While browsing my logs I noticed that some bozo is using my images in dozens of his Ebay auctions. These images are from one of my ecom stores, not an affiliate site.

I have sent him fair warning a minute ago, and also let him know what I would do if he did not comply.

Let me know how you would handle this, and then I will tell you what I told him I would do, if he did not comply.

hint: nothing like a little free advertising on ebay!

Burke

ABW Ambassador
    I had a guy doing the same thing with hotlinking images from my site. I reported him to ebay and I blocked him.
    Cazzie

Join the Fight! Parasite Free In 2003!

We regularly have people link to our images from message boards. An e-mail usually solves the problem.

Otherwise, I think the ol' bait & switch is a clever option.

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here

ABW Ambassador
    I simply replace the image on my site and then open up photoshop and draw something obscene or demeaning on the original. Not the professional way to go about it but boy does it make me feel better!!!

Be aware that the google cache will have your original image in it for a while so don't do something that would look bad in your listing.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

Cazzie-
    How did you block him?

Burke

ABW Ambassador
    Well I use Thmedia and they have a section that has hotlinking protection. So it was easy to do.
    Not sure what you would do if you don't have that option.
    Cazzie

Join the Fight! Parasite Free In 2003!

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> How did you block him?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is done with the .htaccess file (Does not work on MS based systems)

Find out what IP address the requests are coming in on from your log files. This will be an Ebay IP as he is linking from there.

edit your .htaccess file and add the following:

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Options +FollowSymlinks
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} "^63\.148\.99\.216$" [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REMOTE_ADDR} "^63\.148\.99\.216$" [OR]
    RewriteRule .* - [F,L] </pre>

Replace the ip addresses with the corrct ones... add as many as you want. The backslash is to escape the period. Look up php.net for lots of ways to include IP ranges and wildcards.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

If you make mistakes delete the .htaccess file and back it up if you are already using it so you can replace it in case of error.

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

ABW Ambassador
    I have a message baord - harry potter

and my members are constantly using other sites pictures as their sigs and avatars!! it is really annoying as being a webmaster myself, i know what its like.

They are all quite young, and obvioulsy do not realise they are doing wrong. What do you suggest i do with them all???

I now have over 900 members so its hard to keep track of them all, and they change them all weekly!!

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Replace the image with a text message like: "FOOL- why not just Shop EcomCity.com"

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

The simplest solution, particularly if these are images of products you sell, is to use an image editor (photoshop, or similar) to add text over the bottom of the picture that says something like:
    "Best prices on collectors watches at mywatch.com"

This way every stolen image becomes an ad for your site.

L4

Everywhere you go, leave someone or something better than you found it.

L4,
    Do you know of anyway to do this in mass? I have 1000's of images and it would be great to put a little something on the bottom of them.

John

Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.

www.teampb.com

John,

I recall seeing a few programs that did just this - typically called something like "Logo-izer" or something. I don't recall any of them being free, but they're probably in the low-priced freeware arena.

I'll look on some of the sites like Download.com, davecentral, or tucows to see what shows up. It'll have to wait until tonight - can't really do that kind of research from the office...

Oh, by the way, what does the "PB" in TeamPB stand for?
    I think "Team Peanut Butter" would look great on some little league team shirts!

L4

ABW Ambassador
    Cant you just build a semi transparent logo and build an action in photoshop, offset the logo from the right and bottom border and batch this new action on your image directory?

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    This is done with the .htaccess file (Does not work on MS based systems)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If your server is MS-based, you can block a referrer using a global.asa file. I'm not experienced enough to offer code but a dotnet guru should be able to help you.

Wayne

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Look4:
    John,

I recall seeing a few programs that did just this - typically called something like "Logo-izer" or something. I don't recall any of them being free, but they're probably in the low-priced freeware arena.

I'll look on some of the sites like Download.com, davecentral, or tucows to see what shows up. It'll have to wait until tonight - can't really do that kind of research from the office...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DPG's suggestion for doing a batch in Photoshop is probably the cheapest way if you have photoshop - although don't ask me how to do it - never gotten into photoshop that deeply...

I did find a few programs that will do the batch updates though. All are shareware of some sort. I can't vouch for any of them, but here's what I found.

Modjex Brander 1.0 - Registration $10.00 - http://www.modjex.com/brander.html

Watermarker - Registration $30 t0 $50 - http://www.watermarker.com/

Photomarker - Registration $28 - http://www.wekasoft.com/photomark/index.htm

Magicseries - Registration $20 to $40 - http://www.magicseries.de/magicimagemarker.html

ReaWatermark - Registration $25 to $50 - http://www.reasoft.com/products/reawatermark/

Hopefully one of these tools can help you turn those lemons into lemonade!

L4

Well the problem is solved! Thanks for all your responses. Here is what I did:

I never heard from the guy after I sent the warning e-mail. So I did exactly what has been recommended, I put my URL at the bottom of the images. I used a script that allowed me to put text I at the bottom.

So I put "Buy NOW @ XXXX.com!"

The next thing I know I get an e-mail from this guy and he is irrate. He acted like somehow I had hacked into his auctions and switched the images. Unbelievable!!!!!

I simply wrote back - "I warned you....may you should ask Ebay how this could happen, I am sure they can help you."

What fun this business is!

Burke

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    What a great ending! I love it when the bad guys take one on the chin.

A page a day keeps the creditors away.....

That guy at eBay sounds like an idiot!

I love it when a story has a happy ending!

I hope he does contact eBay about the images being changed. Won't he be in for a surprise when they notify him that he's violating their TOS by hotlinking!

What an idiot!

Andy

ABW Ambassador

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR><snip> I used a script that allowed me to put text I at the bottom.
    <snip>
    Burke<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Burke,

Can you tell us what script you used a photoshop script or something else? Sounds like there is interest in doing the same by a few other members here.

L4

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread