Google's Quality Score Variables
    I can't determine if this article is real - if it is, can be interesting to find out what these variables mean.

Outsourced Program Manager
    looks like more than one person saw this earlier today in the search results, and the screenshots add more credibility to the story.

It would be great if someone could actually use this data to prove that the big G is just jacking the bid prices to make more money and not because of relevancy, ad quality, etc.

Google states that there is an "minimum bid price" for ads to be shown in the "prime position" (ie. above the search results)

"Beginning today [Aug 22, 2007], the actual CPC you pay for an ad in a top spot will continue to be determined by the auction, but subject to a minimum price. The minimum price is based on the quality of your ad and is the minimum amount required for your ad to achieve top placement above Google search results.
    "

I find it very interesting how many pages these days don't have any Adwords ads at the top of the search results. Based on the above policy from Google's help section, apparently the Adwords advertisers (probably numbering the 6 - 7 figure range) just aren't creating ads with high enough quality to appear in Google's Prime positions, or could it be that they're just not willing to pay enough per click to meet this mysterious unknown minimum bid? You'd think out of all the Adwords advertisers, someone would be able to write an ad "good enough" to show in Google's prime adwords positions. You decide....

It isn't just about relevancy. I have ads and landing pages that couldn't be more relevant and they still have 50 cent minimum bids. I chatted with a Google rep and they basically said the system is still working itself out. One example is that discussion forums are not considered original content right now. That makes no sense. I'm off of adwords fir awhile until they work all of this out. Not worth chasing their formulas and high bid prices right now knowing it will all change again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    I chatted with a Google rep and they basically said the system is still working itself out.
    Wow. You actually talked to someone that said something other than "You need to read the guidelines for landing pages because yours isn't "highly relevant"???? You're getting better results than I am.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread