ABW Ambassador
    Hello,

I have a content site, with the site sort of split 50-50 between sales area and content area (although even the sales area is very heavy in the content with reviews and such). The site is in excess of 2500 pages in size.

Most of my content pages do a fairly decent job of "steering" people into the sales area.

However, there is one page - my Web Cam page - that I really have no idea how to make money with it. Oddly, this page is the most popular page on my site right now - having twice as many page views in a day as my home page does. This page recieves a ton of direct referral traffic due to bookmarks as well as non-reciprocal links with other sites that point to this page.

Since people hit this page looking for links to various Web Cams (thus not looking for content, but looking for links to other sites), I've struggled to find stuff to catch people's attention on this page. I don't use banners on my site, so using a flash banner really isn't an option.

I'm using AdSense, but have no idea how many sales actually come from this page, if any, due to the way Adsense reporting is. I also promote state specific calendars and some scenic art prints that might catch peoples attention.

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas. It would be nice to somehow make even just a "little bit" from this page.

Thanks.

Jim

Isn't AdSense great?

If you have a page that is getting traffic you can slap AdSense on it and start earning something straight away, while you figure out how to make better use of the traffic.

ABW Ambassador
    AdSense is indeed great. I just wish they had better reporting, so I would know what pages are generating the clicks and what pages are not.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    AdSense is indeed great. I just wish they had better reporting, so I would know what pages are generating the clicks and what pages are not.

Jim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, i would like to see also what pages are generating clicks and how much its worth.
    Lets hope it will be available in future.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Ditto about AdSense.

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

Anyone tried Datecam? I usually avoid matchmaking programs, but it seems like they'd go great on a webcam page like this one.

A product related to whatever it is your web cam is showing? Information on how to set up your own web cam as well as web cam product reviews.

ABW Ambassador
    The web cam is "state related", for lack of a better word. It shows places in the state - such as national parks, ski areas, weather cams, etc...

Thus, there isn't any real "product" to show that I've been able to come up with. The closest thing I hit upon (tonight, after giving some thought too it after starting this thread) was to promote some "state related" material.

Any other suggestions?

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jimh009:
    The web cam is "state related", for lack of a better word. It shows places in the state - such as national parks, ski areas, weather cams, etc...
    Jim<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe travel related stuff (for those who want to visit the national parks), or when you’re showing the ski areas promoting skis and accessories.

Jason
    “I get on my knees and pray, we don’t get fooled again!” – Who said that? I said that!

Backcountrystore stuff would go great with your web cam.

Different places in the state, a traveling web cam? How do you do this?

Jane: I think Jim's site has web cams from public / State web cams. Like the ministry of highways, park boards etc... Am I right Jim?

Hey Jim,

Since this page is getting decent traffic, don't forget to put up a "Sign Up" form and ask for name & email addresses. I am sure you will be able to think of something that you can offer these users who are looking for web cam images of State areas. If nothing but to give them an update when there has been an add on to your web cam list. 2ndary marketing can be powerful when the list is targeted and the offer is good. Keep them coming back for more! Just be clear in what benefits they would recieve in your signup form.

Not much help as far as specific ideas but I believe an opt-in list is a great addition to any online marketing campagin.

Hope this helps to trigger some ideas!

Ian Lee, M.Sc.

Internet Marketing Strategist / Affiliate Manager
    EYI, Inc.
    ilee_NO_SPAM@eyi.us
    http://www.eyiproducts.com
    604-596-9766

Personal Sites: ADS-Links.com | HealthCastle.com

Jim;
    You said that you feature some scenic art prints. If they are not from Allposters.com, you should check out their posters and set up an Allposter store. They have a huge selection and pay well.
    Ken

ABW Ambassador
    I'd suggest three things to promote:

#1) Camcorders - If you put in a section on "How to chat visually online with your camcorder" and "How to get your own bedroom antics displayed on the internet with your camcorder", it'll be a huge hit

2) Digital cameras - Add a section on how to use digital cameras and explain the benefits.

and finally..

3) Get your own Web Domain Name... to sell the Name registration and then tack on a recommending a host.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I didn't even think of adding in a signup form for my newsletter to this page. That is a good idea. Stupid me for leaving it off the page!

Domain Names : Have my own domain name and attempted to promote that on this page the last 2 months or so. So far, nothing. So removed it last night.

Digital Photography : Have also tried that from time to time on this page. There always has been a link to my digi cam section, but cameras themselves are occasionally promoted - sharing space with other items as they are rotated around.

Art Prints : Allposters is used for the art merchant, along with Art Select. Gave up on Art.Com a while ago - now just need to get rid of the one page I still have for them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Jane: I think Jim's site has web cams from public / State web cams. Like the ministry of highways, park boards etc... Am I right Jim? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, that's right.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Backcountrystore stuff would go great with your web cam. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, never even thought of displaying their stuff on this page. Duh! Especially with winter coming, it would be ideal - since this is about the only page I can really promote their winter stuff on (my site is more a "warm weather" type site).

To take some of the mystery away from the page itself, you can see it here.

http://www.bigskyfishing.com/Web-Cams/Web-Cams.htm

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Maybe travel related stuff (for those who want to visit the national parks), or when you’re showing the ski areas promoting skis and accessories. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is on the "hit list". Re-working right now my section dealing with Travel. Once done, this web cam page will become part of the whole travel section. Joined TravelNow for exactly this reason. Now, just need for the forest fires to go away so I can get some pictures to finish off this travel section!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Keep 'em coming.

Jim

Affiliate Manager
    a send a postcard type script of nice area photos that includes a marketing message for your site may fit in as well.

Jessica Hutson
    Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network
    http://affiliate.travelnow.com/affiliates/home.jsp

I would see what google displays there and find similar affiliate programs, or the same type stuff they're selling.

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Webcams bring out the voyers. So place some X-10 camera specials there and list a variety of applications where a webcam might be beneficial for drawing walkin traffic to a store or bar.

Acquarium stores -local Tiki Bars or night clubs -Frat & Soriety houses -Charlies cage etc etc.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Others have mentioned webcam equip. and posters/artwork & those made me think of regular photo equip. I'm sure anyone vacationing there will want to take their own pictures... I know when I travel, even if it's 1/2 hr away, I'll bring at least 2 cameras (1 digital, 1 35mm SLR), not counting the one I keep in my car

CarSites.us - Free promotion for your automotive-related sites!

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    I'm with with Joey here, DateCam is a sure thing...okay maybe not a sure thing, but it's got web cams in it too, you can see the relation there yes, yes.... yes . Think they have a forum here too

Cheers

Chris

I visited the webcam page, clicked on a few links but instead of seeing beautiful views I got black squares. Presumably I'm lacking a piece of software. I looked for information on your pages for what I needed in order to view the images but couldn't find any info. Maybe other folks are visiting, have the same experience and promptly leave disappointed.

"Can I sell the sh*t and will the merchant pay?" ~ Leader

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    I just have to tell you that everytime I read the subject line of the post I have visions of you trying to make money with a webcam being fed into a webpage for people to view!

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread