Angry Leaving Linkshare
    After 4 years I'm sad to say that I'm making the decision to leave Linkshare. 3 weeks ago I had to replace my computer after spyware and viruses destroyed my hard drive. I installed state of the art spyware, antivirus and security software and set my internet security to the sugested Medium high.

You can only login to Linkshare by switching security to medium or even medium low as well as tinkering with other settings. This is the only newtwork that I know of that requires this and I have no issues logging into any other affiliate network.

This is terrible in this day and age of internet security threats and affiliate hijacking.

You'd think that a change to Linkshare's new beta affiliate portal would have brought some much needed changes to it's outdated and warped login requirements.

I have to drop this network and some of my relationships due to this. I will not compromise my internet security for anyone or any network.

I did contact Linkshare support and they are not willing to change their login requirements.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm set to Medium-high and don't have any problems logging in.

Actually I don't even have a medium low. I just have:

medium
    medium high
    high

When i try to login and can't it tells me that my settings may be set too high.

I can't log in to Linkshare period. Ever. Just tried today, curiously, after 2 years of not bothering.

You can have those merchants, Trust.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

What forced me to levae is that this day in age of affiliate marketing, networks shouldn't be looking at forcing affiliates to reduce their security. It definitely doesn't build trust.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bibby
    What forced me to levae is that this day in age of affiliate marketing, networks shouldn't be looking at forcing affiliates to reduce their security. It definitely doesn't build trust.
    This is why I would never offer an affiliate program through linkshare or CJ. I understand that they all profess to be "the place to go" for merchants. I suspect they are actually "the place to go" for loss of earned sales. Sorry for my voiced skepticism here. I'm normally a very positive person, but we all know what they are up to - and though SaS may be a smaller network, the same "big hitters" who frequent Ls AND CJ browse SaS for programs. I'll take the ethics at SaS every time.

Just my 13 cents worth!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Hamilton
    This is why I would never offer an affiliate program through linkshare or CJ. I understand that they all profess to be "the place to go" for merchants. I suspect they are actually "the place to go" for loss of earned sales. Sorry for my voiced skepticism here. I'm normally a very positive person, but we all know what they are up to - and though SaS may be a smaller network, the same "big hitters" who frequent Ls AND CJ browse SaS for programs. I'll take the ethics at SaS every time.

Just my 13 cents worth!
    This year I started incorporating more SAS merchants. It really is a great network and you're right that they do have good ethics.

I have been slowly getting rid of my LS merchants too. I have dwindled to down a handful. I just axed one merchant this week for not wanting to extend my cookie and got repeated lost commission due to that.

I think it's funny that when you delete a merchant off your list, they list you as "declined" to add insult to injury. Just shows you how much respect they give you. Seems they don't bother finding better synonyms like "discontinued", "terminated", etc.

I too, have been concentrating primarily on SAS first, and if I can't it there, I go broaden to other networks.

ABW Ambassador
    "You can have those merchants, Trust."

Thanks. Of course in the responses didn't see one actually addressing what they're talking about. Is anybody else seeing the same security message when trying to login.

And on a side note, if you haven't logged in for 2 years or have plans to leave a network all together, probably weren't making any money in the first place, so not a big deal.

"I suspect they are actually "the place to go" for loss of earned sales."

There might be some affiliate managers here who run clean programs on those networks that might disagree. And then I've heard some affiliate managers say things like TM poaching or violating other rules is actually a bigger problem than BHO's and that can happen anywhere. It really depends more on the affiliate manager as far as that goes. And yes it can be harder on other networks since they let some bad players in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by bibby
    Use Firefox... Why anyone would use IE these days is beyond me. But ok, continue to be lazy about internet security.

Just install Windows Defender, and use Firefox, and you'll be fine.

ABW Ambassador
    I've got a pretty good security system (using ie and windows xp) and can still log into LS without any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    I'm set to Medium-high and don't have any problems logging in.
    Same here. I usually do use Firefox instead of IE, but IE7 works for me.

Could try adding the domain linkshare uses to the Trusted sites section of the security options, see if that helps.

ABW Ambassador
    Yeah, if they're the only one seeing this problem or just a few, has to be more on their end and there should be something they can do to fix it. It's why I was wondering how many other people are seeing the same thing. If it's a little fix here and there and I know it can be annoying, I think it still would be easier than pulling all your links, especially if you're making some money.

I don't know if it would help if you (bibby) listed exactly what browser/system you're using and what programs you have going. Maybe someone else had the same problem.
    Like I mentioned above, my systems lowest setting is medium, then medium high, then high. I don't know if that's because it's Vista or IE 7 and they just moved up the lowest setting from past systems, why you could have a medium low that I don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua
    Use Firefox... Why anyone would use IE these days is beyond me. But ok, continue to be lazy about internet security.

Just install Windows Defender, and use Firefox, and you'll be fine.
    Thanks. This actually worked for me and I was able to log into Lnkshare.

I haven't been an affiliate in 2 years Trust

But anyways, I'm set up exactly as Joshua describes, and no love. And truthfully, from what I've read about Synergy, etc, I don't see why I would rush out to try to fix this problem in order to log in there.

Nothing against Linkshare, just don't see why I can log into every other network, and probably the Defense Department, and not meet LS's criteria. maybe they can stop sexying up their interface, and get more involved in some serious industry issues. (As can the other networks).
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    No problem logging in here.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Something tells me that if Bibby actually made some money with Linkshare merchants, he would probably find a way to log in..

Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    Something tells me that if Bibby actually made some money with Linkshare merchants, he would probably find a way to log in..
    If you read my last post you would have seen that I replied to Joshua telling him that I logged in with Firefox.

Isn't the point of this forum to post and have other members give their perspective, like Jopshua did? That's how I found out how to log into LS.

I guess you never read my original pst where I mentioned I contacted LS on a number of occasions and they didn't even mention to try Firefox.

There's no reason to criritcize me or make the claim that I'm not earning money with LS. I've been an affiliate for over 4 years with them and have stood my them during some trying times with their network while others left, so your totally off base and your claim is ridiculous.

I love sending business to LinkShare! Where can you get these results anywhere else?

How to make $1.50 with LinkShare!

Quote Originally Posted by IOWNIE
    I love sending business to LinkShare! Where can you get these results anywhere else?

Respectfully,

John

----------------------------------------------
    work = Initiate Demand
    passion = Global Ground Work

Smile

That was hilarious.

Funny but sad also. This can't be typical or there would be no affiliates using LinkShare. I would be going nuts trying to find out what the reason is.

By the way the video in your link is great, and your pics too. Looks like real nice family.

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread