Beginner Questions
    I had submitted a support request last night and received the confirmation that I would receive a response shortly. Not sure what the average time is on requests. I figured I'd post here to see what the affiliate gurus here think.

I plan on creating a website with a vast amount of products. The site will have a lot of categories to shop through. Here are my questions:

1.) Is popshops sort of like an affiliate shopping cart? What I mean is this. Is it where I create my storefront by selecting products through companies I sign up with. People visit my storefront, select the products and then can "checkout" at the respective companies website?

2.) My goal is to create a searchable website. For example, if you go to shopping.com you can search for products via their search feature. I would like this feature available on my website. I plan on signing up with merchants for each category I want. For example, infant ware, jewelry, etc. I do plan on having more than just products, that is, actual content.

3.) Is this possible via the free account? Or would the $5 or $30/month account be better? I would like to be able to do this via PHP and an API (if popshops has one). My goal is to create pages that are dynamic so that I don't have to keep updating pages every time a price, description, etc changes on products.

Yes, that is more or less the way PopShops works. You sign up with merchants and then select their products in PopShops that you create. Each shop can have more than one merchant and they can be searched. You get a snippet of code to paste in your page for each shop. The free version has limited capabilities, I don't believe that .php is available for the free shops, just HTML (static) and .js (SEO unfriendly) so a step up to the $5 plan is a good idea. After you've built a few shops you'll probably want to go for the full buffet.
    Good luck!

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hippityhopper
    1.) Is popshops sort of like an affiliate shopping cart? What I mean is this. Is it where I create my storefront by selecting products through companies I sign up with. People visit my storefront, select the products and then can "checkout" at the respective companies website?

NO, product links work the same as if you used other tools, you don't get your own shopping cart.

2.) My goal is to create a searchable website. For example, if you go to shopping.com you can search for products via their search feature. I would like this feature available on my website. I plan on signing up with merchants for each category I want. For example, infant ware, jewelry, etc. I do plan on having more than just products, that is, actual content.
    Not really, at least not with the free, and pro.

3.) Is this possible via the free account? Or would the $5 or $30/month account be better? I would like to be able to do this via PHP and an API (if popshops has one). My goal is to create pages that are dynamic so that I don't have to keep updating pages every time a price, description, etc changes on products.
    It has never been very clear to me what the advantages of having the 30/mo account are over the regular one.

This page at Popshops explains the additional features of the Enterprise ($30/month) version ...

http://www.popshops.com/faq/start-ent

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread