A question you guys can probably answer
    Ok, hopefully you guys can help me with this because I have googled it to death and can't find what I'm looking for. I have been fairly successful over the last year with webhosting affiliates through CJ. I have always used the plain old ugly CJ links but recently decided to go that extra mile and try and make them look nicer.. this was also after reading all the articles about how people are much more likely to click a link they don't think is an affiliate.

Anywho, I started out by using "rewrite rule" in my htaccess but as soon as I did I had a sale that didn't register at CJ. I know this because most of the people who sign up through my links are clients who I'm going to install websites for. So I talked to a friend who told me that rewrite rule wasn't the way to go and I should use "redirect 301".. so I changed ALL my htaccess files. Then today I had ANOTHER sale that didn't show up??

I emailed the commission manger for the first sale and he added it manually and told me that on his end the sale looked correct but CJ just drops the ball sometimes. I haven't gotten a response from the second one yet. Have any of you guys run into this before? Does the redirect not set the cookie? It just seems like a huge coincidence that I have missed two for two as soon as I started running them through the htaccess??

Todd
    "I bow to a skill much greater than my own"

It sounds like what you are looking for is called "cloaking" your links. It can be done several ways, using PHP to Javascript.

You'll be able to find a ton of threads here about it, some that even show the code they use.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    A 301 redirect is usually used to direct one domain to another. For example if you want to change your sites name from siteooolala.com to simplesite.com you'd use a 301 redirect to alert the search engines.

You should be able to google the ways to cloak your links; from editing your .htaccess, to javascript, to downloading a software to do it for you.

No, I have not had any problems. My redirects have always worked just fine.

ABW Ambassador
    Webhosting companies are notorious for playing games with affiliate tracking/reporting. If anyone dropped the ball, it's highly unlikely that it was CJ. It was the merchant. I don't promote webhosting companies but I've been an affiliate for over 7 years and 100% of my tracking issues have been attributable to the merchants and 0% attributable to a network.

I suspect that what has happened is out of your control and has nothing to do with how you are linking.

Yeah
    Yeah, I'm doing it exactly like all those sites suggest.. I just thought it was odd that two in a row didn't post as soon as I started using the .htaccess. I thought maybe the CJ links were different somehow because they don't really look like other affiliate links.

Thanks
    Snowman, thanks.. I was thinking that might be the case. Even when I was using the EXACT links from CJ one of the hosts would drop about every 10th transaction.. but at least they would fix it when I emailed them. The one from yesterday (I'm not going to say their name because I'm unsure of the forum rules) basically told me the commission went to someone else and I should contact CJ.. which I did but I KNOW CJ's policy says the advertiser has to fix it. Also my client DID NOT click another affiliate link after mine which is what the advertiser is claiming.

Maybe they do it because they are actually lossing money on each referal.. I mean they pay me $100 and the person is only paying $60 for the first year!? Maybe I would lose some transactions too if I were them, haha.

Anyway, I refered 12 people to the OTHER host last month.. if I don't get the commission on this transaction I'll just swap back to them.. their loss, not mine :-)

thanks for your info though
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman
    Webhosting companies are notorious for playing games with affiliate tracking/reporting. If anyone dropped the ball, it's highly unlikely that it was CJ. It was the merchant. I don't promote webhosting companies but I've been an affiliate for over 7 years and 100% of my tracking issues have been attributable to the merchants and 0% attributable to a network.

I suspect that what has happened is out of your control and has nothing to do with how you are linking.

Found the problem
    Well after emailing back and fourth all day I figured out the problem is Hostgator STINKS. Even though my client is willing to talk to them and tell them he signed up through my link and even though CJ said it tracked correctly Hostgator still says "tough luck"... back to one of the other 14 hosting affiliates I go :-)

ABW Ambassador
    That is exactly what I was referring to. You're going to experience this repeatedly in this sector.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread