Application doesn't meet criteria
    Trying to find some answers here..

I've launched a site & created a new channel, as it's different niche. I'm interested in LS merchants, as I've been generating some good numbers there lately.

Of the 8 programs I applied to... 7 returned the message:
    Your application to this program has not been processed. This merchant has established certain criteria for affiliates applying to their program. Unfortunately, your site does not meet one or more of these criteria. For more specific approval information, please refer to the merchant's application criteria.
    I'm pretty self-motivated, but for the life of me can't figure out WHY my new site isn't even being considered. I used stats from my main site (this one is new, but it will draw similar numbers, as I can cross-promote), the categories fit perfectly.. and I've emailed support, who told me contact merchants. I have sent requests to 4 already, nothing yet.

I'm based in Canada, is it an address thing..?? My track record shows good numbers with some US-only merchants already, and my existing reader base is US. I have a US mailing address for admin purposes, but prefer using my main address.

How do I get around this..?? Here's a potentially successful affiliate who can't even apply....

ABW Ambassador
    Last time I started a new channel, got accepted to most. The ones I didn't, I just used the links from the other channel. It doesn't help with tracking but at least I get the merchants I want up. There's also the other method to track, which I've never tried, I think Signature? So you could just use your existing channel and use that to track the different sites. Also, you could always email them and ask to get let in. Might get some responses that way.

Interestingly enough, my old channel doesn't work either, same response.

I have 4 emails out there to merchants already, will wait to hear back, but this is a painful way to get approved. I don't have a lot of time to chase down individual applications - I run some pretty successful sites on LS already, I had hoped that would carry some weight (in terms of measured stats/conversion).

I just wish the wording was more clear - there is nothing in the merchants blurb that helps, and that's what you're told to review.

ABW Ambassador
    If you are willing to name the merchants, you'll probably get some relevant feedback for at least some of them.

LinkShare just changed the categories that publishers can use to describe their business... They diversified them somewhat, and tried to make them more clear. Oddly though (and this is just my experience I'm offering, I don't know for a fact that this is the problem), I've gotten some feedback from folks trying to apply to my programs that they are being rejected in the same way teezone is describing even though they shouldn't be.

I went back into my affiliate screening categories on my advertiser side of things, and redid them, trying to be a little more liberal. It seemed like after the category changeover, some of my programs had defaulted to having very few categories checked. Anyway, after I did that, those folks who were having problems were able to apply.

I suspect many advertisers haven't bothered to go in and look at their affiliate screening settings after the category changeover. Perhaps our thread here will help them remember???

Do you have a clear privacy policy posted on your site?
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Do you have a clear privacy policy posted on your site?
    Yes, of course. But the application doesn't even get that far.

2 merchants have now accepted from my email communication, but I'm having a heckuva time reaching GourmetGiftBaskets.

I didn't want to name merchants, as it could have been a Canada thing...

The categories sound like the likely culprit, but this is food-related, and there is only one category that applies. Maybe I'll tinker a little more with the profile & see what happens (thanks for suggestion!)

I saw this issue myself when I applied to TigerDirect from two channels one was approved and the other one I saw this message. So looking at the categories I noticed that the channel that was not approved had two additional categories. It seems like if the channels have even one category that the merchant has not selected, the application will be rejected...

Teezone, I am sure it is a Canada thing. I have been going back and forth with Linkshare/Merchant on a few merchants and if you do not live in the US thay do not want you promoting their products!!!!

From a merchant standpoint- it can also be your unique visits/page views. Merchants have the ability to filter out by how much traffic you drive. I had tried this at one point with my program because I was wasting time declining so many affiliates that were banner farms, had no content or their site was just thrown together and not where my brand would want to be advertised. However, there were those few that would email me inquiring as to why they got filitered out. and I found myself constantly extending private offers to them. Though their sites were decent and most likely wouldnt drive a lot of revenue, those 1-2 sales I might get from them are still sales, so now I dont filter out by page views & visits.

Anyway- that could be another reason why you get declined before your site reaches a Manager. A non-communicative Manager is obviously not good and at that point- I wouldnt even want to work with them if they cannot return an email.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aalbert
    From a merchant standpoint- it can also be your unique visits/page views. Merchants have the ability to filter out by how much traffic you drive. I had tried this at one point with my program because I was wasting time declining so many affiliates that were banner farms, had no content or their site was just thrown together and not where my brand would want to be advertised. However, there were those few that would email me inquiring as to why they got filitered out. and I found myself constantly extending private offers to them. Though their sites were decent and most likely wouldnt drive a lot of revenue, those 1-2 sales I might get from them are still sales, so now I dont filter out by page views & visits.

Anyway- that could be another reason why you get declined before your site reaches a Manager. A non-communicative Manager is obviously not good and at that point- I wouldnt even want to work with them if they cannot return an email.
    Excellent first post, aalbert. Too bad more merchants/AMs do not have this attitude. Welcome to ABestWeb.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Not a first post- I actually logged in under an old account by accident! aalbert=red80 I realized it after I posted that! LOL

Thank you for the nice compliment though! Anything I can help to shed some light for others as well as learn from ABW.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread