Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    What are some "must do" places to eat in Boston?
    Karen and Joel Garcia and I just launched a new "foodie" blog at ultimatefoodie.com and we're looking for some recommendations from locals or visitors to Boston on some places we should eat at and review for the site.

Anyone got some suggestions?

I'm not just looking for "fine dining" type suggestions... also very into funky local joints that have a serious following and awesome food. The key here is a great dining experience that will compelling to write up a review or video blog on.

Thanks

Wade
    Last edited by Haiko de Poel, Jr.; May 13th, 2008 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Moved thread from cafe' to family and fixed link

For Sure a place called Rock Bottom. It is south of the public gardens somewhere.

Excellent micro brewery/restaurant

There are a ton of great seafood restaurants there.

I'm sure we'll get lots of suggestions from locals, but I've also used TripAdvisor to find some real gems. Here's their Top Boston Restaurants. I used TripAdvisor last time I went to Vegas and hit close to a dozen of the top 20-40 restaurants I hadn't been to before. Most were sensational!

My favorites are usually steakhouses, but I'm not getting my hopes up in Boston. You have to go all the way down to #21 to find the first steakhouse, and it's a chain (albeit a great one - The Capital Grille). Grill 23 & Bar (#34) looks to be the top non-chain steakhouse.

Looking forward to hearing more local and/or frequent Boston traveler suggestions!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    It's been years since I lived in Boston but two standout restaurants back then were Joyce Chen's and Legal Seafood. And there was this cool little joint north of the city that had the most amazing paella -- but I can't recall the name. North Boston is the "Little Italy" of Boston so that's where you head for the best pizza and home-style Italian restaurants.

Also there's a Whole Foods in practically every neighborhood in Boston. Great place to grab lunch or a light dinner. Maybe pick up a package of black and white cookies for late night snacking in the hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    My favorites are usually steakhouses, but I'm not getting my hopes up in Boston. You have to go all the way down to #21 to find the first steakhouse, and it's a chain (albeit a great one - The Capital Grille). Grill 23 & Bar (#34) looks to be the top non-chain steakhouse.
    A friend recommended the Capital Grille - it's been on my to do list.

Durgin Park (Faneuil Hall Market Place) is a classic. Just beware that the waitress might just tell you what you are eating!

Anthony's Pier 4 for seafood.

No idea of any of the other places I used to go to would still be there. Boston used to have lots of great ice cream places. Anyone know if Emack & Bolio's is still in Brookline? Or Herrell's in Allston?
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Kelly's World Famous Roast Beef(http://www.kellysroastbeef.com/) is my personal go to spot. I always get a large roast beef, cheese and extra sauce with a small fry on the side. Dip the fries in Kelly's tartar sauce and you will be a fan forever! I practically grew up on that meal right there.

There are so many great restaurants in Boston. I reccomend taking a look at this site www.phantomgourmet.com/. It is a local TV show that reviews restaurants in Boston. They will give you a hundred great and unique restaurants to review.

Good Luck!

Brent
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

We used to go to T Anthony's for subs. It was a Commonweath Ave. at Babcock (I think) in Brookline.
    Brad Waller | VP, Business and Affiliate Development
    EPage.com

Quote Originally Posted by buyjewelry
    For Sure a place called Rock Bottom. It is south of the public gardens somewhere.

Excellent micro brewery/restaurant
    Absolutely a cool place. I've been to the one in Seattle - great food and great micro-brews.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent E.
    Kelly's World Famous Roast Beef(http://www.kellysroastbeef.com/) is my personal go to spot. I always get a large roast beef, cheese and extra sauce with a small fry on the side. Dip the fries in Kelly's tartar sauce and you will be a fan forever! I practically grew up on that meal right there.
    Gotta try that one. On Brent's recommendation alone it has to be "the" place to visit - not only for good eats, but it also sounds like a bit of Bahstun culture.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager AffiliateWarrior's Avatar
    Thanks for all of the feedback

Beachy- Kelly's Roast Beef just moved up on my list of places to hit while I am there.

If anyone has a place that they'd like to review (Boston or elsewhere) we're happy to have special guest "foodies" on the blog.

Get in touch.

Wade
    Last edited by AffiliateWarrior; May 13th, 2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: forgot something

ABW Ambassador
    Let's start again...had a bunch written and the computer froze...hope I remember what I had down.

I'll agree with the RockBottom Brewery...it's on Stuart St and real good. Check out Jasper White's Summer Shack. Good food, couple of locations, one in Boston and one in Cambridge. Also, the Scollay Square on Beacon St near the State House is a nice take. Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is on School St at the Old City Hall. It's a chain, but very good.

If you are willing to hit the suburbs and like barbeque, try Redbones in Davis Sq, Somerville. It's right off the subway (Red Line).

Rhea mentioned Joyce Chen's, I think that's closed now, but Legal Seafoods has several locations around the city.

Kelly's Roast Beef has a few locations now, the original, I believe is on Revere Beach.

Ken

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    One of my favorite episodes was the Boston one of Mike Decarlo's "Taste Of America" Geeez that Boston Cream Pie looked good!
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

McDonalds

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Check out Strega in the Little Italy section.

chowdah - Legal Seafood, full service restaurant

oystah - B&G Oyster, cute boutique restaurant (only limited seating)

all seafood - East Coast Grille, Cambridge (casual)

lobstah ala New England style and all the fresh fried seafood - Woodmans (in Essex, outside of Boston) Take a nice drive to Essex and the coast if you have time. www woodmans dot com

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    For Chinese I always liked the Noble House on Beacon st. Also like legal seafood but for the price you can get comparable seafood for less at a number of Boston dives.

Two personal favorites of mine when we lived out there (84 - 95) were in Harvard Square. We had an office in Cambridge back then and had interns from Hahvad working for us. About once every two weeks or so they would invite me to join them and their gangs at Casablanca. Great place for drinks and the food was eclectic and good as well.

http://www.casablanca-restaurant.com...out/about.html

The other one was one that I bet my little buddy Brent will vouch for.
    BORDER CAFE!! Great great hangout for the younger crowd. Huge following, great cheap eats, lots of homemade stuff, great margueritas and busy busy busy place. A definite wallet friendly hangout with a great crowd. Then you can take an easy walk over to Hahvad to view the campus.

http://boston.citysearch.com/profile/4745774
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    While you are in Harvard Sq. Don't forget to have lunch at Mr. Bartley's Burger Cottage. Great burgers...here's a small selection:

THE GEORGE BUSH JR
    (not bad for a C student) a double cheddar texas BBQ burger with sweet potato fries
    $12.99

THE DICK CHENEY
    (a heart beat away) a bacon cheese burger with lettuce, tomato, and baked beans
    $8.99

THE TED KENNEDY
    a plump, liberal amount of burger with cheddar cheese, mushrooms and french fries

THE ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER
    (this is no girly burger) a double swiss burger with french fries
    $12.99

THE CONDOLEEZZA RICE
    (GW"s right hand woman, won't run in '08) a monterey jack cheese burger with bacon, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and french fries
    $9.25

THE JOHN KERRY
    (he voted this the best burger before he voted against it) a swiss cheese burger with mushrooms, tomato, lettuce, and fries
    $9.25

Ken

Somebody please tell where the best place is to get traditional lobstah roll.

Also, any outdoor biergartens?

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    Somebody please tell where the best place is to get traditional lobstah roll. Also, any outdoor biergartens?
    Rhea,

The best lobster roll I ever had was south of Bahstin, what they call the "South Shah" (translation - South Shore) IT is a place called Oxford Creamery in Mattapoisett. But there are sooo many places in Bahstin where you get good traditional Lobstah rolls. Just about every restaurant that serves lobstah rolls serve the traditional. The key is that succulent, sweet Maine lobstah and the special cut hot dog bun. So you will not have any problem finding them! I don't think I evah had a lobstah roll there that I did not like.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Thanks for the tip, Alan. I used to LOVE lobstah rolls but the only place I've ever had them was "down east" in Maine. I wasn't sure if they're prepared the same way in Boston. Gotta be dripping with mayo, plenty of celery, tons of lobstah meat and a perfectly buttered and toasted hot dog roll.

OMG I'm hungry. :slurp:

Outsourced Program Manager Brent E.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wyvern

If you are willing to hit the suburbs and like barbeque, try Redbones in Davis Sq, Somerville. It's right off the subway (Red Line).
    I ate at Redbones in Davis Sq. once a week for two years when I lived in Davis Sq. I absolutely LOVE their pulled pork sandwich, fried Okra, and of course the corn bread. I need to make another trip there very soon.
    Brent Elias
    Affiliate Manager/Acceleration-Partners
    Belias(AT)acceleration-partners.com
    "God Grant That Men Of Principle, Shall Be Our Principle Men" - Thomas Jefferson

The slot machine that IS paid! Billy Kay's Avatar
    It's still a secret, but there's a huge bar-b-que at Brent's house for anyone who understands the CSN pay structure.

I plan to sit out front on the curb and wait for the leftovers

Legal Sea Foods. I think they have an affilaite program too.

As a local, I feel like it's my responsibility to lend some guidance! All of these restaurants are affordable by Boston standards and none of them are chains.

Go to Joe V's for really good pizza, pasta, and affordable wine list. Great staff.
    In the South End at the corner of Shawmut and Union Park.

Go to the Franklin Cafe for solid American bistro fare. Fun, noisy vibe. Crowded.
    In the South End at 278 Shawmut Ave.

Go to Toro for awesome tapas. Fantastic flavors, atmosphere and drinks.
    In the South End at 1704 Washington Street.

Go to Gaslight for some nicely done French bistro cooking. It's amazing what the French can do with a chicken.
    In the South End at the corner of Waltham and Harrison.

Go to Meyers + Chang for kooky good Pan Asian. Great small plates. Get the dumplings.
    In the South End at the corner of Washington and East Berkley

Go to B & G Oysters for fantastic, fresh seafood. Puts Legal Seafood to shame, seriously.
    In the South End at the corner of Waltham and Tremont

Go to The Butcher Shop for classic, house-made charcuterie and a terrific wine list.
    In the South End at the corner of Waltham and Tremont, too.

All of these restaurants are in the South End, a really nice "Boston" feeling neighborhood. If anyone wants other suggestions, let me know. I'm going to get something to eat!

There was a place reviewed on the t.v. show three sheets (mojo) that featured a small bar that had hundreds of beers on tap. I can't remember the name or location - did anyone else see it and know the place?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast