Do you find this all-consuming?
    Is it just me, or do others find this business all-consuming..??? I'm having a real hard time just "resting on my laurels", as the saying goes.. worked flat out to build/expand a suite of sites, and it's all going really well. It took a while, but I figured out what works for me in this biz.. patience, hard-work, trial & error... have def paid my dues...

But.. I can't seem to stop.. everywhere you look/surf, there's another idea to be found, or you think of how to do something differently...

All in all, I can't complain, I love doing this - from the website tweaking, to the big picture ideas, even failed experiments. You learn something new every day, which can be so rewarding (and equally frustrating!)..

I'm also stats-obsessed, which is more a function of my background than affiliate marketing.. I track everything, at all times.. any dip or bump in traffic/sales is a cause for more research & analysis.

I guess my question of others is... do you find it tough to "disconnect" once in a while..?

I'm planning a trip to UK & rural Scotland, and the first question I asked my pals about the accommodation in Scotland was... "do they have wireless?".. we will be a couple of hours from Loch Ness (one of my silly dream destinations!).. and I can imagine me sitting there checking affiliate stats while Nessie paddles by...

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Yes, time management is critical to focus and success. It's fun stuff for me, so whether I'm focused or drifting any given day, it's still a very good time!

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Yup.

Then after a few months I need a break and I don't do anything for a week...like last week.

Now it's back to the grind for another 7 months until I need a break again.

Quote Originally Posted by teezone
    Is it just me, or do others find this business all-consuming..???
    Yep. I've been into aff marketing for just a few months. Ideas abound! My list of registered domain names is growing exponentially.

X

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    Yes. I don't think it's possible to do AM effectively anymore as a hobby or a part-time job. But that's good news because there are many more opportunities and options now than there used to be.

It's funny, I just got through telling someone that I think the immersion method is the only way to do AM successfully.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I think what you have on your hands here is a job that happens to be your hobby!
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

..a job that happens to be your hobby!
    .. absolutely!

What a great way to earn a living

It's nice to know I'm not the only one facing the same problem (if you can call it that!). After an evening out with friends, the first thing I do when I get home is a quick stats check. Me + blackberry would NOT be a good combo, at least I realize that much!

How did we survive before laptops, wireless internet, blackberries and cellphones?

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Yes, time management is critical to focus and success. It's fun stuff for me, so whether I'm focused or drifting any given day, it's still a very good time!
    Exactly! I certainly agree with Donuts on this one.

It seems like I learn something new or develop a new idea every other day or so - and then I feel like a kid at Christmas.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    It is absolutely all-consuming.

Whatever you do, don't even think about resting on your laurels.

I took almost a year off to work on a book and my Am business suffered big time from lack of attention. Search engines don't like it when we try to do something else with our time.

Acept it - we're all-consumed
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

But guys, it's a lot of fun. How many jobs can one say is yes time consuming but so rewarding?
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Do you find this all-consuming?

Not at all....why I just had a day off....uh...hmmm...I'll get back to you on that one

ABW Ambassador
    It is FUN and It's a J*B

Mr. Mackin

I take short breaks, but I love working too. I love coming up with new ideas and marketing them.

It's easy to get lost in, for sure. It is 2AM in the morning, when normal people are probably asleep. (but who wants to be normal anyway?)

Aside from the fact that it's mostly fun, I justify it by the fact that one day, I can sit back and have several different incomes streams all running on automatic and all I'll have to do is cash the checks (after I verify stats hourly/daily, make sure there are no new ideas I'm missing out on, read all the latest SEO optimization threads, tweak my PPC ads, and of course, check ABW to find out what else I don't know )

I am pretty strong developer and my problem is that I don't want to do something 1/2 way. I am not the kind of guy that can download a datafeed into XLS, manipulate it a little bit, turn it into a website and start promoting. Oh heck no. That is going into a database and I am going to write some PHP classes, stored procedures, and other stuff to manage that data like an enterprise application. So I end up getting obsessed making sure my data is perfect. Sometimes too perfect. But in the long run I know it will pay off.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

all-consuming..???
    Yes

.. do you find it tough to "disconnect" once in a while..?
    Yes. My hubby is about to kill me

Ideas abound! My list of registered domain names is growing exponentially.
    Yes. I am checking tlds everyhour because I have so many ideas but not enough time!

After an evening out with friends, the first thing I do when I get home is a quick stats check
    Moi aussi. pathetic I know.

It is 2AM in the morning, when normal people are probably asleep
    Yup, that's me every night. 2 AM is bedtime or when my head knocks the puter I know it's time to call it a day.

my problem is that I don't want to do something 1/2 way
    Guilty here too. Perfectionism and obsessions makes this all-consuming but in the end it does pay off. But I am glad to have found a place where I am not the only one doing this and glad I have found this forum. Not only do I enjoy reading the old/new posts but the people here seem to have the same business ethics/values as I do which I find very impt.

Happy Friday!

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    No, I don't find it all consuming. There are times when I have to actually work and at those times, I turn off the tv and do what needs to be done to get the site off the ground. Before that, I spend a couple weeks or months letting the new site idea perkulate in my mind until after a while I have gotten how I want the site to look, be structured and how it should act.

While sites are being built, I have the computer do the heavy lifting of making the pages. When a site is up, alot of the maintenence of the site is mechanical and I'm watching tv while doing it. Checking stats, searching for new merchants, seeing what the competition is doing, reading ABW, I don't need complete focus. Although when I am building a new site, I usually stop reading ABW, one must prioritize ones time.

Maybe I'm not working as hard as I should??? I know there are lots of aff marketers who make much more than I do. But I do know that 1) I pay all my bills every month, 2) I have no outstanding debt 3) I have saved money and 4) I haven't had a day job since 2003 so I don't care.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

Funny reading this
    Your post made me laugh. I just really got started a couple of weeks ago and now I seem to be obsessed. I am constantly thinking of ways to promote my site, other sites I could make and researching the web on affiliating. That is how I found this forum. But the crazy thing is I like it. I just hope I can make some money at it.

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread