Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Free CJ Feeds?
    Hiya,

Does anyone know where I can find free cj feeds?

Peace,
    Lee

some merchants have them outside of CJ; you have to ask the merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerscove
    Hiya,

Does anyone know where I can find free cj feeds?

Peace,
    Lee
    You can still find a few, but for the ones you really need, unless you pay the $200 dollars, .

Yes, that's one of the more important things I hate about CJ!

You want $200 dollars so I can promote a merchant that will make some money for you? Dream on CJ!

Why does CJ Charge a fee for their datafeeds? Is the data that good and homogeneous across the merchants?
    Thanks,
    Doug

Online Marketing Consultant
    Some merchants feel that the $200 is not justifiable so they use alternate methods like sending the feed through www.bounce.cc, which is what I did with my old program on CJ so that all affiliates could use it.

You may want to check the bounce.cc forum on here to see if the merchant you want is on it.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

http and a telephoto
    Bounce, PopShops and GoldenCan are some of the ways you can get products without using the actual feeds. If you want the feeds to incorporate into your own database you need to apply for the datafeed access and pay the $200 fee (sometimes they will take it as a credit against your account, other times you need to pay it upfront, I am not sure of the criteria for that) or you need to contact your merchants individually and see if they have alternate access for you to get the feeds.

If you want to see what is in a merchant's feed, use the product search within CJ to pull up the products you are looking for and see if it has the data you need.

itsupportnotes, the feeds are all in a standard format, however each merchant supplies its own data, so each feeds "usefullness" still depends on the merchant.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The datafeeds are free if your account has earned at least $10,000 in advertiser sales revenue for *one month* during the past 12 months.

Cant the api be used to pull products feeds from CJ?

I think it sucks they want us to pay for feeds. Thanks for all the suggestions

Peace,
    Lee

Shoes.com and Buy.com have feeds outside of CJ which track via CJ. Look at the static free feeds in this section for Buy.com info, and look at the Shoes.com section for Shoes.com info.

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by iolaire
    Shoes.com and Buy.com have feeds outside of CJ which track via CJ. Look at the static free feeds in this section for Buy.com info, and look at the Shoes.com section for Shoes.com info.
    I applied hundred of times for buy.com's datafeed access but never got any reply.I think it doesnt work.Should we pay 200$.I hope Melissa show this post

Quote Originally Posted by KPR
    Cant the api be used to pull products feeds from CJ?
    Sure it can. You just need to supply it with the mandatory CJ website ID, one or more Advertiser IDs, a CJ Developer Key, and keywords.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerscove
    I think it sucks they want us to pay for feeds
    I'm right with you. Shouldn't datafeeds be free? After all, we are working to make the merchants more money.

Cool
    It isn't the merchant charging you for the feed. It's CJ.

They are ripping you off by charging you for the feed that they got free from the merchant.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Some merchants are listed in cj and sas.

If they happen to be at sas too , I go there. sas doesn't charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Dastic
    Shouldn't datafeeds be free? After all, we are working to make the merchants more money.
    This has to be a resource thing, why should they spend money to help you if your not generating sales? The $200 is more to make sure that you are serious (I think). I've thought about it and it is an investment that I'm not yet ready to make, even though I'm 100% data feeds. As I get more serious, and know that I'm ready to leverage it, I'd pay it in a heart beat.

Talking
    This has to be a resource thing, why should they spend money to help you if your not generating sales?
    Just name who would be spending any extra money, even if a newbie to this business is the one one who wants to get those datafeeds?
    The $200 is more to make sure that you are serious (I think).
    I think you better,
    think again!

If you already have spent your time and money, in order to learn how to use those datafeeds, and in order to promote those merchants on your sites, why should you have to pay $200 dollars, in order to promote any merchant products on your sites that you already have invested the time and money, since you was serious enough to make them the first place?

I've thought about it and it is an investment that I'm not yet ready to make, even though I'm 100% data feeds. As I get more serious, and know that I'm ready to leverage it, I'd pay it in a heart beat.
    Sorry iolaire, but I personally will never pay it in a heart beat, becuse I am by now, and also... because by now that I know better, I have had to become an antonyms of serious, so I now am broke and frivolous too.

It takes money to set up all these feeds. You might think it is just a click of a button - but what about the random emails that will come in? Customer service is one of the most time/resource consuming functions - data feeds are complex and will take even more time. Companies will be asked to answer complex questions from people who have little to no understanding of databases, programming and the like.

For example when you set up the CJ data-feeds (I have access to one set up for free by a merchant where I have high-enough sales to justify it) you have to answer about five questions relating to how you will receive the file, i.e. email, ftp, how to compress it, how to output it (pipe, csv, xml), ect. Someone at CJ has to take 5-10 minutes to set it up. Then they check email you that it is ready, with the expectation that you will followup if there are problems. They don't want to go through those steps just to have someone ask them what is a ftp program or how do I use these things.

Let me ask you this - if someone has learned how to use data-feeds effectively - shouldn't they be able to afford a one time $200 payment? I mean once you start dropping $100/month to process the feeds and host the output - $200 becomes a fairly small amount to amortize.

But overall don't despair, there are enough free feeds out there to get someone going.

I'm right with you. Shouldn't datafeeds be free? After all, we are working to make the merchants more money.
    Good point.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

While $200 isn't all that expensive, it can be quite a hurdle for an affiliate with limited funds to spend (as is the case with me), even if it is a one-time fee.

I sure hope CJ and others like them change this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Dastic
    While $200 isn't all that expensive, it can be quite a hurdle for an affiliate with limited funds to spend (as is the case with me), even if it is a one-time fee.

I sure hope CJ and others like them change this.
    Where can these feeds be found?

Quote Originally Posted by cheapcheapcheap
    Where can these feeds be found?
    At the top of the Data Feed section is a static post called FREE Merchant Datafeeds - read that, there are a few free CJ feeds but you have to request access i.e. Buy.com.

As others have stated, there are programs that offer free data feeds outside CJ. However, some of those feeds are missing pertinent fields in their data feeds (i.e. LastUpdated). Also, similar fields shared between data feeds are often listed in a different order. This difference, though subtle, can make adding data to a database difficult since the feeds are coming from multiple sources and are arranged differently.

Let's look at it this way:
    • gather multiple feeds from multiple locations vs. gathering just one feed from one location with all interested affiliate programs included
    • parse each feed and lump results into an array/data table after writing separate code for each feed to account for the different ordering, spelling, and other discrepancies related to fields vs. parsing just one feed minus the discrepancies using the same code
    • manually download each file everyday or whenever the feeds are updated vs. having CJ automatically sent the feed to your ftp server

This list could probably be extended to account for other things, but you get the picture. While we might not like the $200 price tag on CJ's data feed, it certainly looks like the better option.
    Last edited by Dude-Dastic; May 7th, 2008 at 01:21 AM.

I will be releasing a lite version of Affiliateblogbuilder that offers cj datafeeds based upon your criteria. Merchant, keywords, pricerange, brands etcetc That way you get access to the datafeeds for a few dollars instead of the $200.

I guess I am not allowed to post the release here as it will be promoting my product but pm if you want more info and to stay in touch.

Edwin

Datafeed Costs
    I'd be inclined to pay a one-time fee of $20 to offset the cost of the datafeed processing... and if that were the one-time fee, I imagine there would be a lot more affiliates able to justify the expense.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by edynas
    I will be releasing a lite version of Affiliateblogbuilder that offers cj datafeeds based upon your criteria. Merchant, keywords, pricerange, brands etcetc That way you get access to the datafeeds for a few dollars instead of the $200.

I guess I am not allowed to post the release here as it will be promoting my product but pm if you want more info and to stay in touch.

Edwin
    You aren't able to send or receive PM's yet. I am checking on advertising for another service, there is a way for you to purchase advertising, just need to check in what area on the board you would do that.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast