pack "with everything else that I do online. SAS has a few niche merchants that produce well for me. I also know that if I send a "buying" customer to a merchant, chances are real good that I'll get paid my commission.

And those checks programs? Yeah, well, I just started fooling with checks. But if it keeps going like it has at the start, I anticipate earning a couple grand a month in check sales commissions by this time next year - and I don't do any serious PPC. Although I might be tempted to try it a bit with the checks products.

Payment levels? Yeah, during my first year with SAS I missed a couple of months because I didn't accrue enough commissions to meet the minimum. But now I count on getting paid (by direct deposit) EVERY month - either on, or shortly after the 20th.

Another "Roast?" comment: Hey, even Spring doesn't fall on the 21st of March EVERY year. And, how about Easter - nearly everybody has to look at a calendar, because very few people know how to determine the date of Easter from year to year.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast