Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Great Affiliate Marketing Smoke Out
    Hi. My name is Missy and I'm a smoker. (Step 1).

I try to deny the fact that I'm a smoker because I only do it when I'm out of town because G-d forbid my children ever see me do it... I'd just die.

People wonder all the time how I can go for weeks and months on end without smoking but as soon as I go away on business, I totally start social smoking like it's going out of style.

I don't have an answer for that myself other than the fact that a lot of my friends smoke. While I don't blame them for me smoking when I'm with them, I definitely know that it's much harder for me not to do so when I am around them.

Please say that there are other people like me out there.....

In any event, as many of you know, the Seaport Hotel in Boston (which is the official hotel for Affiliate Summit 2008 East) is smoke-free. While part of me really dreads that fact, I also know that it's probably a good place for me to try to kick the habit -- cold turkey.

I can't think of a more challenging environment to do so. For me, I know that I respond best to a good challenge.

That being said, if anyone wants to join me in going smoke-free during Affiliate Summit 2008 East, please let me know. We can be great support for each other and we can make it fun.

I figure if I can make it without smoking during this time, I can easily make it anywhere else.

Anyone else in?

Come on -- don't make me do this alone. I'll be all grumpy and it will get ugly.
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'll be home, smoking and calm. If you need to talk to someone who has nicotine in their system, call me LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Don't you worry lady ---- As Biatchy as I will be if no one does this with me I will be calling you!

I will be tormenting you every night before I go to bed when I know I will really want one!
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com

Outsourced Program Manager DavidG-MV's Avatar
    I'm with you!
    I'm with you Missy. I am doing my best to quit. It's been 2 long hard days so far. But I have no choice. I've been with my girlfriend for 2-1/2 years now and am ready to take it to the next step. All preparations have been taken care of but I know she won't say yes until I quit for good. So you definitely have one dedicated supporter! Say goodbye
    David Green - [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com]MoreVisibility[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com/seoblog/]Blogs[/URL] - [URL=http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497]Support Forum[/URL] - [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=19856]New SAS Program - 1STOPlighting.com[/URL][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by DavidG-MV
    I'm with you Missy. I am doing my best to quit. It's been 2 long hard days so far. But I have no choice. I've been with my girlfriend for 2-1/2 years now and am ready to take it to the next step. All preparations have been taken care of but I know she won't say yes until I quit for good. So you definitely have one dedicated supporter! Say goodbye

Awesome David. PM me your mailing address so I can send you a special pin for you to wear during the Summit.

I'll have lots of lollipops with me if you need one too.

I hope some more folks step up. I know that there are a lot of folks on this board that have expressed that they've wanted to quit many times. Now's as good a time as any!
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidG-MV
    Quitting is great, but your reason is not so great. Please do it for yourself and don't tie it into "because she told me I had too."
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Outsourced Program Manager DavidG-MV's Avatar
    Quitting
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    Quitting is great, but your reason is not so great. Please do it for yourself and don't tie it into "because she told me I had too."
    Loxly, You are right! But a little extra motivation doesn't hurt. I wasn't doing so well at the quitting thing when it was just for me
    David Green - [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com]MoreVisibility[/URL]
    [URL=http://www.morevisibility.com/seoblog/]Blogs[/URL] - [URL=http://forum.abestweb.com/forumdisplay.php?f=497]Support Forum[/URL] - [B][URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=19856]New SAS Program - 1STOPlighting.com[/URL][/B]

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateSummitMissy
    I don't have an answer for that myself other than the fact that a lot of my friends smoke
    Who are your friends? Because allot of your friends DON'T smoke, like me. I am your friend (hope you are mine ) and I don't smoke. So basically you are hanging around with the wrong crowed, the crowed that smokes, so forget them and don't let them in and join the non-smoking crowed.

Missy, quit not only for your health but your kids and family.

Ok, before I get bashed, some of my best friends and loved family members smoke like they need a 24 step program instead, but they need to quit too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge - JRami
    Who are your friends? Because allot of your friends DON'T smoke, like me. I am your friend (hope you are mine ) and I don't smoke. So basically you are hanging around with the wrong crowed, the crowed that smokes, so forget them and don't let them in and join the non-smoking crowed.

Missy, quit not only for your health but your kids and family.

Ok, before I get bashed, some of my best friends and loved family members smoke like they need a 24 step program instead, but they need to quit too.
    Jorge,

You are my friend. That's not a question. But I also have friends that smoke. That doesn't make them bad. That makes them human. And to be quite honest, I wouldn't give any of them up just because they smoke.

I would also never ask them to change to accomodate me and I'm fairly certain, that they wouldn't ask the same of me.

That being said, for the ones that do want to stop smoking, I hope that they can conquer the habit one day, too. I am a notorious loser when it comes to this addiction and I'm hoping that if I have a support system of folks that will help me with my problem, when I need the help the most, that maybe it will be the intervention that just does the trick.

So to all my friends that stand outside with me in the bitter cold in Vegas and in the horrendous heat of the east coast in the Summer, while we all do something horrible for ourselves... I'm not abandoning our quality time together, we're just going to have to pick a new way of "sharing" ;-)

Come on -- you know who you are. Give it a shot with me?
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I can go days and weeks without smoking and I regularly do. I'm more of a social smoker (and drinker), though I'd guess that since most people here that do see me, only see me at social events, they'd think I was more committed to it - they probably think I'm an alcoholic too, but I usually just drink beers with my buddy's band on Thursday nights and don't really drink regularly other than that. When I do go out for beers, I love to smoke though, and the bars and places I go to, are full of others doing the same. Same thing when I go fishing, smoke and have a beer or three. For most people that do smoke, they go nuts after just a few hours. Though smoking is still very bad for my health, if I was a power "user", I'd find ways to moderate that behavior - moderation's a very good idea when it comes to smoking or alcohol. If that's not possible for you for whatever the reason(s) may be, I'd say quitting is much better than not moderating... but then again, I'd be willing to discuss it further with you... over a beer and a few smokes... :-)

Consider Boston a moderation time...

And if you just gotta have a few, and the commies in Mass have got all the hotels and bahs covered, we'll grab a sixah and go dumpstar diving behind the Kentucky Fried Chicken and light 'em up there!!! Might as well snack while we indulge ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    I can go days and weeks without smoking and I regularly do. I'm more of a social smoker (and drinker), though I'd guess that since most people here that do see me, only see me at social events, they'd think I was more committed to it - they probably think I'm an alcoholic too, but I usually just drink beers with my buddy's band on Thursday nights and don't really drink regularly other than that. When I do go out for beers, I love to smoke though, and the bars and places I go to, are full of others doing the same. Same thing when I go fishing, smoke and have a beer or three. For most people that do smoke, they go nuts after just a few hours. Though smoking is still very bad for my health, if I was a power "user", I'd find ways to moderate that behavior - moderation's a very good idea when it comes to smoking or alcohol. If that's not possible for you for whatever the reason(s) may be, I'd say quitting is much better than not moderating... but then again, I'd be willing to discuss it further with you... over a beer and a few smokes... :-)

Consider Boston a moderation time...

And if you just gotta have a few, and the commies in Mass have got all the hotels and bahs covered, we'll grab a sixah and go dumpstar diving behind the Kentucky Fried Chicken and light 'em up there!!! Might as well snack while we indulge ourselves.
    I'll sign up for the midnight dumpster diving, if you sign up for not letting me smoke during it

I'm an all or nothing kind of girl in case you haven't realized that by now ;-)
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    It's about to get fun in here...

There's been some studies lately showing that obesity may be worse for you that smoking. Here are just 2 such studies, I can cite 100's of them.
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...fb616e17d948ab
    http://www.nature.com/ki/journal/v62.../4493184a.html

Understanding the way they report statistics, like OR and RR and such:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epidemiology

Jorge, could you tell us how you feel about your pudgy friends who are obese?

And if anyone runs into Jorge and sees him eating fried foods or sees he looks like he's a tad bit chubby around the waist... remember his line...
    "So basically you are hanging around with the wrong crowed, the crowed that smokes, so forget them and don't let them in and join the non-smoking crowed."

Note: I'm fatter than Jorge (and I smoke). :-)

Talking
    Ok, before I get bashed,
    There is always tomorrow for that!

I can't think of a more challenging environment to do so. For me, I know that I respond best to a good challenge.
    While I can agree that it could be a good opportunity to quit smoking cold turkey during the Summit week, I also have to doubt the possibility of that happenings.

Not because there may not be a will to indeed do it, and a real desire to at least give it up during the few days of the Summit, but because of all of the extracurricular activity going on during those evening party's, on where many of those trying to quit smoking would be drinking and having fun.

But anyway, good luck to everyone that would be able to stop smoking, during the entire Summit, at least.

While I too would like to quit, right now I am not ready to do so, and much less under any pressure, so I may be doing someting similar to what Rexanne says she'll be doing.

But who knows? Between now and then many things can happens, and maybe by then, I might have quitted on my own, and without listening to the same broken record everyday from [].

Donuts for President.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

OK, Missy...I hope we can still be friends. I don't smoke.

BUT I USED TO SMOKE! By the time Summit gets here I will have been off the nicotine habit for 8 years. I QUIT COLD TURKEY AND IT WAS NOT EASY. But once I made up my mind to not let the nicotine rule me, I was able to do it. I am afraid to try any "social" smoking at all - because nicotine is an addiction - and I had it (or it had me) for 25 years.

I have never played "holier than thou" about smoking and/or not smoking. I have never prodded, cajoled, or tried to shame anyone into not smoking; and I don't intend to start now. To smoke or not to smoke should be your personal choice.

Strangely, it does not bother me to be around smokers. The smoke does not affect me and I no longer get "the urge."

So, here's the deal: I will be in Boston and I can be a good listener. I can be a shoulder to lean on. If someone tries to quit for the dates of the summit and needs someone to talk with, I can be available. If Missy gets this organized I will share my cell number with anyone who may need to talk to someone - about NOT lighting up.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

You smokers are all a weak-willed bunch, aren't you?

All it takes is a little will power, right? Take me for example. I'm approximately 90-100 pounds overweight. All it takes is a simple exercise of my will power and I can quit the overeating and lose all that damaging, dangerous weight.

See? Just will power. Just common old will power ... now excuse me. All this talk about food has me hankering for a fudgesicle. Hmmm ... Ah ... There.
    Generate more fake news.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Jorge, could you tell us how you feel about your pudgy friends who are obese? Note: I'm fatter than Jorge (and I smoke). :-)
    Who are YOUR friends? Because basically you are hanging around with the wrong crowed too, the crowed that is fat and smokes, so forget them and don't let them in and join the non-smoking but fat, crowed.

Where the line for the angry, gun toting, chain smoking, meat eating people? I want to be in that one.

(With all apologies to Denis Leary)

But best of luck Missy. If I'm there, i won't smoke anywhere near you. By law, apparently.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

CPA Network Rep Dina - MarketLeverage Blogger's Avatar
    Missy,

You can do it!

I am not a smoker... never have even tried it!

If you stop smoking for 90 days at MarketLeverage, the owner of the company will give you $500. If you start again soon after the 90 days you have to pay it back!

It is a huge incentive for people to quit. So far I have seen 2 people do it!

~Debby
    [B][SIZE=3][COLOR=Blue]Dina Riccobono[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
    [COLOR=Blue]MarketLeverage Marketing Manager
    Twitter: MarketLeverage / MLDina[/COLOR]

Cool
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy

All it takes is a little will power, right? Take me for example. I'm approximately 90-100 pounds overweight. All it takes is a simple exercise of my will power and I can quit the overeating and lose all that damaging, dangerous weight.

See? Just will power. Just common old will power ... now excuse me. All this talk about food has me hankering for a fudgesicle. Hmmm ... Ah ... There.
    PIG

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Maybe a little extra incentive?

How about everyone chip in a little $$ and if anyone catches Missy smoking at ASE08 they get $x. If no one catches her, meaning she made it the whole summit without smoking, all the money is donated to AffiliatesGiveBack?

Could we paypal you the money Missy?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01

How about everyone chip in a little $$ and if anyone catches Missy smoking at ASE08 they get $x. If no one catches her, meaning she made it the whole summit without smoking, all the money is donated to AffiliatesGiveBack?

I'm more than happy to do it. Heck, that's even more incentive for me not to smoke during the Summit!

In fact, whatever is raised this way, I will match dollar for dollar!
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateSummitMissy
    I'm more than happy to do it. Heck, that's even more incentive for me not to smoke during the Summit!

In fact, whatever is raised this way, I will match dollar for dollar!
    Missy, you are caring, generous and dedicated to doing good things. Your offer of accepting knight01's challenge is so good in more than one way. I'll kick it off with a pledge of $50. If you set up a fund that can be paid with PayPal I'll push it on over. Otherwise I can mail a check (to wherever).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy

Uh, I hope you all understood this was just my lame attempt at some tongue-in-cheek humor?

I absolutely would NEVER imply anything judgmental or harsh toward people trying to quit smoking -- or trying to get out of the overeating trap I find myself in.

We're all in the addition battles together, I think.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by knight01

That could work!

BUT>>>>>>>>>>>

I did something similar with a relative of mine, about (+ or - a few years.) 20 years ago!

This was the deal, the bet, and ... why I still think the way I still think today.

We both made a bet for $100.00 dollars to see who was able to stop smoking for the longest time, so the first one to light up a for any reason what so ever, it was supose to pay the other one $100.00 in cash on the spot, once outed by any family member, friend, or just be been caught by anyone anywhere.

And even tho this was supposed to be a bet on the honor system, because I can only go by what those relatives living on that relative house told me, and my relative can only go by what those living on my house told that relative, I still have not paid that relative those $100.00 yet!

Why?

Well... there was a little escape clause that I had attached to that bet... because I was the day I made that bet...

I am not going to derail this thread with those details!

But, if more than 10 people really want to know about my little escape clause that I had attached to that bet, I may consider opening a new thread about it. (About that other smoking bet, issue.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast