Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    92 Spams per Hour
    I recently set up several of my email accounts (none of my affiliate managed accounts) at gmail and I'm amazed at how many spam emails it catches an hours. I counted about 92 an hour today. I was telling a long time affiliate about it and he simply laughed and called me a "rookie"!

Got me wondering how many spam emails other get per hour. Thought it might make an interesting thread here.

How many do you get an hour?
    Ron Bechdolt | Affiliate Program Management Consultant
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I logged into an AOL account from a long time ago, no spam.

My hotmail accounts:
    1 just for merchant consumer newsletters - 0 spam
    My personal one for friends and family - 0 spam
    My main business one, I had 4 today, 1 second to delete.

I've never really had much of a spam problem.

http and a telephoto
    Trust you are the exception rather than the rule Recently I changed some server settings to start failing emails that are sent addressed to fake addresses and unused any longer addresses instead of blackholing them and my spam on those domains has dropped considerably. But it's picking up on any addresses I use for network mail or conference mail, so I guess it's time to start firing up some gmail accounts to catch unwanted mail from those sources.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Ballpark figure...I get about 100 a day. And, it seems like 50% of them are for male enhancement products. I guess spam must work for these products.

Jim

I can remember when I got 100 a day. Now at nearly 100 an hour, I'm amazed. What concerns me is what will it be like a year from now.

And this is all at just four email accounts I have going through gmail.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I have never gotten a single spam at my Gmail address. I've only given out that address to Linkshare and BeFree.

Just 92? Thats a light hour for me

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    A few years ago when I counted, I was getting more than 6000 a day. It's completely out of control.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Gmail does a great job filtering that stuff out. On the flip side, when I do scan my Spam folder, I've only once out of maybe 10000 emails had to pull one out that wasn't spam.

I run most of my domain emails through the Gmail filter as well, and manage them from there.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Spam up the ying-yang here so I've resorted to Gmail as the hosting and ISP companies are too cheap to buy some spam filters that work. Sure wish I knew a way to get Gmail to talk back to my hosted domain POP3 e-mail servers and remove the deleted Gmail spam I empty at Google every few days..
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

why don't you just have google be your email provider for your hosted domain. I do it
    http://mail.hardwaregeeks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Noth
    On the flip side, when I do scan my Spam folder, I've only once out of maybe 10000 emails had to pull one out that wasn't spam.
    I usually get one or two legitimate emails in my spam folder each day. They can be quite hard to find, though, when there are thousands of others. Rather than scrolling through page after page, I've found using the search feature (just append "in:spam" to your search) to be the fastest way to find them. I usually search for various keywords that are usually in legitimate emails but not spam (my full name, "affiliate", "affiliates", "coupon", "coupons", the names of various networks, etc). Alternatively, if I am going to go through the spam page by page, I have found that I can get rid of 80% of it by searching for words that are commonly in spam but would never be in a legitimate email to me (body parts, drug names, "replica", "pharmacy", etc.).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Michael you have the patience of a saint. I delete my spam folder without looking for legitimates anymore. There are just way too many of them and I still get plenty to deal with in my inbox so I've decided the time it takes to search through 99.99% total crap isn't worth the potential one that's legit in thousands.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

We run a dedicated antispam server that currently services 98 email addresses (some of which are inactive). A realtime status monitor displays all the email communications line by line. Most spam is stopped in it's tracks at the SMTP level and the rest progresses through filtering before they're released to the mail server. Outgoing mail also passes through the spam server to prevent users from sending prohibited email. During the day the status window scrolls up constantly with email communications.
    The server creates a daily raw log as well as Excel files that separate spam email from valid email. Yesterday's stats produced the following results...

Spam: 4,956 emails (206.5 per hour on average over a 24 hour period)
    Valid email: 1,246
    75% of all mail through the server is

X

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Michael you have the patience of a saint. I delete my spam folder without looking for legitimates anymore. There are just way too many of them and I still get plenty to deal with in my inbox so I've decided the time it takes to search through 99.99% total crap isn't worth the potential one that's legit in thousands.
    Yeah, I just do a quick scan of mine to see if there is anythig legit. This is why I don't have any of my affiliate management emails routing through any spam filter. I certainly don't want to miss an important email there, so I'm still manually deleting all the spam.
    7 Days A Week Marketing

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I changed to Gmail in the last month and am getting a ton of spam starting yesterday.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Spam Math
    If Bprolong@ newadvent.ru can send out 92 Spams per Hour and
    ehdjuxcijtqx@ borderfcu.cn can send out 82 Spams per Hour,

How long will it take for both Bprolong@ newadvent.ru and ehdjuxcijtqx@ orderfcu.cn to send out 500 Spams, if they work together?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesehead
    If Bprolong@ newadvent.ru can send out 92 Spams per Hour and
    ehdjuxcijtqx@ borderfcu.cn can send out 82 Spams per Hour,

How long will it take for both Bprolong@ newadvent.ru and ehdjuxcijtqx@ orderfcu.cn to send out 500 Spams, if they work together?
    2.8735632183908045977011494252874 hours

X

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    2.8735632183908045977011494252874 hours
    Your answer is correct, but what is impressive are the number decimal places you got on the fraction 500/174 - how did you manage that? I guess you could have simply divided it out the old fashioned way.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Plain old Windows Calculator

X

I get very few email Spam messages through my account managed by Godaddy (maybe two/week)- however - I get a bunch of screen scraper bots (server Spam!!!) on my affiliate domains - 40,000 to 60,000 per day with HostGator trying to ban them - I block them at the top of my programs but they still use some bandwidth trying to get through.

Quote Originally Posted by micheck
    I get a bunch of screen scraper bots (server Spam!!!) on my affiliate domains
    What are screen scraper bots?

X

Is there any way to prevent spammers from "spoofing" an email address or domain name?

I have received as many as 3,000 bounced/returned spam email messages in one day that were sent by a spammer using my email address and/or domain name.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken
    Is there any way to prevent spammers from "spoofing" an email address or domain name?

I have received as many as 3,000 bounced/returned spam email messages in one day that were sent by a spammer using my email address and/or domain name.
    Ken
    Nope. There is no way to keep someone from doing that short of punching their lights out. My experience is that the first part of spoofed addresses is some fictional name added to @ourdomainname.com. Because our anti-spam server blocks all invalid email addresses (ones that do not belong to our mail server) at the SMTP level I never see those NDRs.

X

I get about 400 spam emails a day. I don't sweat it though, it comes with the terrain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast