Creating quality content without spinning or twisting?
    Dear fellow ABWers,

Thanks in advance for your time considering my inquiry...

Although it's been said over and over that quality content is 'King'. No doubt true, but of course it's not the sole reason for generating good traffic, as there are other important components in creating a high quality site.

However, for arguments sake, let's suppose that you are hell-bent with just the quality content (text) aspect of it for now...

I understand that Google has programs that can detect whether you've used other info on the web for your own use, where people change the wording around so it's not 'exactly' duplicated - otherwise known as 'spinning or twisting' other peoples' articles/info.

Okay fair enough, but other than a library which are few and far between where I live, how else can you obtain value-related info from the web, BUT, at the same time, not use other site's contents and mix it in with your own text without getting caught by the Google Police? I want to play by the rules, as I would not want Google to shut down my site due to this method of creating content.

Kind of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario, as the internet is so highly sought after to obtain info in any genre.

Your thoughts will be highly appreciated indeed!

Thanks for listening,
    Mark

It's not an easy task to come up with original content in an "area" in which you are not intimately acquainted. It is akin to writing a term paper in college.

Read, read, read, take notes on "general themes," take notes on "main ideas," take notes on "specific topics," and only then begin writing - from what you have learned and from your notes.

To make your content more interesting try to find related pictures with which to illustrate your new narrative. Use sources like iStockPhoto and Clipart-dot-com, so you can keep costs to a minimum and still find some quality work. Be sure to write descriptive captions about those images.

It is indeed difficult to develop "good" new content on topics with which you are not familiar; however, it is not an unsurmountable task. But, that is why I usually recommend to "beginners" that they find a niche in which they have a level of personal interest - they will already have unique knowledge (content-already in your head).

I am fortunate that I have a daughter who is good at research and likes to write. She has a "summer job" working for her Dad.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Dear Beachy,

Thanks very much indeed for you reply and insight...certainly what you said all makes perfect sense. I guess, that even if you're a 'jack of all trades', your personal knowledge of various topics will eventually run dry and one will really need to resort to the internet for additional info.

Funny you mention the photo idea, as I'm actually a part time pro photographer and travel writer and even writing about various destinations, I still have to come up with 'unique content' to stay ahead of the game

I guess I'm befuddled with the fact, that I will not always be able to market/promote topics, products, or services that I personally have a close affiliation (pardon the pun). For example, and just using this as a true example with no intention of pursuing it, as it's overly saturated....but the pet industry is highly sought after for both consumers and marketers - a multi-million dollar industry I believe.

However, if I don't know a darn thing about how to rid your dog of fleas and ticks, I would have to resort to the web (granted maybe friends with this problem also with their pets), for info and tutorials regarding this and I would then have to 'spin' that info to make it sound like it came from my own head, which Google will inevitably pick up - thus my quandary.

I really appreciate your thoughts and time Beachy, it will be duly noted - thanks a bunch
    Mark

http and a telephoto
    It sounds like you would be a perfect fit for a travel program (See Viator in my sig and our forum here) and for a new site I am launching next week. Shoot me an email at dc at loxlygallery.com if you would like to know more.

Yes photography can be great content
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    "Original" content is an interesting term.

Three people can be involved in an auto accident and be asked to write about the event. Although they will be writing about the same thing the perspective will be slightly different in each case.

Each of their topics are identical but the content is "original".
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

It's not an easy task to come up with original content in an "area" in which you are not intimately acquainted.
    This is true. I don't mean to sound harsh in any way, but if you are not intimately acquainted with a certain subject matter or product, you shouldn't be writing about it any way.

It is sad to see all these affiliates trying to "guide" other affiliates with the same old rehashed stuff, because they don't have an original idea of their own or don't want to take the time to write original content. Or, to see so many trying to sell the same affiliate products with the same, or slightly re-worked, text. Most never even have any experience with the product/service they are trying to sell, so how could they have any original content?

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Beachy
    ...It is akin to writing a term paper in college...
    I had often times thought of digging out my 10-40 page college works and making a mini-site out of them. Of course that would mean that I would have to do AdSense. Maybe one day.

-sfcom

Hi Loxly,

Thank you for your reply and I appreciate your offer

I live here in Southeast Asia and I'm trying to take advantage of that, by obtaining photos that aren't too common back in the west to assist me as a potential marketing tool in this particular business....God willing with fingers AND toes crossed.

I have been well informed that if prospective clients/customers can see you and/or hear you during the marking process, it's a big plus. Building lists via email, is still an integral aspect of the equation, but that is only one cog to the immense machine in which we're all trying to manufacture, for not only our customers betterment, but obviously for ours also.

Thank you for the invitation and will be in touch in the near future

Thank you for responding!
    Mark

Leader will probably be along shortly to say that content is overrated. I'll make the surprise move of preemptively agreeing.

It's not necessarily content (unique or not) that draws people to a site. It's a variety of things, but one of the most essential aspects is providing value. You can define that in several different ways. Think about the sites you use and why you use them. Think about the things you wish you could find a site to do. Those things will help you figure out what can provide value.

Just as an example of some sites that I use regularly and how they provide value to me:

Google - Has no unique content, but makes it really easy to find just about anything you want. How do they provide value? By organizing things.

ABestWeb.com - Has tons of user-generated content, but it's not just random user-generated content. It's virtually all related to affiliate marketing, and it's very high quality content. It's also a community. To me, it provides value both through the community and the easily searchable repository of affiliate-related information.

Yahoo Finance - There's hardly any unique/original content there. The stock prices, news, and other statistics there are available on almost any other finance site and it almost all comes from third parties. They provide value to me by making it easily searchable, easily navigable and comprehensive. I can track multiple portfolios and seldom have to go anywhere else.

Various Price Comparison Sites - No original content at all, but they help me find the best prices by organizing details from other sites.

Wikipedia... User generated.

BabyCenter... Articles about kids. Not just random articles generated from resourced content or outsourced to people in developing countries, but real useful articles written by professionals about things parents want to know.

Facebook... Community.

TripAdvisor... Reviews and ratings, mostly user-generated content, but extremely well organized and comprehensive.

Recipezaar... Recipes and tons of extra features that help you find them. User-generated content, but extremely well organized.

I could go on and on, but the point should be clear. It's not simply "original content" that makes a site valuable. Sometimes it's organization. Sometimes it's community. Sometimes it's authority. Sometimes it's comprehensiveness. Often it's several aspects. Simply reformatting content, writing (or outsourcing) low-quality articles, or generating tons of unorganized pages just isn't going to cut it. You have to provide value.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Thanks for your insights, Michael. I appreciate them.

Jim

Hi Michael,

I have to say that you really hit the nail on the head and thanks for taking the time to write it out in great length - very nice of you

Yes it's true, over the last 1-2 years getting to learn this whole arena, I have been certainly educated with the fact, that it is crucial that we provide value to our customers and the examples you gave are bang-on.

Regarding your last sentence Michael, when you mentioned that 'sometimes it's organization', 'sometimes it's authority', 'sometimes it's community' and 'sometimes it's comprehensiveness'.....if I may go out on a limb and say that it may in fact, be all of the above and more. It's seemingly a combination of various elements - so true.

Getting back to my initial question though, I guess I was just hung up on the 'text' aspect of it. I understand it's not just writing good articles, as we've stated above, but just wanting to know how to get around not wishing to take some other site's content, but knowing that you will often need to obtain such info for your own site?

Nowadays, if we want to get information, whether if it's for business, or personal reasons, where is the first place we look? Libraries are seemingly becoming obsolete and quite possibly their reference material may be outdated (not entirely of course however) - hence ourselves seeking fresh info on the net. Frustratingly, this is really the one aspect of affiliate marketing that is really nagging me - how NOT to 'spin' content.

Thanks a bunch Michael - great response!

Best,
    Mark

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread