ABW Ambassador
    Just thought I would share my day so far.

I got up this morning. The sun was shining, the birds were singing. It was a lovely day ... then I booted up.

First thing I see is a notice that said Zone Alarm had expired and I also needed to download something from Microsoft. I've never gotten either message before and with all the virus stuff going around I was suspicious. I tried to access my account at Zone Alarm to make sure it was a legit renewal but it said I didn't have an account.

I called Zone Alarm and explained that I needed to know if the renewal was legit before I handed over my credit card information. The person who I was passed to was quite clueless and couldn't find any record of me having any zone alarm products. Also, he had no clue that there was even a sobig.f virus out there and had not heard of the MS Blaster virus. This did not do much for my confidence level.

Finally I found a receipt from Zone Labs for my order and he said "Oh then you do have an account with us." Well YES that's what I've been telling you. "Hmm. Well then it looks like the renewal notice is from us." Okay, great, thanks. Much joy in mudville.

I paid for that and moved on to download the new MS downloads which promptly froze my computer so I had to reboot.

Then, being the concerned daughter I am, I called my parents to make sure they didn't have the virus and were protected. BIG MISTAKE. Danger Kip Robinson! Danger!

I spent an hour and a half trying to walk my Mom through making sure they had the proper updates. The first 45 minutes went along these lines:

Mom: Oh dear there is a notice from Zone Alarm asking if I want to allow a strange bunch of letters to connect to the internet. I'm going to click No.

Me: What are the letters?

Mom: Oh dear I can't click No.

Me: What are the letters?

Mom: Hmm. I'm going to click the X box.

Me: What does the message say?

Mom: It doesn't spell a real word. It won't let me click the X box.

Me: First read me the letters.

Mom: I will after I make it ... Oh wait, I'll just click yes.

Me: No! Don't click anything until I tell you. What are the letters?

Mom: Oh, I don't know. I clicked yes and now the letters are gone.

Me: Okay, fine. Do you still see the ZA in the bottom right corner that lets you know your computer is protected?

Mom: No.

Me: You don't see it? You should see it.

Mom: I don't.

Me: You don't see a ZA or Zone Alarm at the bottom anywhere? Are you sure? Look in the bottom right corner.

Mom: No. It isn't there.

After 20 minutes of THIS which involved going to programs and finding zone alarm and clicking it ...

Mom: Oh that! That's been there. It takes up most of my screen and says Zone Alarm.

Me: What?!!? Why didn't you tell me it was there????

Mom: But it's on the screen. You said to look at the bottom for it. It isn't on the bottom. It's on the screen.

Then after an hour and a half talking with her and just getting her to the MS Security screen to scan for updates (please note that we didn't even START the scan yet we just made it to the screen to scan) my dad comes in and my mom passes the phone off to him to deal with.

As she's getting up she kicks the cord and disconnects the computer. My dad turns the computer back on and ....

All that comes up is the screensaver. No start menu button, no little icons on the screen to click, nothing but the screensaver.

I spend another hour with him trying to get something to come up. Nothing. Nada. Zip.

I finally get off the phone with him and the second I put down the phone, my dog starts heaving and throws up.

Just thought I would share.

Kip

ABW Ambassador
    an eventful day? lol. Maybe you can walk your mom through reformatting her hard drive, so she will think twice before clicking anything?

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    www.webproconnect.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Obviously the dog got sick of hearing humans communicate.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Affiliate Manager
    Your mom and my mom may go to the same computer literacy school. Last year, mom called me up late one night in a frenzy...

Mom: Carolyn! Someone's reading all my emails!

Me: Mmmrmph...wha'??

Mom: I send off my emails, and someone keeps reading them and sending them back!

Me: Mom, I don't think that's happening...

Mom: It is! And I think he's satanic or something, his name is something like mailer-daemon?

Me:

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    e: ctang@collectiblestoday.com
    p: (847) 581-8939
    f: (847)581-8922
    Yahoo IM: carolyn_collectiblestoday

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Have faith Kip. My "tech support" conversations used to sound pretty much like yours. After a year or so I at least taught her not to click on anything until I told her to and she could tell me what was on the screen. After about 2 years, our sessions could be held to about an hour. Now I can do most things by email.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

I hope it wasn't a long distance call Kip

Sal @ PHATBargains.com

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    LOL ..good one Carolyn. I got plenty of those demons in my e-mail box today.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ever have one of those days ...?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope . . . not I . . . I'm totally untouchable

Brian
    aka Cyclone

Get while the getting's good

Tell your mother not to worry. Mailer-daemon is one of my online buddies and I gave him her e-mail address. She should answer all his e-mails because he is really interested in hearing from her.

The Wolf Credo: Respect the elders. Teach the young. Cooperate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between. Share your affections. Voice your feelings. Leave your mark.

Affiliate/AM Moonlighter dflsports's Avatar
    I can relate. I took my pc in for repairs, the blackout caused some major problems I could not fix. I could get to my hard drive via "safe mode" so I knew my data was intact. I told the repair shop please do not reinstall windows and wipe the drive. "Ok, we always call before we to a clean install" they responded. (this is monday morning)

I call wednesday, pc not looked at yet, left note, please do not wipe reformat the drive.

Called today (friday), "how's my pc?" I asked. "Just fine, I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows" was the response. AUGHHHHHHHHH! |I was thinking

ABW Ambassador
    Carolyn - about the demon mailer. That's funny! At least your mom gets email. My mom has my dad get it for her.

Ms. B -
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> After about 2 years, our sessions could be held to about an hour. Now I can do most things by email.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two years huh? Maybe your mom could read the emails to my mom?

Sal - <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I hope it wasn't a long distance call Kip <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was on my cel phone which the battery went dead on after 114 minutes. After that it was on their dime.

Brian -
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Ever have one of those days ...?Nope . . . not I . . . I'm totally untouchable
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! Yeah right. Haven't logged in to CJ recently I see.

DFLSports - I feel your pain.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Thanks for the chuckle guys.

I can sympathize though. I have become the neighborhood computer guru in a
    neighborhood full of elderly and computer illiterate.

There are days I just want to pull my hair out, but I can't complain, most often they insist upon paying me, so that few extra bucks goes along way towards not being bald.

~Michelle

"All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."

"Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

ABW Ambassador
    Kip,
    At least your Mom has a computer and tries to use it . My Mom and Dad are living so far back
    in the past that they still have an old ROTARY phone in their kitchen , while in their bedroom is a push-button phone with Big A$$ buttons for people with bad eyesight or very
    fat fingers

I TRIED to EXPLAIN to her the last time I went down to Florida about cordless phones , cell phones, etc. , and after a while , I "thought" she had it figured out , end of subject .

A year later when she came to visit us on Long Island, she asked me how much extra I had to pay every month for my phone - this was a cordless kitchen phone .

I proceeded to explain how SHE TOO can have one of these nifty phones for herself to take with her all around the house , out in the backyard, etc. - with no extra monthly fees whatsoever !

She goes on to say how handy one of those phones would be in an emergency when driving long distances in the car , and no wonder why she sees so many people driving around with them

No matter how I try to explain away, my mother still insists that I am going to get into big trouble on the computer , and how something is very fishy about what I do .

Truth be told, in a lot of areas my Mom is very smart - but technology or anything mechanical , is not one of her strong points

Kip,

I've had days EXACTLY like that! Reading your story reminded me of oh so many similar experiences!

I just keep telling myself it has to get better...

It's important to believe that...

...or else your day can get REALLY BAD!

Andy

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lisa:
    My Mom and Dad are living so far back
    in the past that they still have an old ROTARY phone in their kitchen <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> My parents have that version in the spare bedroom <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I TRIED to EXPLAIN to her the last time I went down to Florida about cordless phones , cell phones, etc. , and after a while , I "thought" she had it figured out , end of subject .<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> They do have a cordless, an old one - pre 900Hz I think it is and they hit the button to "scan for a better channel" within 30 seconds of every call regardless of whether it sounds okay or not. They have a cell too, but never turn it on (at least they can use it to call out from the car if necessary)

I have taught my "clients" how to fire up the VNC server and connect to my listening daemon, then tell them to go get a coffee or something while I fix their computer for them remotely.

--
    "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches, but to reveal to him his own." – Benjamin Disraeli
    --
    Ford Fox-body Owners Club -- http://www.ford-fox.org

ABW Ambassador
    I learned a long time ago that if someone ever calls me for phone support you lay down the rules first. You are my eyes and ears. You are not involved in the thought process. You do exactly what I say and report what I ask for.

If they don't want to play they don't get any support.

Your story made my eyes water

<font face=verdana size=1 color=43639C>Know Google as you know yourself and you will live to fight many battles - Sun Tzu</font>

I'm back. I had 'one of those days' when my hard drive crashed this morning.

I hate when they do that!

Learned my lessons the 'hard' way the last time I lost a HD. Now I back up my back ups. That was three years ago.

But, I really didn't want to play this game anytime soon. Three years is too soon.

I got them ...

Lost the Data,
    No cover on the 'Puter
    Dead Hard Drive At my feet,
    Spent all Day Diagnos'en
    Low Down Dirty,
    Broken Down Hard Drive Blues

"An Optimist Can Never be Pleasantly Surprised" - Murphy

Affiliate Manager
    "My Mom and Dad are living so far back
    in the past that they still have an old ROTARY phone in their kitchen , while in their bedroom is a push-button phone with Big A$$ buttons for people with bad eyesight or very
    fat fingers..."

LOL, Lisa! But what's a rotary phone?

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    e: ctang@collectiblestoday.com
    p: (847) 581-8939
    f: (847)581-8922
    Yahoo IM: carolyn_collectiblestoday

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread