Migration Date Extended
    Details here:

http://www.ebaypartnernetworkblog.co...ntil-may-31st/

Read carefully! If I am understanding correctly, you will lose money on ACRUS if you wait past the original deadline to upgrade, and you will lose money on bids and purchases if you wait until the last week of May to update. Is that your understanding too after reading the post?

Any guesses why they are doing this? I'm not necessarily buying the part about because "some of us asked", are you?

At any rate, I think this was a good move on their part, but why didn't they just give us more time to start with?
    Last edited by Amy_S; April 25th, 2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: clarity

Thanks for posting that Amy...

More than two thirds having moved their links still leaves almost a third of their original affiliates which is a mighty large chunk of change. My guess is that they want more of the remaining ones to move before shutting it down. To help motivate they've added the warning about lost commissions. I wouldn't be surprised if this was their contingency plan if a certain goal wasn't reached by a certain date in April.

... All conjecture

X

I was thinking along those lines too, Boomers. Does anyone know if old links will continue to actually function? Or not? Because it occurred to me that, if old links remain functional, then ebay doesn't really lose anything if the owner doesn't change them. In fact, seems it would be to ebay's advantage to have old non-commissionable links hanging around. But I guess if the links stop functioning, they lose 1/3 of their traffic, and that would be bad for everyone involved.

I was thinking along those lines too, Boomers. Does anyone know if old links will continue to actually function? Or not?
    I hope they still work. That way all the people that downloaded parasite software will have no reason to upgrade and the author will get nothing from them.

If the links break, they may look to redownload if they like the software.

LOL Bobby! I didn't even think of that.

I was kind of hoping they'd continue working too. In calculating opportunity cost into all this, I have some older links on pages that don't get much traffic, that I really can't be bothered to update right now. I'd hate for any of my visitors to be inconvenienced by a non-functional link in the unlikely event that they do happen to stumble onto one of those pages. But, at the moment I am too busy building better pages on sites with traffic, to drop everything and work on the old pages. I already resented having to drop everything to migrate links in the first place. Updating old pages has been on my to-do list, but it's way at the bottom of the list.

ABW Ambassador
    Really? A month isn't enough time? If you have 30 sites, and you do one a day, and it takes 5-10 minutes each site, is that really too much? I had one site w/ 194 pages, and I added another 4 while I was in there, and it took me about 10 minutes. I hate to be insensitive, but really? I changed over about 6 sites in one day, 4 the next, 1 another, and one today. Even if that's all I did those days, that's still 26 full days days to work on other stuff. Not enough time? Really?
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I think they have given everyone plenty of time. You had two weeks BEFORE April 1st when the EPN was started to know to get ready to switch. You are then given an additional 30 days to change over the links. Further any transactions up to the end of April even if the winning happens in May you are still going to be paid those as well.

How much longer should ebay give? I already switched out all the links I needed to do so. It's not that hard.

Celicaphile and Nakedgamer, glad the time frame was adequate for you. Personally I do affiliate marketing part time, and this is the only truly busy time of year for my (unrelated) freelance work, which takes priority over my affiliate marketing. It also sounds like you guys work faster than I do. I am slow at this. Wish I were at your level!

Celicaphile, glad your setup is such that you could migrate so quickly. Mine isn't. I'd love to know how you set your sites up to be able to change links in 10 minutes. Please elaborate. I'm jealous, because, aside from the links generated from a script that I bought, which were quickly and easily changed, it's taking me a significant amount of time to locate and then change out each link on my sites. I am hoping to learn something from you! Thanks in advance.

ABW Ambassador
    I do this part time as well. I also have a 8mo old son and full time job, but it still wasn't an issue finding 5 or 10 min here or there to do it... I don't think anything can be more demanding than having an infant, a full time job and a spouse taking classes before & after work and on weekends! LOL

This may not apply to you, but here's how I replaced Editor Kit code:

Open EPN's site, go to campaigns, open page(s) in editor, copy/paste code from another site below existing code, copy/past campaign ID, change colors and options to match existing code, delete existing code. Save. Upload. Done.

For sites w/ multiple Editor Kit implementations, I would do the same, opening all pages at once, then do an Extended Replace on the code before query=, then do the same for the code following the keywords. Save. Upload. Done.

For text links, I could use the Extended Replace for the URL and the tracking pixel URL, if used, but I don't bother if the Editor Kit or banner could do a better job. A good memory also helps know which pages have links & when they start popping up in the broken links report on CJ, I'll take a minute to replace those individually.

I live in a world w/ deadlines and priorities, and since eBay makes me money already, and if I didn't change it I could lose money, and I had until the end of this month, I made sure it got done. Thankfully, I didn't do something stupid and use completely unique code on every page that couldn't be replaced so easily. I also use ad management programs for banners, so that's only one change across a whole site.

And, while this didn't help me in this situation, I've coded and recoded most of my sites in PHP so if I need to change something in a header or footer, I only have to do it once. Many of my sites now are also member driven, so I don't waste my time having to create content on X number of pages per day/week.

After this whole thing is all said and done, one thing I'm grateful for is that now the tracking is all correct on my sites - for some reason w/ CJ, many of my commissions were assigned to a site that doesn't get traffic. Somewhere along the line, I must have pulled the code for a text link off there & used it on other sites, or it was set to the wrong site in CJ when I created the code... All fixed now
    Hi, I'm a signature.

I work at home running a few businesses (including affiliate marketing), and have 4 kids. I also design and do several other things that consume my time.

30 days was and is plenty of time. Otherwise you are doing the old fashioned way and if you have THAT many links to change out then you should have looked into a script or automating your link generation. There are several great scripts (webmerge for example) that can help speed up things.

Seems if you are just doing this part-time then you shouldn't have 10s of thousands of links to change out.

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Maybe they added up the revenue they get from affiliates outside their EPN "approved countries" list and are having 2nd thoughts about their xenophobic policy?

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    I do this part time as well. I also have a 8mo old son and full time job, but it still wasn't an issue finding 5 or 10 min here or there to do it... I don't think anything can be more demanding than having an infant, a full time job and a spouse taking classes before & after work and on weekends! LOL

This may not apply to you, but here's how I replaced Editor Kit code:

Open EPN's site, go to campaigns, open page(s) in editor, copy/paste code from another site below existing code, copy/past campaign ID, change colors and options to match existing code, delete existing code. Save. Upload. Done.

For sites w/ multiple Editor Kit implementations, I would do the same, opening all pages at once, then do an Extended Replace on the code before query=, then do the same for the code following the keywords. Save. Upload. Done.

For text links, I could use the Extended Replace for the URL and the tracking pixel URL, if used, but I don't bother if the Editor Kit or banner could do a better job. A good memory also helps know which pages have links & when they start popping up in the broken links report on CJ, I'll take a minute to replace those individually.

I live in a world w/ deadlines and priorities, and since eBay makes me money already, and if I didn't change it I could lose money, and I had until the end of this month, I made sure it got done. Thankfully, I didn't do something stupid and use completely unique code on every page that couldn't be replaced so easily. I also use ad management programs for banners, so that's only one change across a whole site.

And, while this didn't help me in this situation, I've coded and recoded most of my sites in PHP so if I need to change something in a header or footer, I only have to do it once. Many of my sites now are also member driven, so I don't waste my time having to create content on X number of pages per day/week.

After this whole thing is all said and done, one thing I'm grateful for is that now the tracking is all correct on my sites - for some reason w/ CJ, many of my commissions were assigned to a site that doesn't get traffic. Somewhere along the line, I must have pulled the code for a text link off there & used it on other sites, or it was set to the wrong site in CJ when I created the code... All fixed now
    Thanks for the info! It's looking like I should really make an effort to learn PHP. Lucky you, to have member driven content. That is smart, but it must have taken some time to get your site(s) & membership to that point, I imagine. Yeah, at least this has been a good opportunity to get some things cleaned up.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbert
    Maybe they added up the revenue they get from affiliates outside their EPN "approved countries" list and are having 2nd thoughts about their xenophobic policy?
    Good point, that could certainly account for part of the traffic that hasn't been changed over yet. Well, I sure hope the affiliates who were already promoting ebay through CJ were able to get approved. If I were in their shoes I would be very upset by a rejection. I do think I remember reading on the ebay forums that they were encouraging affiliates to email them if that was the case though.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread