Yahoo-Google Pact May Be Close
    Yahoo Inc. could announce an agreement to carry search advertisements from Google Inc. within a week, as it braces for Microsoft Corp. to go hostile or abandon its unsolicited acquisition offer for Yahoo.

The basis of such an arrangement would be a real-time auction system that would choose the most lucrative ads for any given consumer query from among those sold by Yahoo, Google and any of their competitors, the people say. Microsoft, for example, could potentially connect to the Yahoo system and have search ads it sold displayed alongside Yahoo Web-search results, under an arrangement where they likely would share ad revenue.

Such a system would be designed to allay concerns among regulators that Yahoo's relying on Google search ads would be anticompetitive. Research firm eMarketer Inc. estimates that Yahoo and Google together will account for 83% of U.S. search advertising this year.

Outsourced Program Manager Joe-MV's Avatar
    I'm probably in the minority here, but I really hope that none of these mergers - Yahoo+MSN or Yahoo+Google or even Google+MSN - ever happen. I think the best thing for advertisers is the competition, and having companies like Yahoo and MSN continue to pursue Google, even if they'll never get to that level. This makes Google always have to check over their shoulder, and continue to improve, which benefits all of us.

So, I hope this doesn't happen - especially with Yahoo's recent acquisition of IndexTools.

But would we call it Yahgle or GooHoo?

it's going to happen !!! Not sure if it's good or bad. My Yahoo conversion have been dropping that last few mo.. so maybe it's a good thing?

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by KODea
    it's going to happen !!! Not sure if it's good or bad. My Yahoo conversion have been dropping that last few mo.. so maybe it's a good thing?
    Huh?
    Yahoo says talks on Microsoft tie-up are dead
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080612...FItk0AhxOIzdAF

yes if you use Ad center forget about it... They will never be a player

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Huh?
    Yahoo says talks on Microsoft tie-up are dead
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080612...FItk0AhxOIzdAF

Microsoft wanted to buy Yahoo last mo. then Y comes back and says buy us. Microsoft says we are no longer interested. Did Microsoft want to be a player in search or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    This is in reference to displaying ads on Y! from G, not a true buyout of Y! by Google... correct?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, not Google or MSN buying Yahoo. But:

"Hoping to boost its revenue, Yahoo is expected to announce a deal that will turn over a piece of its online ad platform to Google. In a two-week trial completed in April, Google demonstrated its superior technology could generate higher revenue from text-based ad links displayed alongside some of Yahoo’s search results."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25123412

So I'm still a little confused on all of that. Since Yahoo has Yahoo Sponsored Search and Google has Adwords. So now some Adwords ads are going to be mixed in with the Yahoo Sponsored Ads?

yes correct.. G not buying Y just partnering.. I'm thinking about just getting rid of Y all together anyways.. looks like we are all just under the mercy of G. However, my CPC is the lowest with them anyways.. Anybody else?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    The most legitimate place for PPC Ad displays has always been next to the SERPs brought up by keyword searches. The content network contextual PPC Ads on 3rd party publisher sites is just a crap shoot. So Google Adwords wants in on just the Yahoo Search network eyeballs. Basically Yahoo.com and Yahoo Shopping where fraud and gray area trademark liabilities can be controlled.

Google has it's own problems with MFA click traps, Get-paid-to crap clicks, BHO search bars and forced click scripts on 3rd party sites... etc etc. So they sure don't want in on the Yahoo PPC content network as they have enough trouble policing their own network.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe-MV
    I'm probably in the minority here...
    I don't think so. Competition is key for most of us here. Monopolistic behaviors are a known quantity and Google is already showing some of those behaviors. The best thing for us, users of these services, is that a real force opposes Google, to force it to compete, just like a normal company should.

A Y! & MS merge/acquisition is probably one of the best things that can happen to keep competition between then alive.

Lately, Y! seems a little out of control and it's recent behavior reflects that. Y! is behaving like a teenage girl (love you, love you not ......) and its shareholders will be the first to suffer for it.

Like Carl Icahn suggested a few days ago, giving Jerry Yang "the boot" would be a first good step. Then, the remaining adults can have reasonable discussions.

Last edited by delsol; June 12th, 2008 at 09:53 PM.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread