About CJ Web Services
    Hi,

Does anyone use CJ Web Services on a regular basis to display product information or coupons on their sites? How reliable is it? Is the data returned updated regularly, or is it stale and outdated?

Here's what I've done so far.

Using Endless.com as an example, I made a call to CJ's productSearchService (version 2) and used "Kenneth +Cole +New +York handbag satchel tote clutch hobo" as the keyword. 30 total products were returned with no problem. With this data, I then proceeded to compare it with products shown on the website. These are the results:

Kenneth Cole New York
    • Website - 29 total items returned
    • CJ Web service - 30 total items returned

One more item was returned via CJ web service. That's not a biggie. Next I began comparing prices for each item. Lo and behold, they matched almost perfectly, so this tells me that the data CJ outputs is up-to-date. The only discrepancy I found was that the website showed some prices as being sale prices whereas CJ web service didn't indicate them - it returned all prices as regular prices.

Other than that, I'd say CJ is returning good data. I only wish that they could get the pricing thing fixed so that affiliates can display this data properly. Who wouldn't want to see the sale price vs. the retail price. That can influence a purchase.
    Last edited by Dude-Dastic; May 8th, 2008 at 06:24 AM. Reason: grammar

Does anyone use CJ Web Services on a regular basis to display product information or coupons on their sites?
    It's just about all I use for CJ, but I don't use it on a product basis. My setup takes it by Promo Type.

The data is reliable enough, but it gets frustrating that advertisers don't fully support it. They sometimes leave links that have expired over 12 months ago. Often they stick the expire date in with the description and leave the expire date field blank, and you see characters in the description that need to be cleaned out.

In short if it would be supported it would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    The data is reliable enough, but it gets frustrating that advertisers don't fully support it. They sometimes leave links that have expired over 12 months ago. Often they stick the expire date in with the description and leave the expire date field blank, and you see characters in the description that need to be cleaned out.
    Expired links? Over a year old? No expiration date specified? Sheesh, none of that sounds promising. Maybe it's best to stay away from using their web service to acquire promotional links and use various coupon sites instead.

As for locating products, their web service seems to be straight.

Just finished testing CJ's LinkSearchService using only those programs that I've joined. Results were unimpressive as they contained many expired links, some dating back three years (ouch).

Obtaining links via this service was never my intention. This test proves why affiliates should stay away from it. As for the ProductSearchService, that's seems to be working correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude-Dastic
    Maybe it's best to stay away from using their web service to acquire promotional links and use various coupon sites instead.
    So you just copy from coupon sites to get your coupons?

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Maybe it's best to stay away from using their web service to acquire promotional links and use various coupon sites instead.
    What do you mean use various coupon sites instead?

Why don't you request the CJ Promo Links Datafeed and process/parse the hell out of it to get what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    So you just copy from coupon sites to get your coupons?
    Not exactly. I was thinking of subscribing to their rss feeds and parsing them.

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    Why don't you request the CJ Promo Links Datafeed and process/parse the hell out of it to get what you need.
    CJ Promo Links Datafeed? Never heard of it. Does it cost $200 like the product datafeed?

So you are stealing them then. Get your own.

http and a telephoto
    If you aren't getting your coupons direct from the merchant you are violating the TOS for many affiliate programs, including Viator which I manage. MANY merchants limit coupons to specific sites or don't allow coupons not specifically posted for affiliate use to be posted on affiliate sites. So you could be getting yourself into a LOT of hot water if you parse RSS feeds from *other* coupon sites.

CJ Promo Links Datafeed? Never heard of it. Does it cost $200 like the product datafeed?
    Probably.

It sounds to me like you need to do some more research before you get into the coupon world. It isn't as easy as it sounds.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

The saddest part of this is that this poster either doesn't know enough about honest business practices to realize that this is wrong or knows and just doesn't care. But how could anyone not know that stealing the work of others is WRONG?

And he's arrogant enough to post his intentions on an open forum like he's proud of not having any ethics.

The bar is waaay too low.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by flamingoworld
    So you are stealing them then. Get your own.
    Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    f you aren't getting your coupons direct from the merchant you are violating the TOS for many affiliate programs, including Viator which I manage. MANY merchants limit coupons to specific sites or don't allow coupons not specifically posted for affiliate use to be posted on affiliate sites. So you could be getting yourself into a LOT of hot water if you parse RSS feeds from *other* coupon sites.
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    The saddest part of this is that this poster either doesn't know enough about honest business practices to realize that this is wrong or knows and just doesn't care. But how could anyone not know that stealing the work of others is WRONG?

And he's arrogant enough to post his intentions on an open forum like he's proud of not having any ethics.
    I'm a newbie at affiliate marketing and I thought it was OK to use the coupons in rss feeds in my own site. Thanks to flamingoworld and loxly I now know that this is stealing.

My intention is not to make money using shady business practices. If that was the case, I could easily be selling crack cocaine to my neighbors and their children as that would be much easier than staying up late browsing forums for info, learning xhtml/xml/VB.NET/CSS, and trying to contribute to the success of others the best way I know how.

So there you have it. I'm learning as I go. It's honest people like you who help newbies like me get things right, so thank you all for your kind and, sometimes, harsh words (rematt ).

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that I'm still doing some tests with the CJ LinkSearchService. It seems that playing around with the promotionStartDate and promotionEndDate fields filters out any expired links that would otherwise be returned in the results. So I just may be able to get some coupons and other promotional links after all.

http and a telephoto
    Remember also that not all sales and specials are listed in the Promotional feed. As an example, Viator has a landing page that lists all the specials that are offered on tours at any given time. There is a text link for that that would never expire that isn't a coupon or rebate and wouldn't be in the Promo feed.

It pays to look through your merchants links.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread