Affiliate Manager izzyprints.com's Avatar
    Thumbs up What good are Coupon sites?
    So as some of you might know, I recently started an affiliate program for my site Izzyprints.com. I have gotten plenty of great affiliates to sign up but then there are some affiliate who have signed up that run coupon sites. I have nothing against these sites being an affiliate but my question is this, do these sites do any good for the affiliates who run them?

They don't seem like they generate a lot of traffic but I'm new to all of this so there might be something that I'm missing. What is the goal of most of these sites?

Thanks,

Torrel Alexis

ABW Ambassador
    Those type of sites save people money and good ones make a lot of money.

I figured they must make some amount of money otherwise people wouldn't invest their time in creating or maintaining them. I guess my question should be, are they generally reputable sites or is there anything that I should be concerned about by having them as affiliates?

15 years and counting
    Many coupon sites are reputable, well maintained with accurate information and are bringing a steady flow of sales to the merchants working with them.
    The problem is that lots of bad affiliates are jumping in the bandwagon to practise their dirty activities, cookie stuffing, forbidden keyword bidding, stealing coupons or content...
    Be concerned with affiliates cutting corners, they are everywhere not only with coupon sites.

Yes, I had a 'coupon site' before anyone heard of a coupon site... my site has been up nine years... There are lots of wonderful ones but sadly because any press is good press most people tend to hear more about the cruddy ones than the good ones...

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Yes, coupon site works.

"What is the goal of most of these sites?"

As most affiliates, it is to make $$.

FYI - http://www.abestweb.com/advertising/

ABW Ambassador

Trust, Anne, Zeus, thank you for your insightful replies.

A few bad apples can spoil the bunch but my view of coupon sites is largely positive and I welcome them in my program. Fortunately, many of my affiliates who run coupon sites seem to have put a lot of work into their sites so they come across as refined reputable web sites, not a cheesy coupon banner farms.

Eric,
    As Trust was kind enough to point out, I am well aware of Abestweb's advertising options. Thanks for the info though. Its always appreciated.

Take care all,
    Torrel Alexis

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    let me go eat my humble pie...

What good are datafeed driven sites, what good are content sites...
    Really, there are good and bad affiliates in all spaces. I am an affiliate, coupon sites are affiliates.

Before I got into the affiliate biz and I would just shop online I always looked for coupon sites. When I found a good coupon I would be more inclined to make my purchase through the site's link than a price comparison site or a site that I had to read a bunch of "stuff" to get to the real issue - how much? The only time I would look for the stuff to read was when purchasing computer or electronic equipment, then I would decide on which one I wanted based on the stuff I read....then go hunt for a coupon.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

I might add that many of my top merchants are ones that I never post coupons for and I am not optimizing their pages on my site for the word coupon.
    I am an affiliate site who also posts coupons.
    How many coupons must you post before you are considered a "coupon site"?
    I have more non coupon links than coupons on my site, so doesn't that make me NOT a coupon site then?

I also run a "coupon site" but most of my "large merchants don't even run coupons. Most of them seem to run weekly deals, specials.. etc. etc.... which I do post on a daily basis, but takes a lot of my day.

I wish they would post % off, dollar off coupons rather than weekly specials... just my 2 cents.

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread