Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Tragedy at Kentucky Derby
    Favorite Big Brown ran a great race, winning going away, but second-place finisher Eight Belles broke both front ankles, and as reported on NBC, was euthanized on the track.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Yeah.

It's sad.

Wasn't it last year that another horse broke it's leg or something at the KY Derby?

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Sad
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    When fillies run against the boys they have been known to put out 110%.

It goes back to the day of Ruffian at Belmont.

One of the reasons Rags to Riches was retired.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Yeah.

It's sad.

Wasn't it last year that another horse broke it's leg or something at the KY Derby?
    In 2006, Barbaro won the Kentucky Derby, then shattered a leg two weeks later running in the Preakness. He was in the news for about 9 months as he waged a valiant battle through numerous surgeries, but eventually was also euthanized.
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    SO sad.

t's really heart breaking when a horse gives her/his all and destroys her/himself to win a race. They're beautiful courageous animals.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Meanwhile, I loved seeing Big Brown win it from the outside most post.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    When fillies run against the boys they have been known to put out 110%.

It goes back to the day of Ruffian at Belmont.

One of the reasons Rags to Riches was retired.
    The annals of thougthbread racing are filled with such events. For those of you who don't know the story, Ruffian, one of the greatest fillies ever to race, and strongly compared to the fabulous Secretariat of the same era (ESPN's 35th greatest athlete of the 20th century), hit her shoulder in the starting gate just as the race began, and putting exta weight on her other leg, shattered it during the race. Ahead at the time, she refused to stop despite the pain, and by the time her jockey could rein her in, her leg was a horrible mess, well beyond repair.
    Last edited by Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound; May 3rd, 2008 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    I think they said the last #20 post position horse to with the Derby was in the 1920s.

ABW Ambassador
    I was watching when Ruffian was injured, and also yesterday when Eight Belles was hurt (and euthanized) - how aweful for everyone involved! Even the vet looked really shaken up.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It's extremely sad. I saw bits of the race...one minute Big Brown had just one, next time I looked, Eight Belles was down.

I hope for the day that vets can fix the majority of broken legs on horses. It's such a shame that they have to die for things like that.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

What's the deal with the fast euth? Is it hard for horses to recover from leg injuries or is that typically more of a financial decision? (I'm asking out of complete ignorance...never heard of doing it "on the track.")
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    What's the deal with the fast euth? Is it hard for horses to recover from leg injuries or is that typically more of a financial decision? (I'm asking out of complete ignorance...never heard of doing it "on the track.")

I think it's because it's extremely difficuilt to keep a horse immobile so that the leg can heal. The injuries that Eight Belles suffered were probably so severe that they made the decision to put her down right there on the track.

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    As a race horse owner I can tell you seeing such a filly go down made me sick, what happens more than likely is her ankle fractured, she placed all her weight on the other front. Horses hit the ground when running at an impact of 12,000 pounds. That force fractured/broke her other leg.

A vet looking at the injury and the horses condition can tell instantly if there's a chance of saving the animal. If he decided to put her down on the spot I'm certain it was very bad.
    If she could have been saved her value as broodmare was maybe 5-10 million$$

42,000 thoroughbreds are born each year, only 5% are great, <1% are superior.

On 20 are in the Derby.

The sport is moving away from dirt tracks to poly which is a lot easier on them.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    That is so sad! I watched the Kentucky Derby on Saturday but didn't hear this news until I saw this thread.
    [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Dina Riccobono[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR=Blue]MarketLeverage Marketing Manager
    Twitter: MarketLeverage / MLDina[/COLOR]

Outsourced Program Manager DavidG-MV's Avatar
    It was really sad...You'd think that they could have got Belles off the track first...but I guess maybe it had to be done..
    Don't know too much about horses, but it seems cruel.

We can clone them but we can't fix a broken leg????
    David Green - [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com]MoreVisibility[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com/seoblog/]Blogs[/URL] - [URL=http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497]Support Forum[/URL] - [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=19856]New SAS Program - 1STOPlighting.com[/URL][/B]

Joe, from what I understand its due to anatomy and medical reasons. Horses to survive have to be able to suppport their tremendous weight on their skinny legs. If a horse injures one leg, it has a chance, but when they injure two legs that severely, its almost impossible for them to survive.

Remember with Barbaro, as bad as his one leg was broken, they did everything possible to keep him alive, but after he developed laminitis in the other leg, and couldn't put his weight on either leg, he didn't have a chance, and at the end, he developed laminitis in his other 2 good legs as well.

I think with horese like 8 Belles, the owner would do everything possible, and spare no expense, if the horse could be saved.

ABW Ambassador
    With Belles it was too severe, bones coming thru the skin. It's hard for horses because they're big animals, not prone to staying still. And with bone breaks like that, high risk of infection. Something about eating too, digestion. Just an animal that needs to be on it's legs to survive. And I didn't Google for any of that, I think that's pretty accurate. It's weird becaue I have 3 exes over the years that either had a horse growing up or had one currently and I've asked that before. I said, why don't they just put it in a cast like they do for humans. More often than not, they have to be put down.

VERY Sad indeed, but don't think it's the first time a horse has been "put down" on the track. Just a sidenote, I saw this morning that PETA is calling for the jockey to be suspended. I know nothing about horse racing but I don't see the logic in that.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaff
    VERY Sad indeed, but don't think it's the first time a horse has been "put down" on the track. Just a sidenote, I saw this morning that PETA is calling for the jockey to be suspended. I know nothing about horse racing but I don't see the logic in that.
    They want an investigation into whether or not 8Belles was injured earlier in the race and that, if so, the jockey should have pulled her up when it happened.

They also want changes in thoroughbred racing - PETA demanding changes after Eight Belles' death

She was just a baby, only three years old. She was very big, with slim legs. If she'd been allowed to grow up she would have been magnificent. It could have been predicted.

They don't make the statistics public, but if they did I'm sure there would be an uproar. It isn't unusual for this to happen, but it's usually not so obvious.
    Affiliate Marketing - The hardest easy money I ever made.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    I cried when I saw them euthanize her. Horses are such awesome beings, to see one lost at such a young age is so tragic.
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Outsourced Program Manager RogerSnow's Avatar
    My family has been in the Thoroughbred business for over 60 years. Unfortunately, injuries and accidents do happen. Trainers, owners and grooms get attached to their horses, so it makes it very hard when they have to euthanise. To make matters worse, its even more hard for owners when they have a horse as good as Barbaro and Eight Belles go down to injuries like this. They put alot of money into the purchase of the horse, vet bills, daily up keep and more. It sucks all around.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Won again today, next is Belmont on June 7th for the Triple Crown.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Won again today, next is Belmont on June 7th for the Triple Crown.
    Yup, he won the Preakness resoundingly. He didn't lead from the start, but he might as well have. Once they came into the last turn, he just stepped out there and ran away from the rest of the field. I forgot to listen for how many lengths he won by, but I imagine just from what it looked like, it must've been by 4 or 5 lengths.

Quite a horse, considering he's only run 5 races -- and won all 5.

Barring accidents, I think he'll be a shoo-in for the Triple Crown.
    Generate more fake news.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast