ABW Ambassador
    Travelocity's SEM Policy
    Travelocity sent the following today to all of their affiliates:
    Travelocity has made some updates to their search policy as of May 15th that we would like you to be aware of.

Below is the full guidelines and description, with additions underlined.

NEW SEM Publisher Requirement: All publishers must negative match “Travelocity” for their paid search campaigns.

Trademark Bidding: Bidding on the “Travelocity” or “Travelocity.com” trademark and any variation or misspelling thereof is prohibited without written authorization from the Travelocity Affiliate Team.

Direct Linking: Publishers may not direct link to Travelocity.com in any paid or natural search listings. All traffic generated from paid or sponsored listings must first be directed to a landing page where the user then initiates a click through to Travelocity.com via an affiliate link.

Ad Copy: On generic, non-trademark, keywords publishers cannot use the term “Travelocity.com” in their ad copy (title or description).

Display URL: Using “www.travelocity.com” as the display URL in any paid or sponsored listing is strictly prohibited.

Violations of Search Policy: Any publisher found to be in violation of these terms, will be subject to immediate removal from the Travelocity.com Affiliate Program and is subject to having any unpaid commissions reversed.
    Under Direct Linking, what does it mean that publishers may not direct link to Travelocity.com in any natural search listings? That doesn't make sense to me.

ABW Ambassador
    In natural search listings, you would be linking via commission junction, not directly to travelocity.

Who would link directly to travelocity?

ABW Ambassador
    Linking to Travelocity via a CJ link is directly to Travelocity. Non-direct would mean landing on an interim page.

Negative match the term Travelocity (in otherwords, no branded bidding?

Have they forgotten this article from a few years back?: http://www.revenuetoday.com/story/search-tug-of-war

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.revenuetoday.com/story/search-tug-of-war
    Before that merchant began blocking its affiliates, the bulk of those other ads were likely from its affiliates. Searchers who clicked on those affiliate ads (and bought) were still buying from the merchant, even if the merchant had to shell out higher fees than if the searchers had purchased without coming through an affiliate.

But Randy Antin, search marketing manager of Travelocity, notes that when his company restricted its affiliates from bidding on branded keywords, "the spaces in the bidding were soon replaced by our competitors' affiliates." Searchers clicking anything other than Travelocity's single ad might end up buying from a competitor.
    While Randy hasn't been at Travelocity for over a year now, I don't think that the situation has changed in terms of the search arena. There is a real problem among many affiliate programs with policies changing every time a staffing change is made...

freaking lawyers - can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em without getting sued by the corpse.

Snowman, in rare cases I have had links on my site directly indexed by google. They don't look pretty in the SERPs, but they are there. And they get clicks. And obviously, they convert.

Granted, I can't control that, and I don't see how Travelocity would expect you to.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    That's what I thought, Kevin. I've seen that too but since the publisher can't control that, how can an advertiser forbid it?

Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread