Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    America's Recession-Proof Cities
    Forbes.com has a really interesting article on American cities that won't be hurt by the recession.

"America's Recession-Proof Cities"

http://www.forbes.com/business/2008/...ealestate.html

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma tops the list.
    With falling unemployment, one of the country's strongest housing markets, and solid growth in agriculture, energy and manufacturing, it looks best positioned among the nation's largest metropolitan areas to ride out the current crisis.
    source
    The others are: San Antonio, Texas; Austin, Texas; Houston; Charlotte, N.C.; Dallas; San Jose, Calif.; Raleigh, N.C.; Salt Lake City; and Seattle.

The good news is some places won't be affected as much by the recession.
    Let's hope for an economic rebound.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

I moved back to Dallas (where I am originally from) from LA for that reason...the real estate and job markets seem to be holding steady if not growing. Also, a few years back a lot of large companies started moving their operations here to avoid rising costs in markets such as cali. I still miss LA but I don't miss the $15-$20 martinis.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Well, they can call it what they want. But when my grocery and gas bill is nearly double of what the same amount cost a few years ago, it's a recession, and that's assuming one has a job! Can't give up eating. And biking a 35 mile commute is a bit rough. Add to that increasing medical bills and things really get a bit rough.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Agreed. We're not quite paying double for groceries here, but it's significantly more expensive than it was just a year ago. And our gas situation is the same as everyone else's obviously. They can slap whatever label they want on it, but that won't change what's actually going on.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Let's just hope we don't go back to the seventies with long gas lines and hyper inflation.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_jones
    Let's just hope we don't go back to the seventies with long gas lines and hyper inflation.
    There won't be any gas lines - there is an abundance of $4.00/gal gasoline, as opposed to the "shortages" of $1.00/gal gasoline of the mid-1970s.

Exxon Mobil reports $11B in quarterly profits
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

There won't be any gas lines - there is an abundance of $4.00/gal gasoline, as opposed to the "shortages" of $1.00/gal gasoline of the mid-1970s.
    Yep, that was in my mind too when I said that!

Yes, but we are getting our Economic Stimulus checks soon!
    We can buy gas with that money!!!!
    I got this email, and it's so true, but so sad:

GOVERNMENT REFUND CHECKS

The federal government is sending each and every one of us a $600 rebate.
    >
    If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, the money will go to China..
    >
    If we spend it on gasoline it will go to the Arabs.
    >
    If we purchase a computer it will go to India.
    >
    If we purchase fruit and vegetables it will go to Mexico, Honduras, and Guatemala.
    >
    If we purchase a good car it will go to Japan.
    >
    If we purchase useless crap it will go to Taiwan...
    >
    And none of it will help the American economy.
    >
    The only way to keep that money here at home is to buy prostitutes, weed, beer, cigarettes, whiskey, and tattoos, since these are the only products still produced in the USA. Thank you for your help & please support the U.S.

While I disagree with your post in it's entirety, Guiness, as far as this goes:

The only way to keep that money here at home is to buy prostitutes, weed, beer, cigarettes, whiskey, and tattoos, since these are the only products still produced in the USA. Thank you for your help & please support the U.S.
    You forgot we're still the worlds larget producer of BS.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

(My bolding)

You forgot taxes

True Noth...
    Now all we need is a car that runs on BS.

Is it true that we have to pay taxes on this money? I've heard both yes and no.

Is it true that we have to pay taxes on this money? I've heard both yes and no.
    Not sure, but anytime i get money back from the government, if I remember correctly, my accountant adds it to my income on the following year.

Then there's sales tax, gas tax (must be real high if it's a percentage), and who knows what else...

It's 100% tax free.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    It was my understanding that the funds for these rebate checks is actually being borrowed from China. With so many 0's in the deficit, I guess, at least some people, think it's ok to add a few more 0's.

The email I got this morning had everything the same except that last line. It said "Spend it all at yard sales - the only way to keep it in America!"

Someone at the beginning of the thread said their groceries weren't double yet, but significantly higher. I noticed over a year ago that things were going up by 25-30% - the rate of increase just quickened and was then picked up by the media.

Take a few basics and compare to just a couple of years ago:

Milk - now close to $4.00 a gallon
    Bread - $3 and up for all but the cheapest store brands - and they are twice what they were
    Bananas - 69 cents a pound - up from 29-30, which was the last stable price a few years ago

Meat has stayed close to the mark because some farmers are eliminating meat producing animals because it's costing more to feed them than it's worth.

The combination of packaging costs, transportation costs and crop costs all being tied to oil will keep prices rising until several "seasons" after the oil situation is more stable. It's time to look around your own region and see how you can personally eat food produced closer to home.

/sermon

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    It's 100% tax free.

Ditto that. No tax on the stimulus checks gang. If an accountant tries to add it in as income in 08, or an accountant adds your 07 tax refund as income in 08, it is definitely time to find another accountant!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

With four kids, I have noticed my food bill has doubled as well, now mind you two adolescent boys don't help much with that as well....but it is getting ridiculous, I am starting to look at every "extra" expense, going to dinner...movies...renting movies..., as well that was two tanks of gas, or half a tank....

As for the stimulus checks...they are great and all, don't mind getting cash from the government, but it would help me more if they regulated gas prices or capped what hospitals, doctors and pharmaceutical companies could charge....

Angry cnn says you won't pay taxes on the "stimulus" check yet....
    ....but seeing that it's really just a "payday advance", it will count as taxable income for your 2008 taxes.

same con job bush pulled the last time we got a "rebate" check!

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joaney
    ....but seeing that it's really just a "payday advance", it will count as taxable income for your 2008 taxes.
    for the last time, this payment is NOT TAXABLE INCOME:

IRS website - Economic Stimulus Payment FAQs: Other Questions

Q. Is my stimulus payment taxable?

A. No. You will not owe tax on your payment when you file your 2008 federal income tax return. But you should keep a copy of the IRS letter you receive later this year listing the amount of your payment.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

i stand corrected....
    "Is the stimulus check taxable?

No. The amount will not be included in your 2008 gross income. The stimulus check is an advance payment of an additional, new tax credit related to you 2008 income tax return."

http://maloney.house.gov/index.php?o...1613&Itemid=61

ABW Ambassador
    It is not taxable, but it isn't free. It is just an advance for people who would have seen the money in 2008. Enjoy your checks, but don't think it is free money from the government.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by guinness618

GOVERNMENT REFUND CHECKS

The federal government is sending each and every one of us a $600 rebate.
    >
    If we spend that money at Wal-Mart, the money will go to China..
    (Snip)
    >
    And none of it will help the American economy.
    >
    As someone who sells a lot of Wal-Mart-priced Chinese-made stuff on my other merchant sites, I must refute this notion!

It is a common, but completely erroneous, belief that stuff made in other countries gives "no" help to the American economy. It actually helps a whole lot!!!

I'll trace a theoretical Chinese consumer good I'd sell, from manufacture to the final consumer:

First, some poor Chinese peon gets all of about $1/day to assemble the thing, and some place in Shenzen gets a couple bucks for doing the business end of manufacturing (hiring, getting the raw materials together, building and other overhead, and its profit). Then, some ship operator gets maybe 50c/item to sail it over to the California port, if they're lucky (it's profitable for them because they take a gajillion items at once).

After that, the profit to China and their shippers ends!

From there, the money stays in the USA. Start at the docks. Pay for a longshoreman (at the Detroit River) was at $23/hr, 20 years ago. Surely their union hasn't allowed it to go DOWN. Also they probably get paid more in California, just because it's California.

Then comes a trucking company. That's the US, too. They take the load of incoming stock to the warehouse of the US COMPANY that is slapping their name on the stuff. Trucking isn't cheap...

The employees at the warehouse are getting paid, probably a decent-enough wage, for handling the stuff from there, taking it off the trucks, sorting it, arranging it in the warehouse, picking and packing orders, etc.

The landlord of the warehouse gets his lease payments.
    The company's overhead--utilities, customer service people, etc. is all paid.

The salesman at the company gets a commission for selling the stuff to ME...

I get a profit from selling the stuff to you...

DHL or the USPS gets paid for taking the stuff from me to you
    Uline gets a piece of the action, they sold me the shipping box, which was made in the USA.
    Sellers of advertising get a big piece. This is included because there wouldn't be any sales without it. The companies I use are based in the US.
    You get a receipt. The paper company, its lumberjacks and factory workers are in the USA.

Final cost of item: $24.95. + $8.00 shipping. Total $32.95
    Amount that actually went to China: About $3.50!!!
    This is not just speculation--I've had Chinese manufacturers approach me, and that was the deal they offered (BEFORE negotiation). If I negotiated, I'm sure it would have come down.

Amount staying in the US: $29.45

So the vast majority of a product's retail cost is spent RIGHT HERE IN THE USA, and helps to support a whole supply-chain of US workers and US companies.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    If only we ABW'ers ruled the world!! The heck with Greenspan and Bernanke! what the heck do they know about I-Marketing anyway?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    Agreed. We're not quite paying double for groceries here, but it's significantly more expensive than it was just a year ago. And our gas situation is the same as everyone else's obviously. They can slap whatever label they want on it, but that won't change what's actually going on.
    I guess I should clarify on the groceries. Our bill has nearly doubled because of recent price increases and also because our kids growing up and eating more. When they get to the teen years, they can clean out the refrigerator quite quickly!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast