Angry Avon - Advertising for their Reps!
    I was just updating Avon from an email they sent for the Mother's Day promotion -

From email: Our current campaign, running from April 25th through May 8th, is celebrating Mother's Day – which is May 11th. Encourage your customers to purchase AVON's Mother's Day Beauty Gift Set for only $24 – a $63 value! Plus, with FREE SHIPPING with any $40 order, now is the best time to shop with us.

Clicked through the link and on main page Free Shipping on $40 or more = WHEN YOU SHOP ONLINE with an eRepresentative! You have to enter a zip code - select a REP and shop their web site or contact the rep to place your order!!

Can't believe it!
    Also - sent them an email - no reply!

15 years and counting
    I've always had a mixed feeling about AVON. I quit promoting them a long long time ago for the same reason.
    Remember, they have to share their affiliate budget between eBates and their own reps. What's left for you?

That's rather seedy... asking you to promote something on which you won't earn commission.

To be honest, I tend to avoid promoting sales rep-based businesses.. without any audit trail, I don't really know how affiliate revenue would be allocated.

Guess your right on that! LOL!

here's their reply - Thank you for your email!

We can only track sales place through the website. Some of our merchants offer to award commissions for phone sales generated through your Linkshare account. If they do, they will ask you for your Linkshare tracking ID code or account number so they can assign you the commission. If they cannot take your Linkshare information over the phone, you will only be able to earn commissions with this merchant through web site sales.

Like a customer would know my LS id!
    Deb
    Last edited by imegadeals; April 25th, 2008 at 11:36 AM. Reason: typos

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the heads up. You just saved me some time.

I also just emailed them and explained to them why I would not be promoting them, AND listed the 27 other skincare and beauty websites I would be promoting.

I also gave examples of online merchants that successfully track phone orders.

Guess it was my affiliate equivalent of "get active or get out" email to a merchant, since I haven't had a sale with them.

Thanks again!

Question
    Is there any mention of mandatory coordinating with an eRepresentative in Avon's affiliate TOS? I looked but couldn't find such terms.

Does this mean that every product we promote on behalf of Avon must go through an eRepresentative intermediary?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    imegadeals, what is the email address of the person who replied to you? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report this to Linkshare. I can't imagine that this isn't a breach of their merchant agreement.

email
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    imegadeals, what is the email address of the person who replied to you? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE report this to Linkshare. I can't imagine that this isn't a breach of their merchant agreement.
    email was
    CSAvon@support.linkshare.com
    signed by W Ernst

Regarding your question Rhia7

No - but if the customer wants the free shipping they are promoting through our affiliate links, that's where they are going -

Deb
    Last edited by imegadeals; April 25th, 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: replying to Rhia7

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by imegadeals
    email was
    CSAvon@support.linkshare.com
    signed by W Ernst
    Linkshare has proved that they are NOT a trusted third party.

Yet ANOTHER example of what the networks and merchants get by with in this unregulated, no oversight industry in which we work.

This is absolutely insane!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    I didn't realize this was a Linkshare managed program until I saw the email address listed above. On the merchant detail page on Linkshare, I saw "You can e-mail us at affiliates@avon.com" near the bottom of the screen. I didn't notice higher up on the screen where it said "Questions? Don't hesitate to email us!" where "email us" is linked to CSAvon@support.linkshare.com.

And this is a Premium Linkshare merchant, no less. I can't stop shaking my head.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was just about to update my links, too. Now I think I might need to send them an email as well.

Quote Originally Posted by imegadeals
    Regarding your question Rhia7

No - but if the customer wants the free shipping they are promoting through our affiliate links, that's where they are going -
    Free shipping is a very important customer incentive/selling point for affiliates.

As an affiliate I want to promote free shipping to facilitate my ability to gain commissions, not to grease the wheel for some unknown representative
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I was shocked - they sent out that messages to all affiliates w/Mother's Day promos - they don't tell "YOU" that customers have to go to their reps for free shipping - and personally I think the rep site looks better than the one they give us!

FWIW, the erep program and the LS program are separate, and if you tag them with an LS cookie, then even if they have an erep you still get commission, according to some tests I did on this a while back.

15 years and counting
    Avon talked about splitting the commission with the Rep after the first clash. But, first, it's a leak, your visitor can call the Rep, then how much information is passed to the Rep. A good Rep will take the visitor away in no time. Working with all loyalty sites and Reps at the same time is not fair for their affiliates.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread