ABW Ambassador
    Hello,

I just launched my second site. I like the host I use, but the stats program which looked good initially (Deep Metrix) is junk - at least for my needs (it doesn't list keyword phrases people use from the SE's to enter the site, it just lists the keywords individually, which is no help at all).

As such, I'm going to have to move my site from my current host to another provider that provides a real good stats program. My first site has Urchin Stats for the stats program which I really like.

Thus, am sort of looking for a good host that is ultra-reliable and has Urchin Stats for its web stats program. 24/7 tech support would be nice, too. Not looking for the cheapest place in town - just the most reliable. Also, an added bonus would be able to host a few more domains with the host instead of being limited to just one.

Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks.

Jim

ABW Ambassador
    There's Verio - they have Urchin stats. Alternatively, you could stick with the host you've got and install AdvanceLogger from www.perlonline.com . That will give you the information on referrers you want. It's $30.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for the perlonline.com site, markymark. That may indeed be just the ticket - assuming their scripts work on my hosts site. I sent an email off to them asking if it works on my sites servers and if it can be installed/used by someone with absolutely no knowledge of Perl!

I've read some pretty nasty reviews of Verio - which makes me leery of them, a bit.

Thanks again for the info.

Jim

Markymark

Thanks!

AdvanceLogger is exactly what I've been looking for

I use earthlink hosting they use Urchin stats,
    When I signed up first month of hosting was free, Great phone support. Downside no modrewrite for .htaccess, for the cheaper hosting plans.

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

Jim

Do you have access to your logs?

I had the same problem of rubbish stats - so I download my logs, and crunch them with analog.

It's realy easy to set up for offline analysis on your own machine - setting it up to run on your server is more complicated

This way you can get MASSIVELY detailed stats - customised exactly how you want them.

ABW Ambassador
    AdvLogger runs fine on Unix and Windows servers. It is the easiest script in the world to install - just follow the instructions in the install file.

Search Engine Positioning - 1 Design 4 Life

ABW Ambassador
    If you are prepared to change hosts then I would recommend THMedia

THMedia provides Analog, Webalizer and AWstats as standard.

Mad Doctor Gfufy

ABW Ambassador
    Or try http://www.poehosting.com

All sites come with urchin,webalizer & analog stats plus one click download of your raw logs and you can control their rotation to keep them daily and small for easy download.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Still haven't figured out what to do yet, but at least now I have some nice options.

Jim

Agree with AWstats @ THMedia..

I run AWStats on my own personal webserver, and I get all the keyword phrases and can filter out my own messing around; plus I hear great things about the support staff over at THMedia..

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Guffy:
    If you are prepared to change hosts then I would recommend http://www.thmedia.net/

THMedia provides Analog, Webalizer and AWstats as standard.

Mad Doctor Gfufy<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I back up what Guffy said 2000% There is no better host than the good folk at THMedia.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

I agree with Mr.Guffy and DPG I have all my sites at THMedia and I am very satisfied with everything.

BTW is this post 200,000?
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

No doubt about it you can't go past ThMedia

Just go to http://www.xav.com/scripts/axs/ and load up the script and run your own stats.

I could type much better if I had knuckles

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Andy Rodriguez's Avatar
    My vote goes to THMedia !!

Tom rocks..

Andy Rodriguez,
    Online Advertising / Affiliate Marketing Manager

TigerDirect.com
    P: (305) 415-2313
    E: andy.rodriguez@tigerdirect.com

Parasite Free in 2003!

THMedia automatically provides the log files that most people need, as do most hosts (some do not). THMedia is a great host. By the same token, you shouldn't need a script that generates your own logs, unless you need to look at them more than once a day - don't bother.

The trick is to get a stats program that can properly analyze the information. You need one that will tell you what SE's sent you what kind of traffic from where, and what pages did any robots spider. The stats programs that are web-based and come with your hosting package are pretty inaccurate, thus you own program.

Fred

You might just be a Parasite if..."You can't schedule a family reunion until after the parole board meets"

I find AWstats pretty lame, personally. Urchin was a bit better.

I have had "issues" with my add-on domains at THMedia. I'm going to be sticking with regular subdomains there until I see that things settle down.

Stats at FutureQuest.net are decent. My favorite bit is that on the page, the referral line is a link so I can just click it and see, for instance, where my rank is on the google/msn/aol results page. The full search string is there, though you'd need a program to extract them if you want a separate text list.

Also, you can have up to 5 IRO's or IRM's on any full hosting package. They work a bit differently than an add-on domain (the IRM's map to the same cgi-bin, same POP's, etc..). You'll hear some screaming from other webmasters about the fee for adding an IRM or IRO or subdomain, but I have absolutely no problem with it. I'd rather pay to have it work right all the time, this is my business.

Example of their stats:
    http://www.queststats.com/stats/

Go to the frames version, click on all referrers, then on any of the referrers to see a list of the full referring URL's. This isn't a great demo for how you get to see every search string that is landing you traffic (not many referrers to the demo, lol), but you can get an idea.

Reliable, great service. I've been hosting at FQ since early 2001. They have their own privately owned datacenter. Custom Command 'n' Control panel instead of Cpanel. Custom web interface for EZmlm mailing list.

good luck.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

Webmistress,
    Are you still having problems with the addon domains at TH. I have several sites with them and couldn't be happier. They are a little more per month but I am definately getting my value out of them.
    I was looking at FQ late last year. I sent them some pre sales questions and it took them several days to reply and didn't even answer the questions I was asking them.

Blue Domino,
    Everyone seems to have different experiences with different hosts. I've never had more than a couple of hours go by on emails to FQ before I get a reply.
    I'm not going to go into any more details of my experience with THMedia, lest this whole thread disappear. I do value my package with them, and Tom does try to run a top notch program. At this time I don't see any problems with my add-ons ... but I can work just as well with standard subdomains for many new projects. Almost every problem I've had in the last 10 months has been cPanel related with my add-ons, not with my main domain nor with my standard subdomains.
    I put my opinion in this thread because there are those with differing opinions on hosts. I may be one of them, and I am entitled to my opinion.
    Choosing a host is one of the most difficult and one of the most important decisions in this business. In late 2000 I spent a lot of time reading review sites, going over packages, making spreadsheets, wringing my hands after a couple of really lousy hosting experiences. I don't envy anyone who hasn't found a host that they really value and trust. It's not an easy search, and everyone has different experiences even with the same host.

- - - - -
    42. Yup, the answer to life, the universe, and everything.

"and I am entitled to my opinion"
    Sure we are entitled to our opinions, just can't post them.(Poof thread b-Gone). What a perfect World. LoL

"It's your foot, you can shoot it if you want to." ~ Me

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread