CSN Stores - Brent can you clarify
    Brent I was looking at the email you sent out on March 25th about changes in agreement

The part that i found a bit sad was this

" First referrer in the click stream sales:

You will continue to receive a FULL commission on these types of sales. At CSN Stores we value all partners that drive new customers to our stores. All revenue is attributed to first referrer in the click stream sales. This is why I am able to continue to pay you in full for this type of traffic.

Last referrer in the click stream sales:

These sales will be limited to a 2% commission. Unfortunately this is the only way we can afford to keep you on as an affiliate. Last referrer sales are destroying our program’s bottom line. These sales are simply customers looking for a coupon. At this point in the customer’s buying cycle they are ready to purchase the item that they have in the shopping cart. They see that we have a promo code box and go searching for a coupon for that product. If there were promo codes set up for these items the sales would not be a bother. However, the customer is clicking on a free shipping coupon or coupon that you have created. These coupons do not add value because the customer is already getting free shipping and the same price that is advertised on our site. Seeing that I do not have any active affiliate coupons, this traffic is not providing our customers with any value. "

Many times people arrive at affiliate sites, click through and dont buy.. then they go away and dont come back to that affiliate site and at another time find another affiliate site and go through there and then buy ( maybe the 2nd affiliate ) actually provided value and good information ...

But now your saying that affiliate is only going to get a measley 2% instead of the what already seems a LOW 5% commission

Just because you guys are having to give product away at 5% less than you usually do?

SALES ARE SALES 5% less is better than NO SALES

Honestly I dont think your going to help your program by REDUCING affiliate commission.. in fact I think people are going to say

" IM not slaving my ass off to help a business who is going to cut my commission "

You say " Its the only way we can afford to keep people as affiliates " I think you have missed the plot here about an affiliate program.....

Sure you can reduce commission to 2% but you probably will reduce your programs amount of affiliates to about 2% and you will GET 2% effort for paying 2%

Im not saying that paying more equates to more money in your pocket but.. I think the whole 2% even 5% is taking the piss!

You have removed much of the incentive for me or anyone to take the time to build sites around CSN products.

Again SALES ARE SALES

A person must decide do I want a SALE that is minus 5% or do I want Less sales or no sales at all

Options you have is

1. Remove the coupon box
    2. Have someone code for you so that if Visitor has come from affiliate link.. DO NOT let coupons take effect

Honestly there is ways around it... lowering commission is not one of them
    Last edited by easylife; April 24th, 2008 at 04:39 PM.

I didn't read that email closely but now I did. It actually says,

Affiliates sites that rank in the first two pages of any SE organic search for the terms CSN Stores Coupon, CSN Baby Coupon, or any variation of our niche stores URLs with coupon or deal included in the keyword, are subject to a different commission structure. The different commission pay-out and the technical integration are chronicled below
    As I read it, the new commission structure only applies to sites that rank for CSN Stores Coupon or similar in the organic search.

The other thing that I believe it says is that CSN is actually paying 7%, 5% to the first referrer and 2% to the second referrer. I think it's an odd arrangement (what if there were 3 referrers, the 1st and last get commission but not the second to last?) and I'm not sure how they track it but I think it is good that CSN is trying to reward the site that actually brought them the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    I didn't read that email closely but now I did. It actually says,

As I read it, the new commission structure only applies to sites that rank for CSN Stores Coupon or similar in the organic search.

The other thing that I believe it says is that CSN is actually paying 7%, 5% to the first referrer and 2% to the second referrer. I think it's an odd arrangement (what if there were 3 referrers, the 1st and last get commission but not the second to last?) and I'm not sure how they track it but I think it is good that CSN is trying to reward the site that actually brought them the customer.
    Go log into shareasale it says 5% not 7 % if it is 7% it should be updated inside shareasale

The site that brought them the customer who buys is the last persons affiliate link.. they are to be compensated commission

Whether thats a straight link or a coupon

Anything before does not count.. otherwise they would have bought on first time arriving at the site, or would have gone back direct to csn and bought.. not surfed around and gone through another site..

As for giving sites that offer coupons less that is a joke.. either dont provide coupons to your affiliates or do..

Reducing % just because an affiliate can rank better than they can is no reason.. AFFILIATES are not working against them.. THEY ARE HELPING them.. Affiliate managers need to get out of the mindset that affiliates are their enemy.. they are the ones that help bring in sales which pays everyone....

If they dont want to give customers Discounts through affiliates.. either

1. Dont offer coupons/discounts to affiliates
    2. Close you affiliate program and do the hard work yourself.

As for giving sites that offer coupons less that is a joke.. either dont provide coupons to your affiliates or do..
    CSN does not offer coupons to their affiliates. That's why they object to folks who claim to have them.

What 2busy said.

This entire subject has been beaten to death here, so I won't comment on it further, except to say you have choices...
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    CSN does not offer coupons to their affiliates. That's why they object to folks who claim to have them.
    Then CSN shouldn't have a coupon prompt at checkout, especially since they don't value those coupon sales. I am not a coupon site but I get annoyed when merchants have a coupon prompt at checkout and no valid coupon to offer.

It seems the problem is the merchant's and shouldn't fall on affiliates to eat the bottom line when the merchant is the one controlling what appears on their checkout page to entice a customer to go looking for the offending coupon. Either a merchant wants to work with couponers or not. It shouldn't fall on the affiliates to make up the difference in lowered commission to a select grouping. If a customer is at the check out page from one affiliate link at full price and then goes looking for a coupon, both affiliates actually deserve a commission. So, it should be the original affiliate gets 5% and the coupon aff gets 2% if that's what I'm thinking the original plan was. Penalizing a second cookied affiliate is assuming all second cookied affiliates are couponers which at times they might not be.

Sounds like a big convoluted mess to me. Would be so simple to remove the dang coupon prompt at checkout and if CSN wants to offer a coupon, make it an automatic discount that doesn't require a prompt.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    If you're introducing new customers to CSN, based on product promotion, you're going to love the way the leak to coupon affs is plugged here.

If you're a couponer, and if you're often the second affiliate referrer, you won't be very happy here.

It really is that simple.

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Hello Easy Life,

I appreciate your opinion on this matter. I have addressed the 2% commission payout for SEO Driven Coupon Affiliates in the couponers corner forum.

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...ighlight=brent

I will answer the specific questions that you have for me below. Hopefully, I will help you to gain a better understanding of the reasoning behind this decision.

Quote Originally Posted by easylife
    Brent I was looking at the email you sent out on March 25th about changes in agreement

The part that I found a bit sad was this

" "Affiliates sites that rank in the first two pages of any SE organic search for the terms CSN Stores Coupon, CSN Baby Coupon, or any variation of our niche stores URLs with coupon or deal included in the keyword, are subject to a different commission structure. The different commission pay-out and the technical integration are chronicled below

First referrer in the click stream sales:

You will continue to receive a FULL commission on these types of sales. At CSN Stores we value all partners that drive new customers to our stores. All revenue is attributed to first referrer in the click stream sales. This is why I am able to continue to pay you in full for this type of traffic.

Last referrer in the click stream sales:

These sales will be limited to a 2% commission. Unfortunately this is the only way we can afford to keep you on as an affiliate. Last referrer sales are destroying our program’s bottom line. These sales are simply customers looking for a coupon. At this point in the customer’s buying cycle they are ready to purchase the item that they have in the shopping cart. They see that we have a promo code box and go searching for a coupon for that product. If there were promo codes set up for these items the sales would not be a bother. However, the customer is clicking on a free shipping coupon or coupon that you have created. These coupons do not add value because the customer is already getting free shipping and the same price that is advertised on our site. Seeing that I do not have any active affiliate coupons, this traffic is not providing our customers with any value. "
    Many times people arrive at affiliate sites, click through and dont buy.. then they go away and dont come back to that affiliate site and at another time find another affiliate site and go through there and then buy ( maybe the 2nd affiliate ) actually provided value and good information ...
    I do not disagree with this statement one bit. This is the reason that NON-SEO Driven Coupon Affiliates are not treated in this manner. The last NON-SEO Driven Coupon Affiliate cookie in the click stream gets credited with the commission.

What is an SEO Driven Coupon Affiliate? – It is any and every affiliate that makes the majority of their sales through an SEO Driven Coupon Site, which appears regularly in the top two pages of the SE’s for “merchant name” coupon.

Currently, 1% of my 2,800 affiliate partners qualify for this pay structure.

But now your saying that affiliate is only going to get a measley 2% instead of the what already seems a LOW 5% commission
    The 5% is a default commission in the Share-A-Sale affiliate interface. Commissions vary by store(we have over 200 niche stores to advertise through SAS), with our highest payouts at 10% for certain stores, and negotiable rates above that for seasoned CSN Affiliates. The only affiliates that receive a 2% commission on sales of this nature, which are explained above in our TOS, are SEO Driven Coupon Affiliates.

SALES ARE SALES 5% less is better than NO SALES
    Not at CSN Stores. New customers are gold! That is why when a NON-SEO Driven Coupon Affiliate has their cookie overwritten by an SEO Driven Coupon Affiliate, they are credited with a full commission AND the SEO Driven Coupon Affiliates that overwrote the cookie from the NON-SEO Driven Coupon Affiliate still gets 2% for that sale. Pretty good deal if you ask me.

Honestly I dont think your going to help your program by REDUCING affiliate commission.. in fact I think people are going to say

" IM not slaving my ass off to help a business who is going to cut my commission "

You say " Its the only way we can afford to keep people as affiliates " I think you have missed the plot here about an affiliate program.....

Sure you can reduce commission to 2% but you probably will reduce your programs amount of affiliates to about 2% and you will GET 2% effort for paying 2%
    This is where choice comes in. If you run an SEO Driven Coupon Site, you can choose whether or not you want to work with CSN under the 2% commission structure.

Options you have is

1. Remove the coupon box
    2. Have someone code for you so that if Visitor has come from affiliate link.. DO NOT let coupons take effect
    1. We offer coupons in our news letters and e-mail blasts to our repeat customer base, therefore the "Coupon Box" has to stay.

2. We do not offer coupons to affiliates.

Scott Jangro wrote a great blog piece that helps to explain this commission structure.

http://www.jangro.com/a/2008/01/15/n...at-csn-stores/

I hope this helped to clarify the questions you had concerning our TOS.

Have A Great Weekend!

Brent
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Thanks Brent. Makes a lot more sense when it's spelled out in Fisher Price terms.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Brent E.
    The 5% is a default commission in the Share-A-Sale affiliate interface. Commissions vary by store(we have over 200 niche stores to advertise through SAS), with our highest payouts at 10% for certain stores, and negotiable rates above that for seasoned CSN Affiliates. The only affiliates that receive a 2% commission on sales of this nature, which are explained above in our TOS, are SEO Driven Coupon Affiliates.

Brent
    Hi Brent,

I'm glad that I waited for your reply on this thread before I posted anything, but to tell you the truth, I was beginning to worry after 24 hrs of no reply.

Btw, don't blame me for my clock, but just look at this:

easylife post was made: Yesterday, 04:28 PM
    and your reply was made: Today, 04:28 PM

You two now are going to make waste $2.00 on the 428 number on the lottery tonight!

------------

Brent, I have to ask you something important, so I am sending you a PM in two minutes.

so...

Am I oK, no good, or should I wait for the PM reply?

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    wow brent!

i didn't know where to post this...

Date Posted: 04/27/2008 11:17.20 PM
    Transaction ID: 17794780

Sale Amount: $1,192.50
    Your Commission: $119.25
    Merchant ID:
    11035 - CSN Stores
    Transaction Comment:
    Sale - 5035919

... but waking up to over a hundred bucks is a great way to start the day

Atta boy, BK.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Kay
    wow brent!

i didn't know where to post this...

Date Posted: 04/27/2008 11:17.20 PM
    Transaction ID: 17794780

Sale Amount: $1,192.50
    Your Commission: $119.25
    Merchant ID:
    11035 - CSN Stores
    Transaction Comment:
    Sale - 5035919

... but waking up to over a hundred bucks is a great way to start the day
    Posting it here works for me! Thanks for the great sale Billy.

Would you like that commission wired directly into your account at the Bellagio?
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

ABW Ambassador
    That is a great way to start the day - Congrats Billy Kay!

ABW Ambassador
    Way to go, BK!

didn't know where to post this...
    No problem going forward, with the new CSN Stores Forum now open.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Thanks Brent. Makes a lot more sense when it's spelled out in Fisher Price terms.
    I agree thank you Brent for clarifying

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread