ABW Ambassador
    Anyone signed up as a publisher (merchant) can go to the CJ info on affiliates (publishers) and see the list of sites they have registered with CJ, including your competition or a merchant member that's friendly with your competition.

Haha, so much for privacy ... CJ spills the beans all over the Web if you've got some hot sites you want to keep off your competitors radar screen or if you've got some special "private" site designed just for a special merchant and you don't want to wave it in front of other not-so-special merchants.

This leads us to getting creative with site camouflage techniques at CJ, just like many of us have found necessary with the Whois data base ... you know, that great big open book for piracy and spamming.

So how 'bout it CJ ... will you please give publishers a way to de-list those sites we don't want all eyes in the world to know about?

Excuse me if there's already a way that I don't know about.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Yeah,

I kind of remember that merchants I'm not signed up with can't see, but the minute I apply then they can.

This:

quote:
    if you've got some special "private" site designed just for a special merchant and you don't want to wave it in front of other not-so-special merchants. ~Whiznot

is one of my main reasons for agreeing.

One solution may be to have 2 areas we could set up in our accounts: One that All applied-for merchants can see, and one that only Selected merchants can see. This Selected area should allow for the ability to add more than one merchant who can see (good for negotiations merchants)--but only those we want to have looking.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

What exactly can they see? All our websites, or all our affiliations?

Unless you (the publisher) apply to an advertiser's program, advertiser do not know you exist. Once you apply, they can see your registered websites and your network EPC. They do not know which other programs you have joined.

I think advertisers have the right to know who is partnering with them.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd,

quote:

I agree 100% with that. How else would they know if it were a parasite partner?

http://www.funnyjunk.com/pages/burger.htm

ABW Ambassador
    I'm relieved to learn that only those advertisers I apply to get to see all my holdings.

Todd, I agree that the advertisers have a right to know who they are partnering with, but I disagree that they have a right to know business matters that I consider private, anymore than I have a right to know their private business.

In some cases, affilate relationships are multi-faceted ... partners in one area and competitors in another. In these situations, CJ is unwittingly releasing competitive information to the advertisers.

What's wrong with simply listing "listed site A", "listed site B", "unlisted site C", then let the advertiser decide whether or not they want to do business where a full disclosure is not offered.

In some cases, publishers have additional sites that are not in the CJ program at all. The advertisers are not privvy to this information. A policy at CJ allowing advertisers to see all sites registered by a publisher at CJ provides a motive for seeking affiliate relationships outside of CJ.

I really think the privacy concerns of publishers should be given more consideration. CJ's terms of service should provide plenty of protection against unsavory practices by the members without compromising their private business matters.

[This message was edited by Whiznot on October 16, 2002 at 05:22 PM.]

Whiznot,

The alternative would require publishers to apply by individual website (instead of account) for each program they wish to join. If you had 5 websites and wanted to join 5 programs, you would need to apply 25 times.

Should I enter this as a new product request? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

quote:
    Originally posted by ToddCrawford, CJ.com:
    Whiznot,

The alternative would require publishers to apply by individual website (instead of account) for each program they wish to join. If you had 5 websites and wanted to join 5 programs, you would need to apply 25 times.

Should I enter this as a new product request? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

This is exactly the way http://www.tradedoubler.com works. You have to apply to merchants per site and not account.

Please don't enter it as a new product request [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.
    Rule of acquisition #80

ABW Ambassador
    Todd, please advise if I am allowed to set up multiple accounts at CJ, but all under one company name. I trust CJ and don't feel I need to hide anything from them.

Would that be OK? Then how would I go about it?

That would solve my privacy concerns. My competitive R&D site(s), new technology site(s) or otherwise private sites can then go into a separate account(s) and not be seen by the "whole world", but only those on a need-to-know basis.

A long the line of the privacy issue, I'm curious if the pixel/image/impression counter system that is used can track where hits to our pages are coming from (referrers) and search terms used when those hits come from search engines? If so, is that information made available to advertisers or anyone.

I'm sorry if this sounds like a loaded question because I in no way mean to imply anything. I'm just curious and don't know the answer. And sorry if the answer is already posted somewhere here and I'm too ignorant to find it.

Members have often asked affilates if they look at the merchants site before signing up. I have have often wondered why this question is asked as it would seem to be automatic. It is reasonable and fair for the merchants to view the affiliates site bore accepting the affiliation. I really thik that we get a little to parinoid on this issue at times. Is someone following me?

I could type much better if I had knuckles

I sould start proof reading my posts

I could type much better if I had knuckles

No Privacy at CJ hmm, They wont even let advertisers have their affiliates email address.
    quote:

Do you think advertisers should be able to email their affiliates at their real email address's without having to pay CJ for the privilege? I sure do... Please don't remind me of that lame mail interface built in that nobody uses. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] I'll never pay CJ to email my affiliates and it irks me when I'm reminded that you are charging advertisers (Who are already paying you) to email their partners. I guess we could go thru each profile and try to find an email address for each, am I the only one this seems ludicrous too?

Bassmaster,

You've got me with you. Maybe if the merchant's get together we can convince them to release at least the e-mail addresses.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Business Development
    akiva@essentialapparel.com
    800-556-2937 ext 751
    www.essentialapparel.com

ABW Ambassador
    Bassmaster >> They wont even let advertisers have their affiliates email address.

I find that hard to believe. I have open communications with most of my advertisers, by phone and e-mail both. All they have to do is visit my site to get an e-mail address.

My concerns about privacy is releasing a complete list of URL's I have registered at CJ when some of those URL's are not considered part of the business relationship I have with all advertisers I'm signed up with.

If all you have is one URL, it's no problem. But if your business expands and you have several URLs it becomes a privacy concern to let all your advertisers see what you are doing. And I shouldn't need to explain why, although I've attempted to do so above. My private business is my private business as long as I'm operating within CJ's Terms of Service.

And this has nothing to do with trying to steal someone else's traffic. It has to do with protecting my own.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I've had more than one merchant ask me for my off-CJ email address, so I think there's something to that claim that CJ doesn't give out that info now. I know they used to, but they seem to have changed the way they handle that info.

On the other hand, there's more than one place I communicate with only by the CJ Mail--so it's not like "nobody uses it", although it does have some irritating attributes...

I actually prefer to use the CJ Mail anyway, mainly because some important mail isn't going to buried under a heap of non-CJ spam that way. Plus it saves me from having to bother setting up a seperate email account just for that. If they gave everybody the email addy on record, free, I could see my email getting packed with spams because without that mailing fee holding them back, some places would just go completely bananas!

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Todd, the way I'd like it to be is that when we apply for a merchant it gives us a list of checkboxes of which of our sites we want to apply with and by default they'd all be checked. Then if there were certain sites we wanted to keep the merchant from seeing we could just uncheck the box. Of course this would mean that merchants would have to spend more time approving sites but that would be a result of their choice to restrict who joins with them. Anyways, I definately want this feature because merchants seem to deny me after looking at sites other then the one I plan to sell their products on which forces me to email them asking to be reconsidered (which doesn't always work). Oh, and of course if you do implement this then it would need to be reflected in "get links" too ie. we could only get the link code for our sites that are joined with the merchant.

[This message was edited by Tweaker on October 21, 2002 at 08:34 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by Tweaker:
    Todd, the way I'd like it to be is that when we apply for a merchant it gives us a list of checkboxes of which of our sites we want to apply with and by default they'd all be checked. Then if there were certain sites we wanted to keep the merchant from seeing we could just uncheck the box.

I agree with this completely! Our sites run the range, and some are controversial, while others are toast and butter. When we apply to a merchant (usually with just one site in mind) they go look at all our sites and many times I feel disapproved based on one or two of the sites. In fact, I know this to be true, because that's what happened in the past, and the merchant emailed us over it.

There really is no need for a merchant to see (and therefore approve) all our sites if we don't plan on running their stuff on all of them.

So yes, would you please put in the request for the check boxes? Thank you.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

quote:
    Todd, the way I'd like it to be is that when we apply for a merchant it gives us a list of checkboxes of which of our sites we want to apply with and by default they'd all be checked. Then if there were certain sites we wanted to keep the merchant from seeing we could just uncheck the box.

This sounds like a good idea. I'll enter this as a new feature request on Monday. Hopefully it will get added into an upcoming project.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    UMMM thanks???
    This was suggested months ago by me to address merchants not even looking at our proper site to run a program on.
    It lookds like this post got some action .
    I guess I don't shout loud enough LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

ABW Ambassador
    quote:
    Originally posted by walleye warrior:
    UMMM thanks???
    This was suggested months ago by me to address merchants not even looking at our proper site to run a program on.
    It lookds like this post got some action .
    I guess I don't shout loud enough LOL [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

At least it might be done now. I'm really happy to see that. Thank you Todd/CJ.

http://SearchToSale.com - Turns your search box into money.

Good to see Todd agreeing to take action on this issue - I'll look forward to the modification - but just in case this never happens, can Todd answer the question that was posed earlier in this thread ....

Is it possible to set up multiple accounts at CJ?

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread