FWIW - I Need To Ask - One last time!
    Why do I have to download the whole dealdatabase.txt by FTP, if I just want to automate some of my merchants coupons and deals datafeed?

If I log into SAS and want to get only my merchants current coupons and deals, I can just download the a-YOURUSERID.txt feed and everything is fine, but if I want to get that same feed by FTP or any other auto-way, there is no other way!

Why???????????

Yes, I know that I can get the dealdatabase.txt directly by FTP the same way I can get any other of my merchants datafeed, but wtf is is wrong with that?

Well, in order to get only my merchants current coupons and deals datafeed, first I must have to go directly to SAS, log in, look for that link, and then download that a-YOURUSERID.txt feed to my HD, and then I have to upload that same a-YOURUSERID.txt feed to any site that I may want to show some coupons and deals for the merchants on that site. WHY do I need to go through all those unnecessary steps?

In order not to bother anyone, I went and tried the regular dealdatabase.txt feed that I can get by FTP, but WHY do I need to use that STUPID dealdatabase.txt feed if I only need less than 100 records in total like those I can get from the a-YOURUSERID.txt feed?

Not only that, but what the hell do I need to get a feed with 1000 records that I CAN"T use?

First: Why do I have to drink from a bucket, when all I need is a glass of water?
    Second: Why should I indeed drink from that bucket, if at the end my thirst would not be fulfil?

Look, I don't have a coupon site (yet), but I would like to be able to display any coupons or new deals that some of my merchants may have available, so stupid and silent like I play some times, I decided to just use that STUPID dealdatabase.txt feed that I can get by FTP and deal with the sorting and the rest of the cleaning of that feed, now that I have learned how to do it.

BUT, again... WTF?

Not only do I have to discard over 900 records from that 1000 records feed because I am not an affiliate of those merchants there (yet!), but I also discovered that all of the coupons and deal from all of my own merchants (the only ones I do care about), are not on that STUPID dealdatabase.txt feed that I can do get by FTP, so WTF?

Btw, like it have been said here before by some: "This is a business, so treat it like one!"

But, I have my own saying: "I don't need to know how to get there, all I need is why I need to go there!"

FWIW, the first merchant I see on that dealdatabase.txt feed is "123Together" and the last one is: "Zookhooks", one thousand records, and I don't even get my real (edited merchant name) merchant deal on that dealdatabase.txt feed of 1000 records, and the funny part is that my merchant do indeed show up on the other (a-YOURUSERID.txt feed) thing.

Be advised that I didn't used a title with the word Coupon on it, because there is enough bad shit about coupons on the net and on ABW too by now, but if my thread title need to be changed, go for it... but just make sure this thread doesn't disappear too, because...

I just hope this thread don't suffer the same BS as my last one on this forum, beacuse otherwise............... (no more Mr. nice guy) ... I just hope she knows what I mean!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Mr. Sal,

First point - your last thread ran into trouble when you started attacking individuals...not because you spoke negatively of anything ShareASale related. In this thread you end your first post with a veiled threat which makes me not want to respond to the rest of your otherwise worthwhile post about coupon feeds.

Second - the way we will likely go with this is including merchant specific deals in the already available merchant specific RSS news feeds along with a few other things such as offline notification, merchant alerts, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Mr. Sal,

First point - your last thread ran into trouble when you started attacking individuals...not because you spoke negatively of anything ShareASale related. In this thread you end your first post with a veiled threat which makes me not want to respond to the rest of your otherwise worthwhile post about coupon feeds.

Second - the way we will likely go with this is including merchant specific deals in the already available merchant specific RSS news feeds along with a few other things such as offline notification, merchant alerts, etc...
    Brian,

First point - On my last thread, I was not attacking anyone and I was not wanted to talk negatively of anything ShareASale related, I was just trying to open a thread to talk about things that we may not like on SAS, but some people decided that since SAS is untouchable on any negative way, that I was a fair game, I could care less about that.

Not because of anything to do with SAS, but because there are some people here that have nothing better to do than to just Fk with what ever is on the plate at any time. (If you don't know what I am talking about, well... maybe one day you will found out, {I am not outing no one.}

But, if you still don't want to respond to the rest of my otherwise worthwhile post about coupon feeds, don't worry about it, because at the end... I may just lose a feed, but... like they say: affiliates are dime a dozen", right?

Second - If the way you would like to handle what I mentioned about those feeds is just by way of RSS news feeds along with a few other things such as offline notification, merchant alerts, etc.. then... Who Am I to disagree?

Third - Brian, I think you're making a mistake, but only time will tell.

And btw, other than those that can't take a SAS this or that, I have no other problem with SAS!

But...

Hey, (cojone) If I can't say to my lovely wife, "hey honey, I love you a lot, but you may look better if you lose some weight", because I may afraid that she may ask for a divorce, all I can say is to fo** that dog wife, I don't need that bad attitude, so if I am not willing to take it from my wife... just guess...!

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Mr. Sal,

Nobody decided that ShareASale was "untouchable" - on the contrary there were quite a few other folks who posted worthwile comments in your thread... before you took it downhill. Feel free to post as many negative threads that you want about ShareASale - I have and will only object when your posts attack individual persons unneccesarily.

We also have a thread here "Things we need to Fix" - which is a good place to put anything that you feel we are doing wrong as I monitor the thread and keep a running list here of things that we are making changes to.

I don't understand your music video reference or what you think my mistake might be.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    Mr. Sal,

Nobody decided that ShareASale was "untouchable" - on the contrary there were quite a few other folks who posted worthwile comments in your thread... before you took it downhill. Feel free to post as many negative threads that you want about ShareASale - I have and will only object when your posts attack individual persons unneccesarily.

We also have a thread here "Things we need to Fix" - which is a good place to put anything that you feel we are doing wrong as I monitor the thread and keep a running list here of things that we are making changes to.

I don't understand your music video reference or what you think my mistake might be.
    You're right Brian,

Next time I may use the "Things we need to Fix" if I find something I don't like, so disregard this thread and the other one too, I guess I did'nt knew what I was thinking when I decided to open this thread.

As for the "music video reference", I didn't mean anything bad about it, but since you want to know, I will tell you.

After a long weekend working on my sites and on many different datafeeds, I decided to ask about the "dealdatabase.txt feed vs the a-YOURUSERID.txt feed" but since you mentioned the "by way of RSS news feeds" I guess some of my Mexican genes too over, and and I decided to just say ok by using that song titled "Who Am I to disagree?" with you, nothing more.

Btw, in the last four years with SAS, I have never talked bad about SAS, by the contrary, I always have praised SAS and the many things I like about SAS, so the other day I thought that it would be ok for me to open that other thread to see what people would say about what they may not like about SAS in a positive way, and that thread was not intended for telling SAS what SAS needed to fix.

You say that I took that thread downhill, and you may be right about that, but that happen after my thread was mysteriously gone and later put back, only to have my post dissected by someone else talking about money, and what I may or may not feel about money, so I had my reasons to get mad, but I just abandoned that thread because I am not here to fight with any one, and much less to keep beating any post made by anyone that I may not agree with, but that's just the way I am.

I have no problem with SAS, I may was just asking the wrong questions on the forum, so let's just live it at that and see what's really need to be fix as posted on the "Things we need to Fix" thread and disregard my last two threads.

I think it might even be better to close this thread now, before some how it may become another bad thread.

Thanks.

Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Sal
    I think it might even be better to close this thread now, before some how it may become another bad thread.
    Agreed.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

7. Newsletter Signup

Closed Thread