Suggest a Inspirational Weight Loss Book
    I would love to know if you've read a book or article, or seen a blog or site, that has inspired you in your weight loss goals.
    I am in the middle of reading "Hungry" by Allen Zadoff and am so impressed by his honesty and views of what he determines is his food addiction.
    Also, I visit this blog daily:
    http://www.pastaqueen.com/halfofme/

Jennette Fulda (aka pastaqueen) has just written a book based on her 2 year struggle to lose over 200 pounds. If you visit the site, click on the "progess" tab. She's taken photos of herself from the very beginning, and the using her skills as a web designer, allows you to spin the images to see 365 degree views of her. Now that takes some serious guts!

My biggest motivational book was "you on a diet" and "calorie king" because with facts and information on the body I learned about eating and the body, weight then loss became a science [to me] instead of being a mystery that could easily be derailed by misinformation or trivial changes in eating.

PastaQeeen, does have guts, but she should be very proud, she's done an amazing job!!!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    Books are good, but the key to changing your weight is to change your behavior.

Most people need to reduce the amount of food they eat and increase exercise.

Try to make sure you have a way to do that every day.

Outlaw some foods like soda, or reduce to one a day. If you dont drink them for a while even having one is disgusting.

Set aside about 30 - 45 minutes a day at least 3 times a week. Before your shower in the morning works well for me. Wake up a little early and just get it done. That increases your metabolism.

Also if you have to exercise with all your extra weight you will find ways to get it off.

You know what's really funny (but in a bad way), I am the fattest person I know that doesn't eat enough!!!!
    I find it a struggle to eat which in turns leaves me with no energy to work out and exercise. It's a constant struggle. So I guess at this point, my metabolism is so whacked that no matter what I eat, healthy or not, it just goes to fat.
    I don't drink soda or eat fast food. I am happiest with a huge salad with lots of veggies. I am so looking forward to the Farmers' Market opening this weekend.
    I am not a sweets person either.
    I just find that I have no energy to workout!!!

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    ...I just find that I have no energy to workout!!!
    It is just a change that takes a little time. You have to work your way up to it. Don't go and try to do a 10 mile bike ride if you can't even run around the block, that will just frustrate your mind and your body. Baby steps. As your body gets used to the activity then your energy level will increase also.

You just have to start off with something. Choose 5 miles/day walking or jogging and build your way up to that by going 1 mile/day first (even if it seems easy.) Do that for a week then go to 1.5 miles/day, etc. Don't jump to 3 miles. Do it all in 1/2 mile adjustments. You probably won't lose weight like you were entering the armed forces for basic training, but the overall benefits of more energy and higher metabolism will help you more in the long run. After all, we aren't 18 anymore. lol.

-sfcom

my biggest motivational book was ...I know some of you may cringe..."Body For Life".

The pics infront and back of befores and afters were just motivation for me to get started. Lots of great info in the book, not only the physical part, exercise, nutritional part but lot of sticking with the diet is mental. That is huge.

Also, the one thing they say is to take 'before' pics to motivate you. boy talk about reality check... another cringe... but when the 12 weeks were up and you take your 'after' pics. That is such a great satisfaction.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Based on your thread title I'd suggest "The Maker's Diet".

It's a diet based on scriptural foods. My daughter in law and son went on the diet a year ago and I was astounded at their success.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

It's good for you that you are going to loss weight. Me, I wanted to gain weight. People would think that I am still a teenager because of my body structure. Actually, I am 28 years old, married and I got two beautiful kids. My height is 5'0" and I only weigh 38 kilos. Is this weight is the right for my age? I really wanted to gain weight. Can anyone help me?
    Last edited by Trust; June 9th, 2008 at 02:57 AM. Reason: spam

Maybe check out "Eat Right 4 Your Blood Type" (or whatever). I avoided this book for years because of the really stupid name, but finally borrowed it from the lib on a recommendation.

I was impressed. First of all, I know for sure that one-size-fits-all diets are BAD. For example, a few years back I was a raw vegan for about six months. During the whole time I felt great, clear skin/eyes/etc. but at the end my hair started to fall out. Other people thrived on it, but I was starting to go south with the lack of animal protein. Some people can eat a diet of almost entirely fruit and do very well -- definitely not me.

According to this book I am practically a cartoon of Type O, which means a physical caveman/woman ... mentally and emotionally too! I can eat a LOT of red meat and thrive, but breads are bad. Dairy is a complete no-go, and I can't handle distilled alcohol at all. To discharge stress I have to really go out and break a sweat, a "brisk walk" just won't cut it.

OTOH my husband is a classic Type A or agricultural era physique: consensus-motivated, urban, does best with a largely vegetarian diet, can do dairy and alcohol just fine, needs to skip the red meat almost all of the time, and yoga suits him a lot better than pounding the pavement.

So this book has both of us nailed, and the suggested diets to boost immunity and energy are drastically different. Interesting reading.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    I like what Dave Berry (the humorist) wrote about the FIRST ever weight loss book.

IT was stone tablet that said:

Eat Less, Exercise More

In all seriousness though, read Body-for-Life. BUT before you start reading a book, go run some laps...seriously, start moving!

I loosely followed Body-for-Life and as of today I have lost 50 pounds in 90 days. From a size 42 to a size 32 jeans. More importantly, I feel great, I am healthy, my blood pressure is lower, cholesterol is lower, and I am never hungry...my skin is better, I see better (seriously), and I sleep GREAT!

I think ANY exercise and diet program will do that though.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    You know what's really funny (but in a bad way), I am the fattest person I know that doesn't eat enough!!!!
    I find it a struggle to eat which in turns leaves me with no energy to work out and exercise. It's a constant struggle. So I guess at this point, my metabolism is so whacked that no matter what I eat, healthy or not, it just goes to fat.
    I don't drink soda or eat fast food. I am happiest with a huge salad with lots of veggies. I am so looking forward to the Farmers' Market opening this weekend.
    I am not a sweets person either.
    I just find that I have no energy to workout!!!
    I have a similar problem with eating and energy. I also prefer vegetable and fruit to other foods.

Maybe you aren't getting enough protein (that was my problem). Before I eat anything, I make sure that it has a good amount of protein (and fiber), otherwise it is just empty calories.

Also if you like cereal try Kashi's GOLEAN - it has a decent amount of protein and fiber together and is LOW on calories and tastes great to me (I add on packet of Splenda to it)
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    I loosely followed Body-for-Life and as of today I have lost 50 pounds in 90 days.
    Wow that's 3.8 pounds per week! Good for you!

I did well with Body for Life too. Looked my best when I followed it to the "T". It will get you fantastic results but it was so tough for those 12 weeks. But definitely worth it. I am now back doing a modified version of it.

I actually found it very easy. I have not been hungry in 12 weeks and I have been working out twice a day 4 days a week the last 6 weeks and they are hard workouts too. My trainer doesn't mess around

The biggest thing is eating every 2-3 hours (3 1/2 at MOST) and eating a good balance. I know its corny but the food pyramid is right on.

All the low-this, low-that, high-this, blah blah friggin blah crap is BS.

If you eat 1800 calories a day and eat plenty of veggies and fruit and lean protein and don't eat crap and burn 3000 calories a day, you WILL lose weight and fast.

If you eat a bit more or burn a bit less, you will lose it slower, but you will still lose it!

I wish you well...just remember its a life changing thing..keep your mind's eye on the NEW you! It helps when you aren't motivated!
    Matt McWilliams

Senior Affiliate Manager AMWSO James - AMWSO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    my biggest motivational book was ...I know some of you may cringe..."Body For Life".

The pics infront and back of befores and afters were just motivation for me to get started. Lots of great info in the book, not only the physical part, exercise, nutritional part but lot of sticking with the diet is mental. That is huge.

Also, the one thing they say is to take 'before' pics to motivate you. boy talk about reality check... another cringe... but when the 12 weeks were up and you take your 'after' pics. That is such a great satisfaction.

Totally agree. This program has helped me no end.
    James D. Nardell
    AMWSO.com Affiliate Management Team
    email: James.Nardell [@] AMWSO.com
    Phone: (805) 624-5669
    IM - Google/Skype: JamesNardell
    iolo technologies | Paychex | Personal VCard Website

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    Also, the one thing they say is to take 'before' pics to motivate you...
    I was gonna post something very similar when I saw this thread revived a few days ago. My personal best "inspirational weight loss book" is our family photo album for 2004-2006. 28 lbs lost since then, and I don't miss a single one of them...

G.

I am 4' 10 and lost 40 lbs a couple of years ago, slowly creeping back on so I'm back to watching what I eat, eating a small, low calorie, low fat, low carb meal every 3 hours and working out. If you can just take 20 minutes a day to do some type of excercise, it helps tremendously not only to lose weight but gives you more energy and focus.
    1stopshopping4moms.com
    Tired of browsing the net for what you are looking for?
    Hundreds of stores in one place with the best prices

Fit for Life I and II by Harvey Diamond and Marilyn Diamond

Fact based. Explains how nature intended you to eat, how digestion is a series of chemical processes and how to properly combine foods to help the processes and not work against them.

Not only did I lose weight, I'm healthier and have twice the energy I had before. I didn't have to diet. I eat as much as I want. I still eat everything I like. Just combining the right foods at the right time makes all the difference.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Read some over my life time. My favorite was a composition of works that reduced the facts to three simple rules that take away the complications:

1.) eat healthy
    2.) moderate intake
    3.) exercise
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Not a book but the best quote I heard is "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!"

Gonzalo

The book most motivating for me...
    The book that most motivated me wasn't an actual diet book, but it was certainly about diet. In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto. I've lost 12 pounds in 5 weeks since digesting its message. :) I see no end in sight for the weight loss and hope to be back at my ideal weight in about 4 to 5 more months.

Another book I read recently and found very helpful was The Glycemic-Load Diet. I enjoyed the read, plus I found the information especially useful since I was worried about getting pre-diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

The best book I have read lately is "Ultra Fat to Ultra Fit" by Noah Walton. It is brand new, a nonfiction/diet/exercise/memoir. It tells the story of the authors struggle with weight and being challenged to become fit. He does it in a unique manner. The interesting part for me, besides the humor, was to learn that diets don't work for most people. Check it out, I found my copy on amazon.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread