Deals Database
    Is SAS going to have an .xml feed sometime soon of the Deals database where the links include our affiliate urls so we can post the deals on our websites??

ABW Ambassador
    That would be good but I wouldn't expect it soon
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Actually it's been there a long time. Go to the following page...

http://www.shareasale.com/a-deals-rss.cfm

What you are looking for is the "Advanced Feed" which has the tracking URL in it, etc...
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

ABW Ambassador
    But you can't use it in real time on a website
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

But you can't use it in real time on a website
    Yeah it's not a great solution. You'll have to set up a CRON and download the RSS each day. One day I'd love SaS to make an API not just a gigantic dump of their database in a text file.

You should not use it real time anyways. IMO you should be importing their data and always putting in your environment. Your environment is the only one you have real control over
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

You should not use it real time anyways
    What makes you think being able to pull the data live doesn't mean it wouldn't go in a database as well? It's just a far superior alternative for a programmer to have a better api solution.

Whoa whoa there tiger. I was referring to the comment

"But you can't use it in real time on a website"

To me that meant that the person above wanted to pull it and display it live from the SAS system. Of course anything (API, CSV, SneakerNet) can be pulled in at any time and put in a database.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Your point is confusing this tiger :P

Rarrrr

Let's start from the beginning with what my intention was.

When the other person said "yada yada... use it realtime" I assumed that s/he was talking about "when someone visits my homepage I want to to connect SAS right then and there and get their XML feed to display to the current visitor". That is what I am not advocating. You are relying on another website to display information to your current visitor. Not the best idea.

Better? Sorry about that.
    ---
    ---

Might not best the idea but in the web2.0 world, with AJAX, APIs and alike we rely on webservices to be up to power our sites.

I get your point but.. sometimes it's just better to work real-time and cache data. Not download it all and store it in hope that someday someone will want it.

ABW Ambassador
    Battery, this is not for home page content. For example I hook up live coupon feeds from Avantlink & even some Linkshare merchants that display on my pages on my website. The promotions are updated by the merchant so all I have to do is program it once and never touch them again, no downloading datafeeds, very efficient and self automated which means I can spend my time doing other things like promoting the pages etc. The only downside to RSS coupon feeds (and any network/datafeed really unless you change the content) is that the content is going to be the same on every other website. But there are ways around that too. There are benefits for the merchant too like been in control and not having coupons displayed with wrongs codes, incorrect expiry dates etc etc....

RSS is the way to go these days, I'm using it more and more on websites to display all sorts of content including affiliate content for the merchants that are smart enough to get one online.

glinted,

Everything I do is automatically updated - I don't process datafeeds manually. So whether it is a webservice, API, datafeed, or RSS it is probably a better idea to read it in on a regular basic (hourly/daily) and keep the data in your own database. If it (RSS) changes my data gets updated automatically without me doing anything. If the RSS feed has problems it won't ever affect my users.

Just different ways of doing the same thing.

Patrick
    ---
    ---

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread