Well I think I may have jumped the gun.
    My web site is about one week old and I am getting about 20 unique visitors a day. Now here is the kicker I made the mistake of making my website first and my product second.

Is this going to hurt me in the long run?

I made the site first because I thought it would take a few months to start to get traffic, guess I was wrong.

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    If you are taking money for a product you dont have you might be violating a law. Be careful. Get your product now, dont take money, and dont tell any customers exactly what is happening.

You never know who the customers are. Maybe their brother is the DA.

That is true I didnt think of it that way, I took my site down for the time being.

thanks for your input.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'd leave the site up, but if you have no products already in transit to you, I'd disable the actual shopping cart so people can't buy yet. Put a notice that the store is "opening soon" or something like that (while leaving all the product pages up).

That way you won't lose your search rankings while you're waiting for the product to come in. It can take a lot longer to get rankings back, than it is to get them the first time.

Plus, if you've accepted any orders, those people will sh*t bricks if they see a 404!!

The above is assuming you're selling products that you'd ship immediately (or close to it) if you had them on hand.

As for the law,--I'm assuming you're in the USA--it's legal to accept money in advance of actually having stock on hand, provided you do expect to actually get the stock and deliver the orders. For the details, I'll let the Feds (the Fed. Trade Commission to be exact) speak for themselves:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...mailorder.shtm
    Here's an excerpt. There is more on that page I linked to. (Even though it says "mail order" a lot, the "what does this rule cover" statement on the page explicitly says it also covers internet orders.)
    Quote Originally Posted by The US FTC
    The Rule requires that when you advertise merchandise, you must have a reasonable basis for stating or implying that you can ship within a certain time. If you make no shipment statement, you must have a reasonable basis for believing that you can ship within 30 days. That is why direct marketers sometimes call this the "30-day Rule."

If, after taking the customerís order, you learn that you cannot ship within the time you stated or within 30 days, you must seek the customerís consent to the delayed shipment. If you cannot obtain the customerís consent to the delay -- either because it is not a situation in which you are permitted to treat the customerís silence as consent and the customer has not expressly consented to the delay, or because the customer has expressly refused to consent -- you must, without being asked, promptly refund all the money the customer paid you for the unshipped merchandise.
    The page goes on to give explicit rules on when and how you can delay shipment (and states that if you know you can't *ever* come up with the stock, you MUST refund).

As a side note, the law only says the *legally allowable* delay time. Whether customers will wait is another matter. How long most of them will wait depends on what you're selling--a reasonable person knows they aren't going to get fall-planted bulbs until fall, but would expect many kinds of run-of-the-mill, factory-made consumer goods to go out within a couple of days.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

that you for your input, it helped alot

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread