Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Am I Paranoid Or Could My Hosting Co. be Stealing?
    I am paranoid...I know this, however, recently I had severe problems w/my site crashing with a new hosting company. They moved the site to a new server and I have haven't had any additional problems nor have they charged me anymore for my site being moved to its "own" server. But since the move my site traffic and sales have dropped by over 65%. Is it possible they could be stealing my business somehow and if so, is there a way for me to detect it?

    Thanks!
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  2. #2
    Member niche's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2007
    Posts
    197
    Moving servers, sounds like they are having problems. I wouldn'tgo as far as suggesting that they are stealing your business but it seems that it is time for you to find a new more stable hosting service
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    If search engine bots continued to time out when crawling your site (during the crashes), you would see a drop in natural SERP traffic. Drop in traffic = drop in sales (for me anyway)

    Make sure you have your site setup in google webmaster tools so you can monitor it more closely.

    Just because the site has stabilized, it doesn't mean the search engines are back to crawling at normal frequency (and ranking you as high). It can easily take a few weeks to recover from site disruptions (as related to seo).. which kinda sucks. But there's no reason it won't come back..

  4. #4
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    I've never had a great page rank with Google and it's been about 3 weeks since the server change. I can see where the crashes would hurt traffic, but not to this extent.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    How are your clicks? If the number of clicks are the same I'd check your links to make sure they've got your correct tracking code. It's highly unlikely a hosting company would do this though as it would ruin their reputation if word got out.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  6. #6
    MasterMike HardwareGeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    3,810
    Moving servers often times requires a DNS update, I have seen DNS updates take 2 weeks to complete. That can be a cause of lower sales.

  7. #7
    Tax Paying Member
    Join Date
    November 14th, 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,119
    LeeAnn.......are we useing the same host?

    My host recently moved also and not much seems to
    be working right since they moved locations. My problems
    started about 2 months ago. If it is the same host, they
    seem to have had a major malfunction just before they
    started the physical move.

    I am migrating all of my sites to new hosts.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

  8. #8
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    How are your clicks? If the number of clicks are the same I'd check your links to make sure they've got your correct tracking code. It's highly unlikely a hosting company would do this though as it would ruin their reputation if word got out.

    - Scott
    That is one of the things that is WAY down Snib.
    Last edited by leeann; May 3rd, 2008 at 07:02 PM.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  9. #9
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    LeeAnn.......are we useing the same host?

    My host recently moved also and not much seems to
    be working right since they moved locations. My problems
    started about 2 months ago. If it is the same host, they
    seem to have had a major malfunction just before they
    started the physical move.

    I am migrating all of my sites to new hosts.
    We could? My host has 3 numbers at the beginning of its name. It is a little strange that they aren't asking me for more money...
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  10. #10
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    I guess it is paranoia...one of the side effects of not understanding how things work! I hate to switch servers yet again, but if this continues into next week I guess I'll do it just for piece of mind.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  11. #11
    Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    12,817
    Check your PM in a few mins.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    That is what one of the things that is WAY down Snib.
    Then it sounds like it's likely nothing to do with your host. Have you clicked around your site to make sure all the links are working properly? Also might want to check your search engine traffic and see if that took a hit. Could check your awstats or other local stat program to see if people are getting timeouts or anything. It's not very likely but your new host could have a limit on the number of apache requests that can be made and you may be on an overloaded server. Another thought is to compare your Google Analytics stats to your Awstats to see if there is a discrepancy. If awstats reports more users than analytics that's an indication that users are hitting your site but they aren't getting your pages to load.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  13. #13
    Moderator
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2006
    Posts
    2,689
    I can see where the crashes would hurt traffic, but not to this extent
    I lost important seo page features for a day (my own fault, it was accidental) at a time when search engines were visiting regularly. I'm seo-obsessed & watch my google rankings VERY closely - it took 4 weeks to recover from that one minor incident.

    As I said, you should use google webmaster tools to verify what the search engines see..

  14. #14
    ABW Ambassador Doug247's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    DE USA
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Moving servers often times requires a DNS update, I have seen DNS updates take 2 weeks to complete. That can be a cause of lower sales.

    I was under the impression DNS updates take about 24 to 48 hours. What would cause DNS update to take 2 weeks?
    Thanks,
    Doug

  15. #15
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by itsupportnotes
    I was under the impression DNS updates take about 24 to 48 hours. What would cause DNS update to take 2 weeks?
    It was almost automatic when they made the switch. Less than 12 hours.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  16. #16
    ABW Ambassador Joshua's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2006
    Posts
    854
    To answer your original question, it's most likely due to downtime or technical issues, or search engine rank changes. There really isn't a way for a host to steal your sales.

    Now the question really is did your conversion rate drop? If your conversion rate (clicks to sales ratio) is the same, then it's most likely due to a drop in traffic to your site.

  17. #17
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    There really isn't a way for a host to steal your sales.
    Really? I would think a code slipped in a hidden file could do something similar to what legit companies like Goldencan can do - take your fourth click, etc..
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  18. #18
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Now the question really is did your conversion rate drop? If your conversion rate (clicks to sales ratio) is the same, then it's most likely due to a drop in traffic to your site.
    According to the awstats, my traffic hasn't changed. I'm just NOT seeing the usual click-throughs or sales.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  19. #19
    ABW Ambassador Snib's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Really? I would think a code slipped in a hidden file could do something similar to what legit companies like Goldencan can do - take your fourth click, etc..
    That would require an intimate understanding of your database, affiliate networks and code to pull off. They'd basically have to understand the inner workings of your site and modify it. So if this happened right after they moved your site they'd have needed at least a few hours to analyze your code and database before doing anything. If they had programming skills like that they probably wouldn't be running a web hosting company.

    - Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

  20. #20
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    That would require an intimate understanding of your database, affiliate networks and code to pull off. They'd basically have to understand the inner workings of your site and modify it. So if this happened right after they moved your site they'd have needed at least a few hours to analyze your code and database before doing anything. If they had programming skills like that they probably wouldn't be running a web hosting company.

    - Scott
    That's good. I don't have a very strong understanding of coding, etc., and stay amazed at what one simple line of code can actually do. I'm glad to hear coming up with the one line isn't all that easy.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Merchant who's paranoid of ParasiteWare!
    By mcdavidmeek in forum Suspicious Activity!
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: April 20th, 2004, 04:52 AM
  2. How Paranoid Are You?
    By Justdoit in forum Midnight Cafe'
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: August 25th, 2002, 06:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •