Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am admittedly new to these boards and have enjoyed my short time here. I wonder how many of these posts are from webmasters earning less than $50 a month and how many are earning a living at this?

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by ToughTurkey:
    I am admittedly new to these boards and have enjoyed my short time here. I wonder how many of these posts are from webmasters earning less than $50 a month and how many are earning a living at this?

Making more than $50/month (woohoo!), but definitely not enough to quit my day job!

Michael

It takes a little while to get going, for the search engines to find your site, start sending traffic, etc.

I started making pages -- and joined up with CJ and Amazon -- in early July.

I've just now started making over $100 per month. And that's actually quite a bit faster than I thought this would go.

-- Mike

quote:
    Originally posted by MikeO:
    It takes a little while to get going, for the search engines to find your site, start sending traffic, etc.

I started making pages -- and joined up with CJ and Amazon -- in early July.

I've just now started making over $100 per month. And that's actually quite a bit faster than I thought this would go.

-- Mike

That is very good.

It took me 3 years to crack 5 figures monthly. This was with 8 hours a day in addition to my real job. I am now doing this for an only source of income. But beware; right now all my fortunes are riding with Google. That could all change on the next update. Just ask Jadakiss about the uncertainty of internet marketing. But I am a risk taker at heart. Don't give up your real jobs when the $'s start comming in.

The Net Givith and The Net Take It Awayith

Best of luck in your endeavors!!!!!

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Who here is making a living at this?

Dying ain't much of a living son - Clint Eastwood

Without intenstinal fortitude, a pocketful of cash for promotions and for losses, the time investment, patience for thieves . . .

Yes Cyclone.....patience for thieves.

I didn't make much of anything for a long time. Now, I am making enough to make a significant difference in my quality of life. And, it seems to be just going up.

The trick was to diversify in my advertisers and to learn how to put pages together in rapid fashion. Learning SSI was a big help. Also, learning to make my own product links was a big turning point.

Big clue---if you need to use a lot of graphics, USE THOSE ALT TAGS!!! And, USE THOSE HEADING TAGS!!!

As far as text goes, less is often better than more.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

I make a living.. this is a risky business though, think carefully before you give up those nice safe monthly pay checks.

[This message was edited by chinaski on October 16, 2002 at 11:48 PM.]

I've been full-time in affiliate marketing for 2 1/2 years now. March 15, 2000 was my "Retirement" day.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    I know dozens of small shops that make excellent wages from affiliate programs. I even know one-person operations that make commissions in the hundreds of thousands per year.

It can be done, but only the best make it full-time. The vast majority of affiliates do not break $1000.00 in commissions a month. If you are making more then that you are on the right track.

-wayne

My husband and I both do this together and make a living, it is our only income. He just quit his job a year ago to help out around the house doing the cleaning, laundry and stuff I don't have time for while I work 18+ hours a day.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

quote:
    Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    I've been full-time in affiliate marketing for 2 1/2 years now. March 15, 2000 was my "Retirement" day.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

'
    Sounds a lot like me..... email me if you have any thoughts or questions Michael.... all I ask in return is that I can do the same some day.. (It's always nice to havge someone who undestands a little bit about what you are going through.)

If we don't get some kool rules ourselves...... pronto........ then we'll just be bogus too.. ~Jeff Spicoli~

ABW Ambassador
    I hear rumor that google will create products search joined with amazon and other giants. like with price compare and etc .
    if it happened i guess we'll totally death ....

I'm totally blind about the future of affiliate program

We're making a nice living, knock-on-wood, but it's taken 3 years of full-time work. And to echo others, this is a risky business, but I'd choose it over working for someone else anyday. Yes, you can lose it all with one update if you are not diversified, but you can also gain most of it back in the next month or two. I think the challenge is worth it.

---Hershey

"Play like you have never lost. Love like you have never been hurt. Dance like no one is watching."

I am into 3rd month full time AM, Reached my goal of $500 as of yesterday.

All, Beware - this is one heck of a guy who doesn't sleep for days [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Yes, I hope to make a luxurious Living shortly [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

------------------

Thanx ABW [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

------------------

zervo is right!

i think google is up to something.

they've steadily and somewhat stealthily become the number 1 search engine, feeding results to yahoo, aol, netscape, and i-won. according to wordtracker, 35% of web searches are now done thru google.

if they decide to become the "mother of all duper-affiliates", the rest of us are pretty much dead meat.

keep your eyes on google!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Baccillus:

All, Beware - this is one heck of a guy who doesn't sleep for days [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

[QUOTE]

Sleep.... I vaguely remember that concept!
    I sometimes think of this more as an addiction than a job.

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

I have been officially unemployed for about a year and a half now [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I'm definitely making a "living" at this. I quit empl*yment straight away but I would say that the Aff. Marketing income really qualified for the title of "a living" in Nov. 2001. Last month I cracked $8,000.

As for the riskiness, YEAH IT'S RISKY and full of ups and downs but that's almost any business. Empl*yment hides the risk but it's there...Competition, changing marketplace fundamentals, crooks, and some other company coming up with the Next Big Thing and grabbing all the customers are things that every business owner has to deal with!

I've made sure to save a big percentage of income each month to alleviate some of the risk. A couple of lousy indexes would suck but it wouldn't send me back to the empl*yment rolls either.

As for internet business in general, I am a total optimist, 100%!

Of course there will have to be adaptations along the way, though. That's true for any industry! The internet does it faster than most industries but the basic principles are the same.

@ Zervo--Even if Google does put out a shopping search, it's not death for affiliates. According to WordTracker, Google gets something like 35% of search traffic. That's a lot, but it still leaves plenty of opportunity for the rest of us! (And if the shopping search sux like the Image Search does we have nothing to fear [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] )

[corrected Google marketshare %]

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

[This message was edited by Leader on October 17, 2002 at 04:22 PM.]

I'm in my 3rd month of affiliate marketing, last month I broke 3k, and this month I will break 4k! woohoo! not bad for a few months of work. and better yet, I'm in canada!! cuz of our crappy xchg rate, that's like about 6500 in CAD!!! woohooo, even better... now I hope the xchg rate go south even more hehehe....

I've been "unemployed" or better yet, self employed like the rest of us here for almost 2 years now. I left my old job after grading univ. to start some businesses, and I've tried to do many different businesses, but unsuccessfully, and then I turned to aff marketing, and in 3 months, I'm doing really good. Of course, all the past failures are a blessing and learning experience, or I wouldn't be able to make this much in such a short amount of time.

I'm generating so much sales for the advertisers now I'm starting my own web store, and sending all the traffic to myself. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] also, cuz I'm worried about parasites and dishonest merchants. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img] hehehhe...

In the end, all the stress and hardwork is worth it. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] once its running, its just a well oiled engine that keeps chugging along, generating sales, which needs a little elbow grease here and there...

ABW Ambassador
    Peego, that is some going. I have been full time for about 7 months now - part time before that. Out of necessity really as I lost my job last Christmas. Saw it coming and started to make an affiliate site last October. Making enough to live on now.

Andy Williams

Keyword DARTs - New search engine optimization software
    http://www.affiliate-masters.co.uk/k...timization.htm

ABW Ambassador
    400-600 bucks a month, with most of that coming from the consolidated commission payments through Commission Junction. I make chump change through BeFree, and LinkShare. These two do not offer consolidate commission payments. Why? cause they are still behind, and they choose to appease cry baby merchants instead of making things better for the industry across the board.

Big Chuck

At least as much as I made at a good job working for a bunch of idiots...but it took almost 2 years to get to this point, lots of hours (though not more than the 80 hours per week I was putting in for someone else's pocket...)

Of course, there's a much greater risk to affiliate marketing than there is to working for someone else, but much more satisfaction.

Basically, I've said it before. Some people are cut-out to run their own business, some people choose to do things as a "hobby" for some extra cash, and others need the security of a regular pay-check due to individual needs. One needs to determine one's skills, desires, past results at things like running a business, etc, to determine if its right for you and to what extent. However, one can make a living on almost ANY business if the desire and skills are there.

Over the last year I have been up and down. My lowest point being about $100/mo, highest about $400/mo. Just last month I did a little bit more work that looks like it is going to secure me at least $400/mo and I think I will easily make $500 this month. If I could just make about four times that, it would be enough to live off. In fact I could scrape through with just twice that much.

Personally I find diversifying a waste of time. I have spent twice as much time trying to break through with other projects and come up with nothing. Stick to what you have already and improve it, that's what works for me!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast