Rolling Hills of Ohio
    Quake Devastates China
    I heard someone mention a quake in China last night while I was out, but didn't hear anything about it on the news last night. Anyhow, here's one of the many articles ....

DUJIANGYAN, China - The toll of the dead and missing soared as rescue workers dug through flattened schools and homes on Tuesday in a desperate attempt to find survivors of China's worst earthquake in three decades.

The official Xinhua News Agency said the death toll exceeded 12,000 in Sichuan province alone, and 18,645 were still buried in debris in the city of Mianyang, near the epicenter of Monday's massive, 7.9-magnitude quake.

The Sichuan Daily newspaper reported on its Web site that more than 26,000 people were injured in Mianyang.

The numbers of casualties was expected to rise due to the remoteness of the areas affected by the quake and difficulty in finding buried victims.

There was little prospect that many survivors would be found under the rubble. Only 58 people were extricated from demolished buildings across the quake area so far, China Seismological Bureau spokesman Zhang Hongwei told Xinhua. In one county, 80 percent of the buildings were destroyed.

Our thoughts and prayers go out. May all of those assisting be blessed with swift feet and tender hands.

Breaks your heart to watch it saw clip the other day while riding my stationery bike and it showed people coming out of a building... looked ok to me. Nobody was hurt (I didn't have volume on tv tho) so didn't really think much til later in day and saw more pictures. Don't watch coverage of it now cos it's just too sad to see.

It's one of those things that leaves me sad thinking about it and totally baffled at the same time. I know there's been terrible tornadoes where people have been killed and their lives just torn apart. Feel very sad for them, also. In my area we had a lot of rain, some flooding but far as I know, nobody hurt or anything. (just property)

Turned on the local news and the big story was the flooding here. I know the reasons, people relate to things in their own areas, but just kinda shakin my head wondering how can that be the big news story with the devestating news of what's happened over there and the flooding a little earlier in Myammar (not sure if spelling's right) It's terrible for anybody who has property damage, etc. but just seems so outa proportion to what they're going thru over there.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Mansfield, Texas
    Seems like there have been many natural disasters lately in the Far East.

Gut wrenching to watch the suffering.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread