ABW Ambassador
    Linkshare Using an Old Email Address and Privacy Issue
    I just received an email about early registration for the Linkshare Symposium. It was sent to my primary domain email address which I was forced to remove from my Linkshare profile nearly a year ago due to my host pegging Linkshare's email as spam. Since that time, I have used a Gmail account in my Linkshare profile (both channels).

The email that came today actually was sent by Cvent, their third-party event planner even though the From: email address says events@linkshare.com. The header to the email shows Cvent's IP address though. So Cvent basically spoofed Linkshare's email address.

Apparently, Linkshare hasn't provided Cvent with a current email distribution list, but what is more troublesome to me about this is that Linkshare has provided Cvent with the full name and email address of their affiliates (I don't know about merchants). Linkshare's own email blasts (such as their newsletters) don't even have my real name on them. They only have my Linkshare login name on them.

Linkshare should not be providing their customers' names and/or email addresses to third parties for solicitation purposes. This email should have come directly from Linkshare with an indication that future correspondence to those who've registered may come from their third-party event planner.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    I agree, anyone sending emails in this day & age should be hyper aware of privacy issues like this.

On the topic of LinkShare & email issues... in the old publisher interface you had to put in a different email address for each marketing channel, and in the new interface just one main email (like every other network). I noticed I was getting emails to the others and that's how I found this.

So, point is - maybe the interface switch is causing email problems for them?

ABW Ambassador
    in the old publisher interface you had to put in a different email address for each marketing channel, and in the new interface just one main email
    In the old interface, you have to list an email address for each channel but they do not need to be different email addresses.

Both of my channels in the old interface and my profile in the new interface all list the same email address which is not the email address I received that email to. The email address it came to hasn't been anywhere in my Linkshare account since August, 2007 (I just found the verification email that Linkshare sent me when I changed the email address in my account (both channels).)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Linkshare should not be providing their customers' names and/or email addresses to third parties for solicitation purposes. This email should have come directly from Linkshare with an indication that future correspondence to those who've registered may come from their third-party event planner.
    This is not giving the information to a third party for solicitation - Linkshare Symposium is a Linkshare event, and they are simply using Cvent's event planning system to send out a Linkshare invitation to a Linkshare event.

To me, this is no different from how Shopping.com uses ExactTarget (a third party mailing list solution provider) to communicate with all of its affiliates, or how CJ uses Custhelp.com to provide their support interface.

As for the "from" email address, "spoofing" the from email address on an email sent out by a company through a third party mailing list provider is very common.

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    In the old interface, you have to list an email address for each channel but they do not need to be different email addresses.
    I'm sorry, that's what I meant. I just worded it wrong.

And to what Joshua said, you're right... using a third party email provider is the most fail safe method to control unsubscribed emails and you always change the From to show your company name or email. I was under the impression that cvent was a true third party, not a vendor.

ABW Ambassador LinkShare Moderator's Avatar
    Hi Snowman,

I apologize for this inconvenience. Our event registration is maintained separately from your LinkShare publisher account information, and as such, we may have an email on file from a previous event.

If you want to PM me, I can give our team your updated email address, or feel free to contact our events team directly at events@linkshare.com.

Either way, we will update your information to ensure we no longer use an old email address, or alternately, show you how to opt out of receiving further communications.

Once again, my apologies.

Best,
    Ranae

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread