ABW Ambassador
    Non-animated banners, please!
    Among many others (a lot of shoppers with valid credit cards, BTW), some of us (including me) hate animated banners on pages.

If you offer your banners only as animated, can you please, PLEASE, PLEASE make some available so it's not all animated twinklers that are available from you and we can have some to use that are non-animated and tolerable?

If you think your banners will attract more attention because they're animated and *MOVE*, you're wrong. They aren't, because they're not going on pages at all - neither are you, altogether, most likely. How about making a minor concession to those who aren't yutzes who take whatever you throw at them, and spend time thinking about what's a tolerable user experience?

[Mods, please move this elsewhere if more appropriate, it's just that I've been looking for side column banners this week and they're all going BLINK.]

Tax Paying Member
    I vote for this.............Animated banners are nice at times....
    but please match it with a static banner.

More than one on the same page.......creates a christmas tree
    effect.....looks like a roadside diner from the 50's movies.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Witzer
    I vote for this.............Animated banners are nice at times....
    but please match it with a static banner.

More than one on the same page.......creates a christmas tree
    effect.....looks like a roadside diner from the 50's movies.
    They can also increase load time to slooooowwww, in which case a lot of users will just hit the back button (unless it's disabled, which is indefensible), and we really can't blame them.

If different "frames" of animated banners display different images or messages, how about providing both, or all, to affiliates (as static banners) and doing some A/B testing to see which perform better?

C'mon guys, we're partners and we're in this thing together, aren't we? Give us all a break and provide us with tools we can use that will work.

I have to agree! It can take hours of trying out various banners to find one that doesn't wreck the page. The most productive banners can be very subtle, I sometimes resort to making my own and hooking them up to a text link.
    I, too, just finished the past several hours trying to finish a page of information and all I found were blinking at various speeds to give anyone a headache. What about a nice little logo banner that doesn't blink, or a popular product, small, with a few words maybe to sit right next to a paragraph and entice people instead of driving them away.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think some of each are good.

I've seen animated banners that I love. I've also seen some I hate.

As for whether they work--as in, do they bring in any sales--I've seen results all over the board. It's not even category specific. Ugly animated ones fail a lot more often than ugly static ones, though.

The ones I like have some qualities in common:

* They convey a message beyond "buy this." The other frames may tell about a sale, free or cheap shipping, the product quality, or something else like that.

* The frames go by at a slow enough rate to be easily read, without having a blinking effect.

* The colors are not jarring. There is usually a lot of whitespace, too.

* They aren't gaudy, or ugly in any way. Merchants in the "super dirt cheap!!" selling point need to realize that if they remind people of a "Get a Free Nano!!!!" ad, they're not going to get clicks.

Marcia is right that it's hard to get anyone to RUN animated banners. The one I made ended up getting a prime spot. On my sites. If I wanted to properly split-test it, I would have had to put it on FastClick...
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    What about a nice little logo banner that doesn't blink, or a popular product, small, with a few words maybe to sit right next to a paragraph and entice people instead of driving them away.
    Also, how about some banners that lead to major sections of a site, where visitors can drill down to the specifics as they choose?

Got a section for vegetables? How about a yummy looking static banner for the vegetables section, where visitors can further drill down to eggplant, cabbage, rutabaga or carrots?

Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    * They convey a message beyond "buy this." The other frames may tell about a sale, free or cheap shipping, the product quality, or something else like that.
    Big differentiator. Is the banner flashing just to attract attention (mostly negative) or is it conveying a message. I find the latter much less annoying but I still prefer the choice of animated or not.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcia
    Also, how about some banners that lead to major sections of a site, where visitors can drill down to the specifics as they choose?

Got a section for vegetables? How about a yummy looking static banner for the vegetables section, where visitors can further drill down to eggplant, cabbage, rutabaga or carrots?
    You can create a custom link to any page you want. Then replace the html URL in your banner code with that URL.

I agree with the sentiment that non-animated banners should be provided in addition to animated. Wouldn't be too hard - just use one of the images from the animated banner.

If the animation provides additional valuable information or selling points, they can be of great value.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread