Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Do You Prefer 1st or First?
    I was getting ready to start up a site for a domain I've been sitting on and then it occurred that I should have registered "1st" as well as "first".

Luckily 1st wasn't taken so now I don't know which one to build the site from. Not that it matters too much, as I'll redirect whichever I don't use but do you prefer 1stdomain.com or Firstdomain.com ?

My first (ha ha) choice was first.

My first choice would be "first"domain.com. Unless, that is, the normal usage of the "domain" part would indicate "1st" - such as 1st Avenue, or 1st Infantry Division.

Keep in mind that I am not a human-computer-interface expert, and what I stated is my opinion only.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

IMO, you should stick with "first". Obviously any "printed" advertising (web, paper media, etc) would let people see the name and not be confused, but if there is any verbal mention of the site, I think people would assume 'first' instead of 1st as part of a URL. Not only that, but you run the risk of losing those folks that mistakely use 1rst instead of 1st. It also seems, to me, more appropriate to use words and not numbers in your URL.

Good luck with your choice!

Since you've got both and will redirect from one to the other, I'd stick with spelling out "first". Looks more professional when you spell it out.

Like Beachy said though, if the title lends itself to "1st", definitely use that.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Tough question.

I'd say go with what people are entering as a search term for that particular niche. If more people are entering "1st," then run with that one. - If it's not as yet defined by searchers, use "first."

A little research should get you the answer.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I agree with most of what's been said here and would only add that names like 1stdomain.com always strike me as second-rate or spammy. That's just a personal thing, though, and I'm not sure if it's prevalent.

Also, with both names in hand you're in a unique position to test what sorts of visitors you get to either. I'd be interested to know, for instance, if visitors to 1stdomain are more or less web savvy, for instance, and whether this has an impact on sales. Yeah, there should be some interesting survey opportunities there...

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback.

I wrote it down and "first" looked a lot better than "1st" which is probably why I never thought to register the number until today. But you never know what people prefer until you ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_C
    I agree with most of what's been said here and would only add that names like 1stdomain.com always strike me as second-rate or spammy.
    In this case "first" is relevant to the theme of the site so I'd say these domains are pretty nifty.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_C
    I agree with most of what's been said here and would only add that names like 1stdomain.com always strike me as second-rate or spammy. That's just a personal thing, though, and I'm not sure if it's prevalent.
    I completly agree

I have several domain names beginning with 1st that we've used for years for our hosting and mail domains as well as a business name. 1stdomain.com is very awkward verbally as firstdomain.com is usually assumed. Verbally you have to say "the number one, st, as in 1st" d o m a i n... 1st has been mistaken as an abbreviation for "list" also. On the other hand, anywhere your domain is listed alphabetically, 1st will be at the top of the list.

X

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread