Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    NFL 2008 Draft
    Coming this weekend, something to hold me over until the season starts and we already have some action:

Dolphins to make Jake Long draft's top pick

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8060536?MSNHPHMA

What ya thinking Trust we get a qb in Atlanta in Ryan. I always like to draft defense, defense and more defense.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    I have no idea on this one. If it's D, they can get Long, Dorsey etc. Offense, should they get Ryan, McFadden? I just don't know. You think Ryan should be our pick? And just now reading, keep in mind, they also have 3 second round picks and who knows, they might trade that first round pick.

Just wanted to add, those 3 picks in the second round are pretty much in the first half of the second round, so we should have a good draft. In the second round they have the 3rd, 6th and 17th picks.

And didn't even know we picked up K Jason Elam last month.
    Last edited by Trust; April 22nd, 2008 at 04:59 PM.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    If Atl wants to try to keep things on the straight and narrow, then they better stay away from McFadden; he's another Pacman/Vick/Tank Johnson/Chris Henry waiting to happen.

If they really want a quality guy, then they should pick Howie Long's son, Chris, who scouts also say is the most-prepared player in the draft, ready to step in and play on day 1.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

I would like to get Long, He is better prepared for life in the NFL. Mcfadden is not on the ATL draft board. Still glad I didn't renew my season tickets, think its gonna be an uglier season then we are use to.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    True, not McFadden. I think we're solid at RB with Turner and Norwood (6.0 yards per carry last year) We could go for a lot of D, the new head coach was one of the best defensive coordinators and I could never remember Atlanta having a great defense. I think we're going to be alright, maybe not immediately but I don't think it's going to be as bad as a lot of people think. So it's looking like Ryan or Long, depending on what the Rams do and if they trade the pick.

Outsourced Program Manager Affiliate Eagle's Avatar
    A lineman as the first pick? That's why I will never be 100% a Dolphins fan. I just can't understand why Miami cant get it right. The last Lineman to go in the first round was in 1970, what the hell is Miami thinking. Last I remember we had an over abundance of offensive weapons right? WRONG!

Just like they made a big mistake last year by bringing Trent Green, a QB past his prime, to the team, Drafting Ted Ginn in the 1st round and passing up on Brady Quinn, theyre making a big mistake again. I know we probably won't 1-15 again, but I dont see the logic. Lineman in College are a dime a dozen, this is BS!

The Dolphins have no QB, they have no RB and they're going after a lineman? To protect who? Parcells from the fans! I guess me and Andy will get another hell of a deal on our season tickets again....This is pathethic...
    Emilio Yepez
    Affiliate Program Manager
    www.lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    PH: 305 389 8955
    AIM: affiliateagle
    Email: emilio@lighthouseinternetmedia.com
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

Quote Originally Posted by Emilio-ARC
    The Dolphins have no QB
    Word is that Parcells wants John Beck as his QB.

they have no RB and they're going after a lineman?
    Last time I looked they had Ronnie Brown who was playing really well until his injury last season, and they still also have Ricky Williams.

From the AP story:
    "Long becomes the highest-paid lineman in the NFL...
    "...
    “Jake was our guy from the beginning,” general manager Jeff Ireland said. “Jake Long was on the top of our board for a long time. There wasn’t a whole lot of debate. We thought it was a very good fit with the Miami Dolphins.”
    "...
    "The only other offensive lineman taken with the No. 1 choice since 1970 was Ohio State tackle Orlando Pace, who made the Pro Bowl seven consecutive times..."
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Word is that Parcells wants John Beck as his QB.

Last time I looked they had Ronnie Brown who was playing really well until his injury last season, and they still also have Ricky Williams.

From the AP story:

Ronnie Brown great RB, but not at 100%. Who knows what the outcome will be this year. Jake Long is one guy, if Ronnie decides to run to the right, I hope Jake pulls to help out the team, if not, Ronnie is toast!

Ricky Williams, please...Let see if he can get past the testing....Completely unrealiable, was injured after two plays, hasnt played in over two years. Not a chance.

Beck? I heard that one before. Top rated player during the draft, but didnt do a single thing last year! The proof is in the record. He's not that good...Maybe parcell's can do something with him...

I would have definitely gone with Ryan, traded Beck for a Wide reciver and would put Ginn on the opposite side. To bad, so sad Miami...arrgghh
    Emilio Yepez
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Programs Managed - Join Now! | Navarro.com|| OneWayFurniture | OnlyKidsHangers | EverythingHangers.com | RejuvByCaci.com |

ABW Ambassador
    I'll attempt to put a positive spin on it for the Dolphin fans.

You can only go up from here, I mean, you can't get much worse than 1-15

As far as RB, I haven't kept up with it, but you do have Ronnie Brown, if he's healthy again, you have a very good RB.

Offensive Lineman is not a flashy position but take a look at the Cleveland Browns. They got Joe Thomas on the line as a rookie and they were talking about how good it made them, Derek Anderson had a great year because he actually had time to throw. Have no idea who your QB will be.

"The last Lineman to go in the first round was in 1970,"

Did you mean first pick?

You got Parcells, Sparano, so some good coaches. It's going to take some time, they need help just about everywhere.

If Long stays healthy and has a nice career, good pick. I've watched some Michigan games and he stood out, just pushing people around, dominating them. Only gave up 2 sacks in his college career, only called for 2 penalities. Pretty solid.

Yes trust first pick. Sorry, got a little heated...
    Emilio Yepez
    Follow Me On My Twitter

Ronnie Brown great RB, but not at 100%. Who knows what the outcome will be this year. Jake Long is one guy, if Ronnie decides to run to the right, I hope Jake pulls to help out the team, if not, Ronnie is toast!

Ricky Williams, please...Let see if he can get past the testing....Completely unrealiable, was injured after two plays, hasnt played in over two years. Not a chance.

Beck? I heard that one before. Top rated player during the draft, but didnt do a single thing last year! The proof is in the record. He's not that good...Maybe parcell's can do something with him...

I would have definitely gone with Ryan, traded Beck for a Wide reciver and would put Ginn on the opposite side. To bad, so sad Miami...arrgghh
    It could be a lot worse - at least you have a team to grouse about!

LA = big, fat NFL ZERO

Dolphin depth chart for WR after Ginn: Ernest Wilford, Derek Hagan, David Kircus, Greg Camarillo, and Tab Perry. This would seem to be an area that needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    It could be a lot worse - at least you have a team to grouse about!

LA = big, fat NFL ZERO

Dolphin depth chart for WR after Ginn: Ernest Wilford, Derek Hagan, David Kircus, Greg Camarillo, and Tab Perry. This would seem to be an area that needs work.

I hear you...I hear you...

I guess we will see between now and the trade deadline what Parcells and company will do...
    Emilio Yepez
    Follow Me On My Twitter

There is no reason to draft someone in the first round that will never touch the football, unless he is picking up a Beck fumble.

Emilio I am with you on this they needed to draft anyone but an offensive lineman.

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    I love the idea of building a team from the lines out. If you can't protect Beck, how do you know if he is any good? Tom Brady, as much as I love the guy, looks normal when our O-line isnt playing well. He would have thrown for half the touchdowns he did this year if he had Miami's O-line. Picking Long first overall, is a bit of a reach, however he is a top five value and fits Miami's need. I figured they would try to trade down, they just didn't have any dance partners. Parcells got his guy, I would be pumped if I were a Dolphins fan. There is no one better at rebuilding an NFL team than Bill Parcells. I like this pick one thousand times more than the Ginn pick at 9 last year. That was a joke.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent E.
    I love the idea of building a team from the lines out.
    Agreed...football is won and lost in the trenches. If you have a good to great OL and DL, it makes the rest of your team better regardless of talent.

That being said, I don't like the Jake Long pick. I don't think an OL should ever go first unless they have can't miss Hall of Famer written all over them like an Orlando Pace type. Jake should be a solid player in the pro's but I don't think he's a #1 overall talent.

They had a great opportunity to get an NFL ready made DL in Chris Long. Miami could have easily taken a solid starting OL (if not pro bowl caliber with Parcells track record) in the mid rounds.

Bob
    Last edited by Robert Drumm; April 23rd, 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling

You know what I say.....

Miami is doomed....

I will gladly take back these words at the end of the season, but I've seen this happen way to many times...Its a joke...Not to mention they somewhat took out all the fun for Saturday's draft..
    Emilio Yepez
    Follow Me On My Twitter

i have to disagree, i think it was a great pick. OL can play 10-15 years if they stay healthy. and they make a huge difference in the offense. I think I have spent too much time as an eagles fan, Reid takes a lineman almost every draft.

QB in the first round is so risky, look at the drafts, littered with QBs taken early, tons of $ and nothing. David Carr anyone?

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent E.
    I love the idea of building a team from the lines out. If you can't protect Beck, how do you know if he is any good? Tom Brady, as much as I love the guy, looks normal when our O-line isnt playing well. He would have thrown for half the touchdowns he did this year if he had Miami's O-line. Picking Long first overall, is a bit of a reach, however he is a top five value and fits Miami's need. I figured they would try to trade down, they just didn't have any dance partners. Parcells got his guy, I would be pumped if I were a Dolphins fan. There is no one better at rebuilding an NFL team than Bill Parcells. I like this pick one thousand times more than the Ginn pick at 9 last year. That was a joke.
    I agree, if you can give you quarterback even 2 extra seconds, then he can have the ability to make a much better play.
    I look for the Steelers to possibly look for a RB their first round pick. I also look for them to pick up a good linemen to help put the pressure on the QB instead of the linebackers like we always have.

I like the changes this year too, except starting the draft at 3 instead of 12, but I like the 10 min time clock instead of 15 minutes, and since Miami has already chosen, that speeds it along a little more, especially when your waiting for your team at 23, if they don't trade it away, which rumor has it may happen.

Ahh, I love this weekend. Lock up the house, take the phones off the hook, cook the pierogies and kielbasa and a case of beer, and kick back. It means football season is around the corner.

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunshiner
    Ahh, I love this weekend. Lock up the house, take the phones off the hook, cook the pierogies and kielbasa and a case of beer, and kick back. It means football season is around the corner.

WELL SAID!!! I just got goose bumps from your post sunshiner.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

Outsourced Program Manager RogerSnow's Avatar
    Hopefully my Rams can turn things around this season. Some good young draft picks would be nice for down the road. We are going to miss the irreplaceable Isaac Bruce!
    Roger Snow | Team Manager | Snow Consulting, Inc.
    email: info AT snow-consulting.com | View Our Clients & Affiliate Blogs | MSN: ramschamps@hotmail.com | AIM: RogerColorGuy | GoogleTalk: snowconsulting9 | Skype: snowconsulting

Quote Originally Posted by TheSnowman
    Hopefully my Rams can turn things around this season. Some good young draft picks would be nice for down the road. We are going to miss the irreplaceable Isaac Bruce!
    Would be good to see them take Howie Longs son, but they may be taking Dorsey out of LSU. I hear they are talking about trading their number two pick and getting two number 3's in the second round.

Hmmm. I think taking a strong guy like Dorsey would be much better than a couple of mediocre players. They need help on the D-line badly.
    email: info AT snow-consulting.com | View Our Clients & Affiliate Blogs | MSN: ramschamps@hotmail.com | AIM: RogerColorGuy | GoogleTalk: snowconsulting9 | Skype: snowconsulting

Great move for my Rams in taking Chris Long. I hope he is as good as his Dad was. If so, The Rams will have a stud for years!

Oh ya, I'll take it....Steelers first round, Mendenhall, was hoping for that. Alright...

Good for you Snowman, Rams taking Chris Long. Good move on their part.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast