ABW Ambassador
    The Danmer Experience: An affiliate's story.
    Wasn’t sure if I should post this in the bad merchant practices area or in the thread about Danmer being a thief, if a moderator wants to move it, that’s fine.

Why am I posting this? Because of the way I’ve been treated by Danmer, and patience and waiting to see if they’d do something right, didn’t work. Two weeks ago was the final insult. But again, I tried patience, and surprisingly that returned the same result. Nothing. So for my own health and peace of mind, I am posting this, and so other affiliates can see what to expect in treatment.

Oh yes, and unlike Danmer, in protecting the thief, I’m gonna name names.

The story begins in January, and I first made contact with someone named Larry (2breakthrough (dot) com). I believe he was in charge of Danmer’s marketing or online marketing. Spoke with him over the phone about making a affiliate content website for Danmer, using a binder full of information Danmer uses to educate people during the in home consultation. He thought it would be an interesting idea to try, and I was excited to be working more directly with a company (he agreed to provide the information, I agreed to make the website). After the phone conversation, he emailed me an outline for the website, I replied back with some questions and said I was looking forward to working together.

That I believe happened on a Wednesday (and he said he’d start sending some of it the following week). The following week I emailed him on Friday, having not heard back yet. Six days later I got a reply from him. He said he had been sick, and he’ll get right back on it, so to stay turned. I replied back I understood and waited.

Three weeks go by, I hear nothing from him. I send an email asking if he was still sick.

I don’t hear anything, so I email again (this time 4 days later), and have the OPM* at the time email him too, asking for a response from him.

*I’m keeping the former OPM’s name out of this. You all should know who it was, he is no longer with them, and didn’t do anything wrong in my opinion. So out of respect to him, lets not mention his name. It was mentioned enough in the other thread.

I think around this time, the former OPM announced Danmer’s affiliate program on the boards here. And eventually, he got a response from Larry (not by email though). Larry basically said I should do what all the other affiliates are doing now.

So he broke his agreement with me. Rather annoying. I could have been focused on other things, but like an idiot, was sitting here waiting for information I was supposed to be sent.

Still, I put up a website, 50 for bringing in a lead seemed easier than sales.

Then the former OPM announced Danmer had put together a content page for affiliates. Finally, I thought, I’ll get to use some of that information I was promised, but have to share it with others now. I go and check it, and as some of you know, the “content page” had information copy and pasted from other affiliate websites. Mine included.

That is right. Danmer has a ton of its own content, yet hired some moron to get content through google. I guess you could say that was the big dirty secret I was sitting on. Sorry I didn’t mention it earlier, but my naïve self thought I could still work with this company. Ha!

So the former OPM offered money out of his own pocket to affiliates who were stolen from, I turned that down, because I didn’t blame him. Had the commission bumped up though, then I had the idea, I would ask Danmer for the information that had been promised me. Seemed better than suing, I thought.

The former OPM, despite dropping the company, helped get Larry’s attention. Larry asked for my home address, I replied back giving him my address, double checking to let him know I wanted the binder of information and a CD of the images Danmer has, and to have the commission bump in writing. So, despite a lot of hassle, things seem to be finally turning my way!

Oh, I also emailed the new affiliate manager (Will), or the in house one, the former OPM told me about. (All of this was done on a Thursday I believe)

The following week on Tuesday I noticed google had un-indexed the page from my website that Danmer’s “freelance writer” had stolen from. So I thought this was rather bad. Maybe google was punishing me?! As luck would have it, someone offered to help me with the problem, but I did needed to get some information from Will.

Shot off an email to Will and Larry (telling them I could have THEIR mess fixed for them), along with the former OPM to try and get their attention.

Come Thursday, I’m getting annoyed. No reply to the emails the week before or the one on Tuesday that was really important. The former OPM shoots off another email, Larry finally responds saying he had sent me “brochures and marketing materials” and a CD of pictures is being sent separately. I ask what about getting things in writing?

He tells me I need to contact Will for that. So nice of him to tell me all this the week before, huh? And Will never did reply to any emails, Danmer says they have a new AM the next week. So glad Larry was on top of that for me. Telling me I need stuff from someone who was being replaced.

Monday, two weeks ago, comes and I finally get something in the mail from Danmer. I open it up, and it is not even close to what I asked for. It is what Larry called it, a marketing brochure. Just one. Just one item. That has maybe a little more information than the website, but not really. I took this as a HUGE slap in the face.

After Larry breaks his agreement with me, after Danmer steals from me, after continuing to ignore me, after ignoring my emails to clean up THEIR mess, I am given a big FU by Larry.

This is how they treat an affiliate who is still trying to work with them, after all that. Yes, I was most likely an idiot for trying to stick with this company, trying to work with them, but I thought things could work out. Silly me, to think that intelligence and Danmer went together.

Oh, and why I waited two weeks in posting this, was for the separate CD being sent to me. I held out hope, the information I actually asked for would come with it. Nothing has come. And if Larry didn’t want to share that information with me, why not tell me that? Oh right, because replying to emails seems too much hassle for him.

And that’s my Danmer experience.

You more experienced affiliates, I do anything wrong here, besides being overly patient? But at least I can put this fun chapter of my life behind me now.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Wow that's incredibly messed up. Definitely a word to the wise in dealing with this company, and also just a reminder that affiliates need to be on their guard. I say that as a budding affiliate myself, not as an AM. Although this tale of woe also serves us AMs who are trying to do our best to deal with our affiliates in the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardaka
    You more experienced affiliates, I do anything wrong here, besides being overly patient? But at least I can put this fun chapter of my life behind me now.
    Well, I used to be an affiliate so I'll answer

You were way too patient with them. I would be pissed too but would have given them one chance to make it right. Failing that, bye-bye. A commish bump is not payment for what happened. They messed up and should have compensated you. Earning your own compensation is BS!
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    You were way too patient with them.
    Yeah, I agree there. Was a good learning experience, in that regard. If another merchant starts screwing around with me, I'll be much quicker to drop and/or expose them.
    They messed up and should have compensated you. Earning your own compensation is BS!
    Yeah, and since I don't have anything in writing, I think I still have the option to sue on the table right? Though would I be able to get enough to cover lawyer fees? lol

I think you did the right thing by being patient. If you would have acted quicker, it wouldn't have been as clear that they were up to no good. You went above and beyond.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

This is really, really a shame.

You didn't do anything wrong, Hardaka. You were simply trying to be a real value added affiliate, and unfortunately, you just seemed to pick the wrong company to try it with.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Just move on.. don't waste time on those fools
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

ABW Ambassador
    ske, I wasted four months, lol. But I have wised up and I'm not devoting anymore time to them.

And to the two above, thanks.

It just seemed like no sane person would run things this way, that I must have been doing something wrong. Logically, I thought I wasn't. It really doesn't make sense though, some of you in the other thread were saying how us affected affiliates could have sued for a lot of money, and so I'd think Danmer would be trying to please us and treat us well. Make us happy, since I think most lawsuits come when the injured party is pissed off and feels like the injurer doesn't care.

And now being in that boat, I'd love too, if it'd be worth the trouble. Quite a 180 from when I thought things could be worked out, lol.

screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me.

ABW Ambassador
    LOL, yeah.

I still think any affiliate affected by the (C) infringement should seek council and act, short of that, chalk it up to learning experience.

That all said, yeah you did the right thing Hardaka.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    I still think any affiliate affected by the (C) infringement should seek council and act, short of that, chalk it up to learning experience.

That all said, yeah you did the right thing Hardaka.
    Yeah, considering I couldn't get what I want in writing provided to me, I haven't signed anything. So I am really thinking legal action might be good, especially since their offer to earning the compensation is pretty much worthless. I must earn it, yet they will not help even at the level a normal AM should? Bah.

And thanks.

Hardaka, you've certainly shown that these people are a pain in the butt to work with and they don't do what they say they'll do. I'm learning through your experience - you operate in a way I don't normally operate. Thank you for sharing your story.

However, one point I'm not clear about is how this Larry fellow, not being directly employed by Danmer, would be able to pass or extend copyright to you for the material. He probably promised what he couldn't deliver.

On the other hand, I would have *LOVED* to see what was on this CD and binder. Betcha it was full of copyright infringements. Betcha that was the reason you never received it.

ABW Ambassador
    Glad others can learn from this too Mr_C and you're welcome.

About Larry. He is employed by Danmer (or hired to work for them). The former OPM said he was Will's boss, who was the in house AM. I don't know the exact details, but he was in charge of the marketing. Either overall or online. Not sure there.

So the binder and CD must have been given to him by Danmer for marketing purposes. If he wasn't allowed to share though, well, he would have saved me and him a lot of trouble if he just said that. That seems much easier than the stringing me along and run around he gave me.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread