ABW Ambassador
    Anyone using Google ad manager?
    I swear to god I am not this dense, but for the life of me this software makes no sense. I have written my own ad serving software, in the last 10 years I have used 3 or 4 different products, and I cannot even figure out where in the hell you even add the ad code to the bewildering choices of orders, placements, slots and whatever the hell else.

I really would like to get rid of my ad serving server, but this just has me lost.

Has anyone else had any luck with it?

Kansas City, Mo
    yes, actually a lot

ABW Ambassador
    So where do you add the actual banner code? Not for you site, but to be served?

This may help you, and anyone else who is trying to set it up, would post a link see further instructions - but against the terms I guess, So here you are:

Go to Google Ad Manager and click on the Inventory, and you should be taken to the "Ad Slots" section. The page should be blank, if this is your first time, so it should look like this:

The you need to add a "new ad slot" for each ad position. For this example, lets use four ad slots, but you may need one, two, four, six, or more. But in this case, lets create four ad slots.

Click on the New Ad Slot link at the top.

Lets create four new ad slots, naming them SERF-125Ad1, SERF-125Ad2, SERF-125Ad3, and SERF-125Ad4, respectively.

For this example select the size 125x125 from the drop down menu and I change the Target window from "_top" to "_blank", (you can set your own preferences). If you do not want AdSense to compete for your ad space and I don't, uncheck the box near the AdSense.

Feel free to add a more detailed description of the ad slot, for organization purposes. It should look like this:

Repeat this process for all your ad slots. Here is a screen shot of the Ad Slots page after adding the four new ad slots:

Now that your ad slots are set up, you need to create an Ad Placement. Ad placements let you group ad slots together, so that you can rotate your ad slots evenly in the same location. For example, I want all my advertisers to see the ad slot 1 position, they all should get a fair shot to be at that top position.

Go to the Ad Placements section by clicking on "Placements" under the "Inventory" tab. You should see a screen like this:

Now click on "New Placement" and give it a name. Let's name it Ad Placement, "SER Forums 125 Left Top Zone." Also ad a description if you'd like, "The ads on the left bar on Search Engine Roundtable Forums." Then, you need to assigned those ad slots to this placement. Click "add" next to the ad slots you want associated with this ad placement. In this case selected all four ad slots. Here is a screen capture of the New Placement page:

Click "save" and you should see the Placement list view:

Recap: So far you ahve created four ad slots and then associated those four ad slots to a single ad placement.

Now it is time to get your creative up. To do so, you need to create "Orders."

Go to your "Orders" section by clicking on the Orders tab on the left of "Inventory." You should see a screen that looks like this:

Then clicked on "New Order" and fill out the order information here. Let's use Text Link Ads as an example. Name the order, "Text Link Ads Forum Ad Run", give it an external ID, and set the "flight dates." Flight dates are important, make sure you set the dates to begin when you want to see them (note, Google's default start date is always one day ahead, so if you want to see them now, set them to today). The billable party in this case is the advertiser. Here is a screen capture of what you should see so far:

You can then Asign the ads to a user if you like, ie: You may have multiple users in your company. After that you need to add the "Advertisers", by clicking on add new. This contextual pop up opens and asks you to enter the Company name, in this case, "Text Link Ads." Then select "advertiser" from the type drop down, in some cases, it may be an agency.

I then need to add the "Advertisers", by clicking on add new. This contextual pop up opens and asks you to enter the Company name, in this case, "Text Link Ads." I then selected "advertiser" from the type drop down, in some cases, it may be an agency.

Then click "save" and it add Text Link Ads to the advertiser box:

The next step is option, Add Agency, but you can skip it if not needed:

You can then add contacts to the order. The contacts include billing contacts, media contacts or other contacts. Click on the text field and then click on the "New Contact" link:

You will then be prompted wth this form, that you can fill out. This will give the user access to see the statistics from the ad:

The final field on the add order page is the "notes," which is also optional.

After you set up an order, you need to add new "line items" so you can set up the advertiser's banner ads. Let's move on by adding an ad for Text Link Ads. You should see a screen like this, immediately after adding an order.

Now, click "New Line Item" at the top left of the page. Lets call this line item "TLA 125 Black Ad." The flight dates are important, and then give them the same flight dates as when you set up the initial order. Remember to move the start date to today, if you want the ad live immediately. Then change "delivery priority" to exclusive, so that you can set the "cost type" to a "CPD" (cost per day). This example you set the cost per day to about $67 dollars for now, you can give a discount, if you like. Here is a screen capture of what is filled out so far on this page:

Next on the page is to associate the line item with an ad placement. Remember the ad placement you set above, it is shown here and is associated to this line item:

If you want to apply special targeting options for this ad, you can. Targeting options include browser version, browser language, bandwidth, geography (country, region or state, metro or DMA, and city), operating system and user domain. We don't have any special targeting requirements, so lets skip it, but here is a screen shot of one of the available options:

Finally, fill out the delivery options. Here is a screen capture:

You are then taken back to the Order page, showing the line items for that order. Click on the line item you just set up and you will see that the line item requires a "creative." The creative is the banner ad. Here is a screen shot of the page, see next to the 125x125 on the bottom left, it says "needs creatives"?

Click on "Upload Creatives" at the top and it gives you a form to fill out.Enter the name of the creative, the ad slot size, and select "Standard Image Redirect" from the creative type pull down. In this example we use static image ads and prefer to host the image on our side, so that is why I selected this option. Ad Manager supports .jpg, .gif, .png, .swf, and third-party rich-media tags. Ad Manager will host the creative files for you, or you can specify the URL where the creative resides. Here is a screen capture:

Once you click save, Google will ask you to review and approve/activate the ad, once you approve it - you are taken back to the list view.

Adding the ad to your blog is the next step. Go back to "Ad Slots" and at the right, you will see a link to "Generate Sample HTML," click it. Click "add" next to each of the ads you added.

Then click "Generate HTML" at the bottom and it will give you the code. There are two pieces of code:

1. The JavaScript code that goes in your Header file. Copy that code from the html box below into your header file, on the pages your ads will be displayed.
    2. The JavaScript code to place where you want the ads to display. Copy each piece of code in the place you want each ad slot. I already styled my ads in div tags, so I stuck them into my div tags, in the place I want the ads to show.

Place the code on your website - and voila, you're done!

Hope this helps
    Last edited by tief79; May 4th, 2008 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Images were not working :)

ABW Ambassador

Seems like such a mess, I have been spoiled with the simplicity phpadsnew. I always have this fear, some little setting somewhere is going to cause ads not to run, mix wrong etc.

I am guessing while my traffic is right for this solution, how I manage my ads is not.

Rolet, when you said you had actually a lot of success with it, what did you mean? The serving? The control? The reporting? I am not sure I understand your comment in relation to the service.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Houston TX
    Never used it but with the step by step instructions posted by tief79, I might as well dive in.

Bookmarked it for future ref.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread