Publishing Products at different websites
    Hello Experts,

Currently I own an E-commerce website that sells various products. Recently, many people have asked me to publish my product at their website in return of commission for each purchase.
    In order to implement the idea I keep asking myself few questions
    1. How can they connect to my store and publish cretin products (or all the product just in random)?
    2. How could I know that people have purchased through their website?
    3. How do I implement this? What application should I use?

I think that affiliate program is the right solution to question 2 but I really don't know how to implement this...

Thank you very much

ABW Ambassador
    Look here or join a network like shareasale.

Yes, it sounds like an affiliate program will do exactly what you want. Probably the easiest solution is to use a third-party affiliate network like ShareASale.com.

In a nutshell, an affiliate program works like this:

1) You set a commission that you're willing to pay, provide links, banners, and perhaps a datafeed.
    2) You add some relatively simple tracking code into your confirmation page that will cause affiliate sales to be reported back to the network.
    3) Affiliates who are interested in promoting you and/or your proucts apply to your program and you approve the ones you want to work with (or auto-approve).
    4) Affiliates put links up on their web sites.
    5) When customers click through from the affiliate web sites and place orders, the orders are reported on the affiliate network and the affiliates will get paid. You maintain an escrow account (which can be funded with auto-deposits when the balance gets low) on the network to cover the affiliate commissions and the network fees.

There's quite a bit more to running a successful program (and you can find some links that will help in my signature), but that's the technical mechanics of it.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Online Marketing Consultant
    Hi Chess Master and welcome to ABW.

Another route you can take is to hire an Outsourced Program Manager to run the program for you. Each one has its strong points and each one has its weak points. Some work with adware and toolbar applications that can poach commissions, while others do not.

I'd be happy to talk to you about the OPM services we provide if you would like. Please feel free to email me at adam @ downtownecommerce.com. There are also a lot of other good firms here as well.

You can also search the affiliate managers forum and find out about how to run and manage a program in house too.

Welcome to ABW and please feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Best,

Adam
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

Many thanks
    Thank you very much guys. Very quick and helpful

After understanding few things I came up with some more questions...

1. I heard about ClickBank. Is it the same Idea as Shareasale? What are the differences?
    2. Can users join the affiliate program through a form in my website or they need to know join shareasale first?
    3. From what I understand I need to post the products manually in shareasale. Is there a way to automate the procedure? (I use OScommerce... Maybe it is useful ).

Just for general knowledge. In the short term I would like to use my own affiliates (People that I know of).
    Maybe in the long run I will try opening my affiliate program to everyone who wants to sell my products.
    One important thing - I sell actual products (Chess Equipment).

Thanks….
    Last edited by ChessMaster; April 23rd, 2008 at 01:04 PM.

ClickBank deals primarily in downloadables from what I understand. The most popular Merchants in SAS use a datafeed. If you want to know what people think of the two networks, just do a search; up at the top of the page is the search feature, and you'll get more unbiased information in a minute than you will in a few days on one thread.

Well ... I kinda understood it all.
    However, there is one thing that I really don't understand even looking throughout the forum.
    From what I understand if I will use Shareasale I won't have "join our affiliate program" Section on my website. If they want to be my affiliate they will have to join shareasale by themselves. is it true? Did I understand it correctly?

I saw that many website has affiliate program section on their website. How do they usually do it? Do they build a custom affiliate program? What is more recommended (in terms of fraud protection, features, what affiliates prefer and maybe more issues that i didn't think of).

No, you can still have links and an affiliate page on your site. They still sign up on SAS. Just take a look at how most other SAS merchants do it. For instance, on every page of CrazyForBargains.com, their standard template footer has an Affiliate Program link. That page has details about their program and a link (which goes to SAS) to sign up.

I think you'll find that most affiliates will come directly from the network and your recruiting campaigns rather than from your site, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Can I weigh in here? Great questions and replies, now I have one of my own. The company I work for is looking at a number of networks ranging from SaS to Linkshare to....there are SO many! I've read a lot in here and I note that many, many posts and replies seem to reference SaS: does that mean that there's an overwhelming support of them? I've done demos with a number of different networks and it looks to me like there are some strengths to Linkshare (for example - my ability to be proactive in contacting affiliates) that I don't see with SaS.
    Is there any comprehensive list of networks around? (Apologies if I've just missed it here on the site). Also, just cruising around I've seen a number of what appear to be smaller (?) networks or at least less well-known such as kowabunga! and others - is there a comprehensive review of all these networks? Any opinions would be appreciated!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasCos
    Is there any comprehensive list of networks around? (Apologies if I've just missed it here on the site). Also, just cruising around I've seen a number of what appear to be smaller (?) networks or at least less well-known such as kowabunga! and others - is there a comprehensive review of all these networks? Any opinions would be appreciated!
    You would probably like to look at the "ABW Best of" by year lists - If you do a search for "Best Network" - you'll find a few year's worth of voting and the outcome, plus a list of the top networks. If the network isn't in those lists, avoid them.

It'll be a real eye opener for you and Chess Master.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

If you're going to be working with an OPM, talk to them first. They'll probably have a network that they prefer to work with.

For most (but by no means all) affiliates here on ABW, we strongly prefer ShareASale.com because of their firm stance against parasites. AvantLink, AffiliateFuture, and Buy.at all have similar stances. These would be the preferred networks for most affiliates here, based on polls.

Beyond that, the three largest networks (in no particular order) are CJ, LinkShare, and Performics. There are some advantages that come with their size, but that's offset by the parasites. These are preferred by some affiliates here.

Then there are others like Kowabunga and PepperJam, which aren't as big and aren't parasite-free. I don't see any benefit in using these networks.

There are also hundreds of CPA Networks, which I recommend avoiding like a plague.

Finally, I should point out that many affiliates will work with you no matter where you go. Some refuse to work with certain networks and some only work with certain networks, but most big affiliates work with all of the networks. We have our preferences, though.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Boy, I feel like I've hit the mother lode. You can't imagine how helpful this is. The way we see it, if we're working closely with our affiliates, we might as well do it in the way that works best for both parties. I've read (and printed off) Michael's "Consolidated List of Affiliate Friendly Policies" and feel like we're right there, but deciding which network to work with is such a HUGE piece of the puzzle that I've been really reluctant to jump in. Now, my one concern with ShareaSale has been the seeming fact that I have no way to proactively contact affiliates, but I'm hopeful that by using abestweb we can counter that. These really are terrific forums; they seem to represent the best of the web to me - much to glean and maybe someday when I actually know something - to give. Thanks again - I'll keep in touch.

As you browse the forum you may notice that some Merchants have their own forum. That is a big way to get the word out about your program, to communicate promotions and changes. It gives these Merchants a "storefront" where the affiliates are discussing issues and looking for new programs to work with. The merchants who just sign up with a network and wait to be found might wonder after six months or so of waiting what they're doing wrong. They are missing the 'shoppers' here in the affiliate mall.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread