ABW Ambassador
    External Hard Drive Suggestions
    Was just going over some old threads and checking out some reviews at Amazon and Newegg and just wanted to get some more suggestions.

What I'm looking for is something very simple, where I can just plug into the front of my Dell thru the USB port. Not something that's going to be sitting on my desk, probably will just use it every now and then so maybe something small/portable that will hold about 250 GB.

Are there any brands you would stay away from, ones you'll never buy again after a bad experience. Brands that you will only buy. Or does it matter nowadays. Thanks.

Here is what we use. By the case say tigerdirect .com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1951866&Sku=M501-1196 which is USB and they you put in your own Harddrive in the case. I use old drives I have around for backups. It takes less then 60 seconds to install a drive in the unit.
    Last edited by kse; May 5th, 2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling

I use the usb one by maxtor. It has been reliable for me - and is fast enough. I haven't installed their proprietary software for the one touch backup though - but I do use the onecare backup with it without a hitch.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Here is what we use. By the case say tigerdirect .com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1951866&Sku=M501-1196 which is USB and they you put in your own Harddrive in the case. I use old drives I have around for backups. It takes less then 60 seconds to install a drive in the unit.
    That looks like an enclosure type of deal. I'm looking for an external one something ala - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...3%2Cn%3A595048

The only hard drive I have is the one in the computer that came with the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    That looks like an enclosure type of deal. I'm looking for an external one something ala - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...3%2Cn%3A595048

The only hard drive I have is the one in the computer that came with the computer.
    Yes I have bought these types as well in the past as well however found it cheaper and more flexible to go with the enclosure. Another big advantage of the enclosure was that I can put in a Notebook hard drive if needed (just had to buy a $5 converter for the drive itself.)

http and a telephoto
    I like the Lacie portable external that I have. Last summer I had more than one Seagate drive fail shortly after purchase, and have had Maxtor and Western Digital drives quit in less than a year.

For desktop externals, I have Lacie and Hitachi's.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I use a Seagate 160 GB FreeAgent when traveling as a quick backup and the WD Elements as the in-office backup. Both are USB and work great so far.

The Seagate is only used occasionally when I travel and doesn't need external power, just 2 USB ports. Plus it's small.

The WD is used every day for backups. It's USB but needs external power. Just turn it on and the drive letter shows in Windows so backups are easy using Norton Ghost and I also use Goodsync for my biz directories.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    Yes I have bought these types as well in the past as well however found it cheaper and more flexible to go with the enclosure. Another big advantage of the enclosure was that I can put in a Notebook hard drive if needed (just had to buy a $5 converter for the drive itself.)
    Had to Google that. I guess when I see enclosure, I think internal but looks like there are external hard drive enclosures too.

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I like the Lacie portable external that I have. Last summer I had more than one Seagate drive fail shortly after purchase, and have had Maxtor and Western Digital drives quit in less than a year.

For desktop externals, I have Lacie and Hitachi's.
    I remember you talking about the Lacie in another thread, said they were made by Porsche or something? And price wise, they seem to be right in line with the others. They have some nice ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    I use a Seagate 160 GB FreeAgent when traveling as a quick backup and the WD Elements as the in-office backup. Both are USB and work great so far.
    The Seagate is only used occasionally when I travel and doesn't need external power, just 2 USB ports. Plus it's small.
    The WD is used every day for backups. It's USB but needs external power. Just turn it on and the drive letter shows in Windows so backups are easy using Norton Ghost and I also use Goodsync for my biz directories.
    Just watched a video on that one from Shawn, think it's the same - http://weviews.tv/2007/09/14/seagate...al-hard-drive/

Yeah something like that, kind of small, portable, usb, simple. Iomegas seem to be getting some good reviews.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Do not get the seagate free agent (I have the 1tb version) or the maxtor one touch I have the (1 tb version)

If for some reason the outer casing dies and you say HEY let me use the internal drive. Good luck it's encrypted and seagate won't even help you.

Just buy your self an exclosure 30 bucks and a hard drive.

I would recommend building your own, too. It gives you the most flexibility and usually a better price.

The cases are cheap and they're simple to do. Just make sure you match up the type of drive (SATA, etc.) with the type that the case supports.

If you use the same type of case/drive that your computer/laptop uses, it's really handy for recovering your data after a computer/laptop failure or hard drive crash.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Outsourced Program Manager DavidG-MV's Avatar
    I guess if you want to build one that would be the way to go...but if you'd rather pay..I recommmend the Seagate. I haven't run into any problems yet
    David Green - [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com]MoreVisibility[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com/seoblog/]Blogs[/URL] - [URL=http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497]Support Forum[/URL] - [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=19856]New SAS Program - 1STOPlighting.com[/URL][/B]

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    I'm still very happy with the Seagate Freeagent - small, light and doesn't require electric.

I also backup to Amazon's S3 storage service via JungleDisk.com.

The more redundant I am with backups, the more comfortable I feel.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread