ABW Ambassador
    Angry UN halts aid to Myanmar
    YANGON, Myanmar (AP) - A U.N. official says the World Food Program is suspending cyclone aid to Myanmar because its government seized supplies flown into the country.

He says the WFP has no choice but to suspend the shipments until the matter is resolved.

breitbart.com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Makes you scratch your head in disbelief that the so called government there care so little about their own people. No sense in shipping aid if the government is going to keep it from those who need it. I understand your anger. That said, I'm moving on before it gets me worked up too.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Wow, so sad. Don't understand where kindness fails people. This is a perfect example. If there was just SOME kindness in the government's actions, this would not happen.
    Danay @ LunaSolMedia.com
    Global Perfomance Marketing. Global Niche Markets = Opportunity!
    HispanicYa!|MallFreebies

I dwell in possibility. ~Emily Dickinson

ooooh definitely hope that changes very soon. Somebody has to get in there to help them Did see somethin on the news that some aid from Thailand was being brought into the country. There would have to be or least hope some way to get other help to them.

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Been following this on CNN, very sad indeed!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    If you want to help you might appreciate knowing that Doctors Without Borders is getting needed supplies and personnel into the country.

Dear Friend,

Just this morning I received notice that 3 Doctors Without Borders/Midecins Sans Frontihres (MSF) cargo planes carrying 110 tons of relief supplies had arrived in Myanmar. They contain tents, food, water and sanitation supplies, and medical materials critically needed to reinforce the ongoing relief activities our teams in Myanmar are carrying out in the aftermath of the devastating May 2nd cyclone.

Tens of thousands are estimated dead or missing throughout the southwestern Irrawaddy Delta. Villages in the region have been razed and many survivors have lost their family and all of their possessions. Water sources have been contaminated, food is scarce, and there is a risk of disease outbreaks. People are in urgent need of help.

Independent, unrestricted funding from donors like you has allowed our medical teams to be present in Myanmar for over 15 years, and to mobilize immediately to respond to this crisis.

In many locations throughout the delta we are the only aid group present. As Juli Niebuhr, Deputy Country Manager for Myanmar told us today, "At the moment our main concern is to get the essentials to people through the most effective means possible."

Led by highly experienced local field staff, the teams started our emergency response with the supplies we had in stock, including rice, canned fish, shelter material, and medicines. The infusion of relief supplies flown in by Doctors Without Borders over the past two days will help the 22 medical teams now doing consultations, distributing food, and shelter materials. The teams now have 8 boats to facilitate distribution of supplies to those most in need.

But we are frustrated by the limitations Myanmar's government has placed on international staff. International aid workers already in the country are so far being prevented from reaching some of the most affected areas. International staff, particularly those with expertise in water and sanitation, are desperately needed but visa approvals have been exceedingly slow.

While the challenges are great, we are determined to do more to help the people affected by the cyclone. We have a fourth and fifth cargo plane on the way to Myanmar and will continue to press for permission to send in the dozens of international staff on stand by.

The longstanding support of donors like you has been critical to our quick response to disasters such as the Myanmar cyclone, the South Asian Tsunami, and the Pakistani earthquake. Please consider helping us provide medical assistance in Myanmar and in nearly 60 other countries around the world.

Never heard of Myanmar until this week. Gotta read the newspaper more often.

Why not send in troops with the food supplies?

ABW Ambassador
    Afilyit

It was BURMA
    The high school dropout that runs the country changed the name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burma

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit
    Humanitarian effort, you do not want to send in troops. Thus, they leaders of the country are not too excited to have foreign help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    If you want to help you might appreciate knowing that Doctors Without Borders is getting needed supplies and personnel into the country.
    Mods,
    If somebody can change the link to a direct link in that email that that quoted.

https://www.doctorswithoutborders-us...tners/form.cfm

It is sending it to
    www dot kintera dot org/site/apps/ka/sd/donorcustom.asp?c=foIJKQMFF&b=89844&kntaw3112=FD5F716482E948E0B23D85F9A7BF4FA9?msource=ADL080501D01
    after bouncing it off uptilt email program.

Not sure if kintera dot org is tied to boarders without boarders.

Oops, sorry about that. It didn't occur to me to check on the links in the email. I guess those extra numbers identify me as the person clicking the link.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Oops, sorry about that. It didn't occur to me to check on the links in the email. I guess those extra numbers identify me as the person clicking the link.

I think he was referring to the fact that it is not going to doctorswithoutboarders.com but rather a site that is phising for Credit card info.
    Ma, where the beer? :escape:

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    Quote Originally Posted by Afilyit
    You wanna make it 0 for 3 for "successful democracy export attempts"?

I think he was referring to the fact that it is not going to doctorswithoutboarders.com but rather a site that is phising for Credit card info.
    OMG I'm really sorry. I'm going to contact Doctors Without Borders and let them know their email has been hacked. Thanks for clueing me in.

Another Cyclone heading towards Myanmar.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread