eBay DSRs Sabotage PowerSeller Discounts...
    When I first heard about eBay's new pricing and PowerSeller discount policy I thought "piece o cake!". I should be able to qualify for the PowerSeller discount, "no problem!". Those stars look like they're above 4.8.
    Got the eBay newsletter email a few days go. It contained the actual rating. [I wonder where I can see those on eBay??]
    Seller Dashboard: http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SDLite

These are the thirty day DSR ratings as of 4/16/08 (from the email)...

This is the discount earned for the current invoice (I lucked out!)...

These are the current thirty day DSRs (15% discount requirement)...

These are the current thirty day DSRs (5% discount requirement)...

Ok, looks to me like it's almost impossible to meet the requirements for the 15% discount. The 5% requirements aren't much better. What it boils down to is that nearly every customer who leaves feedback must select the fifth star for every category. I would not normally select the highest rating in a system like this, would you?
    It would be even more difficult for a low volume PowerSeller as the rating would depend on fewer submissions. Just one low rating would kill the chances.
    Attached Images Attached Images

X

ABW Ambassador
    Sorry to say I rarely, if ever, use that rating... I usually just give a "positive" feedback.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    Sorry to say I rarely, if ever, use that rating... I usually just give a "positive" feedback.
    Same here. I only leave them when a seller performed poorly. Compared to my feedback count the number of DSRs I've received is very small. In fact, I would rather my customers not leave DSRs. eBay has placed them in the forefront though and because of that, as a PowerSeller I have to pay attention to them...

X

eBay is employing doublespeak to screw sellers, plain and simple.

When a buyer goes to rate sellers, they are told the following:

On description accuracy: 4 stars = Accurate, 5 stars = Very accurate

On communication: 4 stars = Satisfied, 5 stars = Very satisfied

On Shipping speed: 4 stars = Quickly, 5 stars = Very quickly

On shipping charges: 4 stars = Reasonable, 5 stars = Very reasonable.

So any normal person would interpret ratings of 4 stars to be fine for a seller that performs in all aspects. However, eBay is telling sellers that any rating less than 5 stars means you are a bad seller, a thief, and a liar. Case in point -- DSR average below 4.5 means being dropped as a PowerSeller, and can also trigger 21-day PayPal hold on funds received.

eBay is using two COMPLETELY different sets of interpretations of the SAME rating system, choosing which to use when it suits their purpose.

It's a moot point in my case though, because since I'm not a powerseller, I don't get the pretty dashboard, any discounts, or any protection. I'm persona non grata, according to the NEW eBay, despite over 3,000 transactions...
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    I've seen a lot of people say this. I wasn't filling them out either until I realized how important they are to a seller.

I can understand why people wouldn't want to bother with DSRs. For one thing, people are still used to the old feedback system. Plus, for buyers who buy a lot, it gets pretty time consuming to accurately fill out the DSRs.

Quote Originally Posted by PolkSDA
    eBay is employing doublespeak to screw sellers, plain and simple.

When a buyer goes to rate sellers, they are told the following:

On description accuracy: 4 stars = Accurate, 5 stars = Very accurate

On communication: 4 stars = Satisfied, 5 stars = Very satisfied

On Shipping speed: 4 stars = Quickly, 5 stars = Very quickly

On shipping charges: 4 stars = Reasonable, 5 stars = Very reasonable.

So any normal person would interpret ratings of 4 stars to be fine for a seller that performs in all aspects. However, eBay is telling sellers that any rating less than 5 stars means you are a bad seller, a thief, and a liar. Case in point -- DSR average below 4.5 means being dropped as a PowerSeller, and can also trigger 21-day PayPal hold on funds received.

eBay is using two COMPLETELY different sets of interpretations of the SAME rating system, choosing which to use when it suits their purpose.

It's a moot point in my case though, because since I'm not a powerseller, I don't get the pretty dashboard, any discounts, or any protection. I'm persona non grata, according to the NEW eBay, despite over 3,000 transactions...
    Good point about them using 2 different interpretations.
    I think ebay is alienating a lot of quality longtime sellers with these new policies.

Hey Boomers, congrats on the discount though. I am genuinely happy for you, despite the non-powerseller-sour-grapes. Hope you can manage to keep the DSRs up...good luck!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by amysolovay
    For one thing, people are still used to the old feedback system.
    I think that's usually the case for me... I'll click "positive" then submit & realize, oh, damn, I forgot to do that part!, but sometimes I'm just in a hurry. In one specific case, I had a bad experience, but I think the seller was better off w/ my "neutral" rating and bypassing the DSR.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread