View Poll Results: Do you see a benefit with the gas tax suspension?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • It's great, I can save $$

2 4.65%
  • Does not help me much..

5 11.63%
  • It's a political gimmic.

39 90.70%
  • It will hurt the economy further

9 20.93%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Summer Gas Tax Suspension? Thoughts..
    What do you think about the gas tax talk that is going around?

Facts:
    -Fixed federal tax at 18.4 cents per gallon
    -Average gas price as of today (U.S.) is $3.603
    -Lifting the gas tax for three months would save the average consumer no more than $30, some estimate $25
    -Strip the U.S. government of about $10 billion for roadway and transportation projects
    -Two of the three political candidates support the gas tax suspension.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5g...OCzbgD90DKAK80

I drive 50 miles to work, one way and I am not a big fan of this.
    In a free market economy, I do not think that it will help the average consumer.

Pls do not go into politics..
    Last edited by Eric Ewe; May 2nd, 2008 at 01:15 PM.

Pointless. Won't work.

edit: I named a name, but pulled it down, even though it wasn't really a political commentary.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I think the fact that candidates from both sides are supporting a gas tax suspension will help keep it from getting too political. It's definitely election-year pandering, if you ask me.

I agree with you Eric. I don't think it'll make any significant positive impact on individuals, but would have a fairly big negative impact on us as a whole.

I would actually support doing just the opposite... I've thought for quite a while that raising the federal gas tax significantly (and putting that money into infrastructure, drilling, refining, public transportation, research and conservation projects) would do far more good. The additional tax would reduce demand slightly (although we've already seen that the demand is pretty elastic). Infrastructure projects would help the economy tremendously by providing jobs, plus it would make our roads and bridges safer. Drilling and increasing our refining capacity is the best medium-term solution to reducing our dependence on foreign oil. Public transportation improvements would help relieve congestion and fuel usage. Research into alternate technologies is the best long-term solution to reducing our dependence on foreign oil.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I think the fact that candidates from both sides are supporting a gas tax suspension will help keep it from getting too political. It's definitely election-year pandering, if you ask me.

I agree with you Eric. I don't think it'll make any significant positive impact on individuals, but would have a fairly big negative impact on us as a whole.

I would actually support doing just the opposite... I've thought for quite a while that raising the federal gas tax significantly (and putting that money into infrastructure, drilling, refining, public transportation, research and conservation projects) would do far more good. The additional tax would reduce demand slightly (although we've already seen that the demand is pretty elastic). Infrastructure projects would help the economy tremendously by providing jobs, plus it would make our roads and bridges safer. Drilling and increasing our refining capacity is the best medium-term solution to reducing our dependence on foreign oil. Public transportation improvements would help relieve congestion and fuel usage. Research into alternate technologies is the best long-term solution to reducing our dependence on foreign oil.
    I agree with the basics of what you are saying, but I think there has been research into alternate technologies up the ying-yang. Its time to implement these technologies. There needs to be new high taxes imposed on ExxonMobile, Standard, etc., and considerable tax breaks offered to companies implementing ethanol and hydrogen powered vehicle technology. There is no reason there is no massive effort to convert engines to ethanol useage, and there is barely the beginning of the use of hydrogen-powered vehicle use. Even electric powered vehicles could be cost-energy-environmently beneficial, if existing solar and wind technology were implemented on a large scale for energy production.

As to raising federal gas taxes, unfortunately that would seriously and adversely affect low-income people the most, people who now can barely afford gas to get to and from work, or to work their small businesses. I mentioned a few days ago in another thread that my pool guy who lives 50-60 miles from his core of customers can afford now to only drive home on weekends, spending the workweek bunking in his mother's room in a retirement home.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Seems like a short-sighted stopgap measure to me.

Michael and The Dawg have some pretty good ideas in what they wrote. We need some "good" reasons to further develop AND implement alternative energy sources. But this is an election year - so, it's a safe bet that it ain't gonna happen.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Political gimmick shortcut. No real work needed. Let's start with an energy policy we can all understand, I say.

I was listening to a speaker talking about this in the car not 20 minutes ago...

Yes, it's total political pandering. It will not save the average driver much money (since it would only be for a couple of months) but it would strip the government of billions from the funds needed to keep up our infrastructure (and that includes a loss of jobs as well).

The only reasons the candidates are supporting it are because it sounds good and they know it will never pass.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

No way will it pass...I'd only save $2.50 a fill up anyway. Cancelling infurstructure improvement projets isn't the best idea right now. People need the work and when we stop investing in our infurstructure I'm going to really start to worry. Here you go fed...take the $2.50

There is one fact missing.

How much does the US government spend already for road and transportation projects? It is roughly $300 billion. So if my math is right, that is a 3.3% reduction in what the Feds will be able to spend on road and transportation projects if they don’t increase the funding from another source.

Oh the humanity!

Is it political pandering, yes.

Will it significantly impact citizens? Well that depends on the individual, but that shouldn’t be the question. The question should be are the feds spending those billions on roads and transportation projects in a responsible manner?

The problem is the feds need to stop spending like ‘drunken sailors’ and mind the budget like each one of us does for our families.

They should make gas $10 a gallon, use the new tax to give everyone healthcare.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Dire Straits sang it as Money for Nothing and the Pot Holes are Free. It's embarrassing. I wish they'd warn me when they're trying to kiss my butt for vote pandering.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Good thread.

>and when we stop investing in our infrastructure

Errr. I think that happened quite a while ago

ABW Ambassador
    "I think the fact that candidates from both sides are supporting a gas tax suspension will help keep it from getting too political. It's definitely election-year pandering, if you ask me."

Well not all candidates are supporting it. McCain is, Clinton is. I was just watching the news and they were showing excerpts from Meet the Press and Obama is not supporting it and called it a "classical Washington gimmick" Said it would only save consumers on average $28.

"Turning up the heat on an issue closer to home, Obama called Clinton's proposal for a gas-tax holiday this summer a "classic Washington gimmick" that wouldn't solve anything and would save only $28 for each person. He opposes the temporary suspension of the federal tax and argued that Clinton was pandering for votes."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080504/...l_pr/democrats

"edit: I named a name, but pulled it down, even though it wasn't really a political commentary."

Not sure if you were talking about Obama? I wouldn't call it political commentary just posting facts.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Interesting. I have said for years that I would raise gas tax substantially to serve two purposes:

1. I would hope it would curtail usage so we would stop sending unbelievable amounts of money to governments that publicly state they would like to see the United States destroyed.

2. I would use the proceeds to entice the best minds in the country to come up with alternative energy sources with a gigantic prize going to any school, group or individual that comes up with an alternate fuel that works in gas engines and is not cost prohibitive to convert existing automobiles to.

Not sure how old many of you are. But if you drove in the early 1970's during the Arab oil embargo you saw just a glimpse of what our enemies can do to this country.

It's way beyond time to end our energy dependence.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Dire Straits sang it as Money for Nothing and the Pot Holes are Free. It's embarrassing. I wish they'd warn me when they're trying to kiss my butt for vote pandering.
    Not to get political, BUT -- I nominate Mike's quote as the best political/non-political comment I've heard regarding this gas tax thing and regarding just about every other shenanigan going on this year.

Such insight borders on greatness.
    Generate more fake news.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Not to get political, BUT -- I nominate Mike's quote as the best political/non-political comment I've heard regarding this gas tax thing and regarding just about every other shenanigan going on this year.

Such insight borders on greatness.
    .... stop your embarrassing me to the point of drooling. That's when Charlie spouts out the obvious superiority of Parrots.... who do not drool.... regardless of how idiotic they act.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I agree with most of the folks here. Pandering. And at the expense of needed funds to keep up our highways.

Why not cut some other federal programs, less essential in nature, and give back the money to citizens so they have more money to buy gas?
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Probably because the money won't go directly into buying gas. The rebate checks we're getting? Not going into the gas tank. (Not directly anyway). A recent poll that I heard about said that about 80% of respondents said that they would not be spending the rebate checks but would be using them to pay off credit cards and bills.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread