Square Trade FB Dispute Resolution...POOF!
    I received an email notice today that Monday, May 12 will be the LAST day you can file a feedback withdrawal dispute with SquareTrade.
    The notice linked to this eBay announcement board posting.

Highlights of eBay's new FB policy...

Members can leave Feedback up to 60 days after a transaction (down from 90)
    Members will receive credit for weekly repeat Feedback (going back to 1996) (comment: many of us will see a boost in feedback numbers)

In January we mentioned that we'd block buyers from leaving negative or neutral Feedback for 3 days for sellers "with a track record." Since January, we've made the decision to increase the wait period to 7 days and define "track record" as active PowerSellers who have been on eBay for at least 12 months.

We mentioned that we'd be aligning the Mutual Feedback Withdrawal process with the new system. After much consideration, we've made the decision to remove the Mutual Feedback Withdrawal process. The reason is that under the new rules - it opens sellers up to extortion. As part of this decision, Mutual Agreement from third-party Feedback mediation services, such as SquareTrade, will also no longer be accepted.

X

I am failing to understand a lot of things about these changes.

From the AB post:

We mentioned that we'd be aligning the Mutual Feedback Withdrawal process with the new system. After much consideration, we've made the decision to remove the Mutual Feedback Withdrawal process. The reason is that under the new rules - it opens sellers up to extortion. As part of this decision, Mutual Agreement from third-party Feedback mediation services, such as SquareTrade, will also no longer be accepted.

?????

It seems to me that under the new rules sellers are 100% open to extortion. Unless I am missing something, it seems to me that removing their only shot at getting an unfair neg removed does nothing to negate that, it only makes the situation even worse.

I guess it will be kind of a non-issue though, since sellers won't be allowed to leave negs anyway. But it would really be nice if they would allow some mechanism for removal of negative feedback left in error- where the buyer left FB for the wrong seller or whatever.

Yeah, that posting doesn't make sense. Sellers are 100% at the mercy of sellers after the new policy takes effect anyway.
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

This is how I understand it. Because e is taking away the seller's ability to leave other than positive feedback (and therefore any leverage that can be used on the buyer), we are now more vulnerable to extortion. The buyer can leave us a neg to force us to do what they want, saying that if we relent they'll agree to remove the neg. So, e in it's infinite wisdom has decided they'll take away the mutual agreement clause so the buyer can no longer leverage us with the promise of neg removal.

With this change I'm inclined to stop leaving FB at all.

X

The only one who makes money for Ebay are Power Sellers. Ebay is gearing towards the Power Seller. Once Ebay hit the exchange it all went down hill from the get go. I will miss Meg. She really cared about us weekend warrior sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by cliffmaster
    The only one who makes money for Ebay are Power Sellers. Ebay is gearing towards the Power Seller.
    For what it's worth, this is how the average John Q. Public person generally feels about eBay these days, from what I can tell (it's certainly how I feel about it). To me, if all you want to do is sell an item out of your attic or garage, you can look forward to getting buried in the listings by the people drop shipping ten thousand similar items at a time from a wholesaler. Accurate or not, that's my perception, and a lot of people I talk to agree
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Well, it depends on your niche. If you're selling electronics, toys, household items, CDs, DVDs, computers and peripherals, supplies of any type, shoes, or clothes, etc., i.e., "consumer goods", then yes, the little guy is being phased out.

I deal primarily in vintage collectibles, where there are no mass retailers per se. Sure, some dealers are larger than others, but the landscape is large enough and varied enough that the vast majority of sellers are still "weekend warriors", and I don't see that changing unless eBay gets rid of those categories entirely (which would be amazingly dain bramaged on their part). The type of merchandise simply does not lend itself to an influx of items from Wal-Mart, Buy.com, or any other retailer.

The only downside is that those of us who sell in categories where we're not competing against retail enterprises still get lambasted with the idiotic policies that eBay is foisting upon the masses in order to force mom and pop out elsewhere...
    EPN - Cautiously, but paranoically, optimistic.

Totally agreed - my beef is, for example, a while back I found a stack of CD's in a closet and I wanted to get rid of them... back around 2001/2002, I wouldn't have hesitated to put them on eBay because I knew that I could get a couple of bucks for them and they'd probably sell the first time around, maybe the second. Now, I either have to take them to a local second-hand shop and maybe get 50 cents each or throw them in the trash (or put them back in the closet, which I ultimately did).

Check the list of categories you said were dominated by the power sellers... that's a hell of a lot of stuff.

Anyway, I really didn't mean to derail this thread... sorry about that. The topic was Square Trade?
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I think ebay is underestimating the importance of the "small" seller. When I shop on ebay, I'm really only interested in things that can't be easily purchased at retail- stuff like PolkSDA's vintage collectibles and Hectic's stacks of used Cds. If I wanted to buy stuff at buy.com or shopping.com I fully well know where to find them. If that's what I wanted I'd be at those sites in the first place. I am getting more and more annoyed at ebay with every passing day for making it harder to find the stuff I really want to buy.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread