Merchant Created Landing Pages for Affiliates
    While I used to do a lot of affiliate marketing as an affiliate, I have greatly cut back on my activities in this area in favor of creating my own products (physical - food) and having my own affiliate program...so, I may be somewhat "out of the loop", and that is why I am writing this post.

Today, I sent a letter to all my affiliates announcing I added 6 new products to one of my lines. I also let them know that I have provided a new creative (banner) for this product line for their use. As always, I closed the letter with the offer that if I can be of any further assistance they should not hesitate to contact me.

I received this reply back from one of my affiliates:

Any plans for full landing pages? I cant build a site around the products with the limited graphics available.
    I am a bit conflicted over how to respond to this and would like your feedback.

When I was very active as an affiliate, I never remember any affiliate program that provided landing pages. I felt lucky if there were a few cratives and perhaps a sales letter. I usually would purchase the product or a "sampling" of the products, try them, and then create my own sales and/or landing pages. I was fairly successful with this method.

Now, if this is a new trend, I better get on my horse and provide more than I have already have for my affiliates (I already provide them with banners, text ads, text links, email links, HTML ads, a section where they can automatically create their own links to any page and track their success, and an Affiliate Marketing 101 section to assist them in being more effective affiliate marketers.)

On the other hand, it seems to me that many affililiates these days are becoming increasingly dependent on their affiliate programs to provide them with everything, almost as if you have to do all the work for them so they can make some money. What happened to the days when, as an affiliate, you tested the product, wrote your own sales letters, created your own reviews and landing pages, etc? There was an art and a skill in being an effective affiliate marketer.

Are those days gone or has the trend moved to where the affiliate program provides much, much more. Is this helping them or taking them by the hand so they can be "successful"?

Don't get me wrong, if I need to create landing pages, I will, but I do not want to "baby" affiliates who shouldn't be affilliates to begin with.

I'm just not sure how to respond, and I want to handle this the best way for me and my affiliates.

Thanks for any feedback you may offer.

Jim

Jim,

I would not have taken this email as a request for a custom landing page, but that is something I provide for affiliates when asked. Rather I understand this request as you providing landing pages to help your affiliates pre-sell your products. Your website should provide for your affiliates to deeplink to specific products, with that product having it's own landing page. Also, landing pages allow affiliates to target specific demographics, run their own tests, and more deeply integrate your products into their sites.

Every Merchant provides various levels of tools, if creating custom landing pages for your affiliates is not something you want to provide, then so be it. But I do recommend offering at least a couple of landing pages for your affiliates to choose from when promoting your products.

This is just my $0.02......

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    What is the harm in offering whatever tools you have the ability to offer?

I would be ecstatic to get a message like that from one of my partners because:

1. Yay! They emailed me back! They have a specific interest in my products.

2. They want to get active and they are asking me to help them do it. Another bonus. If what they are asking for is within my, my web designers', or anyone else that my company employs' ability, then I want to do it.

With affiliates, time is of the essence. If you can do a bit of leg work to help them, that could lead to the single most important thing in affiliate marketing: the makings of a beautiful, mutually profitable partnership. Does it really get any better than that?!

It all comes down to wondering about the possibilities...

The landing page you create today could lead to a relationship where both partners reap significant financial reward for years to come. Isn't that worth the hour or two of your time?

Disclaimer: I am in warm and fuzzy mode today. Best of luck to you!
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

Hi Rolet and AM@4checks,

I appreciate you taking the time to give me feedback. What both of you say makes a lot of sense.

Jim

This alone should tell you this affiliate is serious

I cant build a site around the products with the limited graphics available.
    It sounds like they want to build a site around your products, give them whatever they need.

As for landing pages we, basically, have 2 main types. The most common is one for most of the affiliate links. We don't do this for all programs we manage but for some it makes sense. It makes sense if you want to channel affiliate traffic into a sales page, instead of just sending them to your homepage. A good sales page can focus on generating sales and avoid many of the distractions that may be on your homepage. If you have separate creative for individual products then make a landing page for each.

We also do co-branded landing pages for some affiliates. These will have the affiliate's logo on them, mention their site and may have a special coupon or offer.

In both of these instances, the landing page is hosted on the merchant's site and not pages created for the affiliate to host themselves.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

We're creating 4 different landing pages, each designed to speak to a particular market. That allows for more targeted traffic, and hopefully higher conversions for the affiliates. Give affiliates as many tools as possible, make 'em happy, and they'll work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    ...We also do co-branded landing pages for some affiliates. These will have the affiliate's logo on them, mention their site and may have a special coupon or offer...
    I have never done this with any program for my sites, but I bet 100% of the affiliates that you make these for probably love them. Helps keep there from being a disconnect on the redirect, if you know what I mean.

-sfcom

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Hmm. Interesting.

If an affiliate is unable to build a landing page for themselves it would make me pause for sec.

Of course I am not recruiting affiliates so I do not know what most affiliates currently do or are capable of doing. But I would have thought affiliates that know how to drive traffic certainly would know how to build web pages.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    Hmm. Interesting.

If an affiliate is unable to build a landing page for themselves it would make me pause for sec.

Of course I am not recruiting affiliates so I do not know what most affiliates currently do or are capable of doing. But I would have thought affiliates that know how to drive traffic certainly would know how to build web pages.
    In some cases, it may be the affiliate just doesn't have the time to do it, or is promoting too many different products and merchants, and is looking for something "out of the box" from the merchant.

Thanks for all the great feedback! This is why I like this forum so much.

visitourmall - I guess this was part of my thinking when I decided to compose this thread.

Based on the feedback from you guys and gals, I have written back to this affiliate. Here's the letter.

Hi XXXXX,

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you yesterday. We were having a Health Department inspection today, so I had to spend a lot of time yesterday making sure all my i's were dotted and my t's were crossed and everything was in proper order. With that done, I can play catch up now.

It is always good to hear back from an affiliate with appropriate questions and/or constructive feedback. It means you are serious about your craft and strive to be successful at it. I enjoy working with people like you.

I think your question is a good one and landing pages are necessary. Let me give you a little background and ask you a few questions.

While I had a lot of experience myself as an affiliate marketer in the past, the last few years my attention has been to get MoonShadows Farm solidly established, not only online, but in some retail stores and the show circuit. I started the MSF Affiliate Program a while back, but had nothing but problems...with the affiliate tracking software...one custom built by a web designer and the other a version of Post Affiliate Pro software that I purchased. Most of my time was spent trying to fix problems so I had very little time left over to create tools for my affiliates. Twice I had to suspend the affiliate program because of software problems. It wasn't until a few months ago that I finished a lot of research, tried dozens of demos and trial versions, and decided to switch my whole shopping cart and affiliate program over to new software applications. First, I purchased a license for Pinnacle Cart and revamped the entire store. (I had been using CubeCart) Then, I purchased idev Affiliate and integrated it. These are the two systems we are using now.

I have only had iDev up and running for about 1 month now. That is when I brought the affiliate program back on line. To date, I have added a decent amount of linking methods and some affiliate help in terms of "tools of the trade", but I do realize that I need to provide much more for the majority of my affiliates if the program is to be successful. Luckily, I have a couple of affiliates that have been around for a while (that stuck with me) that only need an affiliate ID and they can create entire web pages with their already acquired skills. They are also the types that purchase the product themselves and use it, so they speak with first-hand authority, a tremendous advantage for an affiliate. These are the few and I realize the affiliate program can not be built on just a few affiliates. If the program is to be successful, I need to provide tools that will help all the affiliates. This is where providing all the help I can is an absolute necessity.

My problem is I sometimes feel "out of the loop" when it comes to thinking as an affiliate. What worked for me a few years ago probably won't work as well today. I used to write my own landing pages for products I affiliated for, but I realize so much has changed, especially the thinking on landing pages and their design in general. So, it will not be a quick process for me to provide these landing pages. I have to do some studying up on the latest thinking, strategies and techniques. I have already begun this process. I am also contemplating the possibility of hiring someone to write them for me.

Let me ask you this. Since you are affiliating food products for me, I assume you affiliate other food products as well. Do you know of any examples of strong landing pages (food or other) that I can study?

Unfortunately iDev does not allow me or the affiliate to link to individual products, just product pages. (Someday, when we all make a lot of money together, perhaps I can upgrade the affiliate program to one that has "all" the bells and whistles.) When you ask for landing pages, are you requesting several...one to the main page and one to each of the product pages? I assume you are, but I just want to clarify. If you feel one could be more helpful first, that is where I will start.

Whatever feedback you can give me that you think will help, will help me help you. As I said, this is not going to happen overnight, but I am dedicated to helping my affiliates succeed and listening to any and all suggestions with the intent of implementing them if feasible.

Your email (feedback) is appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

Well, interesting opinions. I guess in 2008 with so many offers, with so many new players in the market place - the old giant approach which basically gives you 3 text links and 12 banners isn't enough, especially when you go into more niched market places.

I know MNSandy's program provides custom landing pages on request, but that is the exception and not the rule.

I've had some merchants build custom pages on request, but I would advise doing this for an affiliate only after they've shown @ least some volume..

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Well I'll be. I just changed my mind and have had one wonderful merchant create a specialized promotional landing page for us. Never have done that before.

In this case I believe it makes sense though since the traffic to that site to tied to specific marketing programs already in place.
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Quote Originally Posted by oziman
    I know MNSandy's program provides custom landing pages on request, but that is the exception and not the rule.

I've had some merchants build custom pages on request, but I would advise doing this for an affiliate only after they've shown @ least some volume..
    Interesting, oziman, what you say about volume. But, isn't that a kind of Catch 22 based on what this affiliate requested?

BTW...After I took the time to communicate with this affiliate with the email above 14 days ago, I have not heard "boo" from him. I purposely asked him for some feedback in my email to see how interested/motivated he is. He never replied. That would indicate to me he wants to be hand fed, and not colaborate.

Jim

Cool
    a lot of us would be happy using a well-categorized datafeed into PopShops.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Guinn
    BTW...After I took the time to communicate with this affiliate with the email above 14 days ago, I have not heard "boo" from him. I purposely asked him for some feedback in my email to see how interested/motivated he is. He never replied. That would indicate to me he wants to be hand fed, and not colaborate.

Jim
    OK just my $0.02 on this - but did you see how long your email was to him? How about sending him another email, but shorter to see if he even read the first email you sent.

Affiliate Network Rep
    We have two or three affiliates with custom landing pages, as well as even custom ordering forms, the affiliates didn't demand it but said it'd greatly help their conversions. An hour or two worth of our time to help with conversions is worth it at any time in my eyes.

Like I've read on this forum (which I've recently found!) our affiliate program, as well as many others I'm sure..only gets as much out as you're willing to put in.

I've recently taken over this affiliate program, coming from managing a few others in the same niche, and it's obvious to me that the reason this one is lower performing is a testament to that saying, the past management didn't put much in...and got less out.

I was going to say the same thing, Rolet. The email rambled on and on. The first time I saw it, I couldn't even bring myself to take the couple minutes it would take to read it. I just did. Ugh.

An affiliate doesn't to hear about:

1. Your other distractions at work.
    2. That you were an affiliate. (Questions that brings to mind: Are you still? Why didn't you succeed? Will you steal my ideas and become one again?)
    3. That your program has been up and down several times.
    4. That your affiliate tracking software is rather limited.
    5. Extensive, irrelevant details about your site.
    6. That other affiliates are able to work around your limitations. (Implying that this affiliate isn't as good.)
    7. That you feel out of the loop.
    8. That you don't have the ability or time to build the landing pages he requested.
    9. That you want the affiliate to show you what to do.
    10. That you're not going to invest the money into getting affiliate tracking software that will meet your needs right now. (Implying that you're not dedicated to it. Also inferring that you may change at some point in the future which will require everyone to change their links yet again.)
    11. That you're not going to get them what they asked for anytime soon.
    12. Patronizing fluff.

I don't think you meant to say all that, but that's what the affiliate is probably hearing. If I received an email like that in response to a simple request, I would probably ignore it (and the merchant) too.

What an affiliate wants is to get a short, quick email back saying "I've created the landing page you requested. Here is your affiliate link. Here is the page. Is this what you had in mind? Let me know if you'd like anything changed on it or if there's anything else I can do for you!"
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I was going to say the same thing, Rolet. The email rambled on and on. The first time I saw it, I couldn't even bring myself to take the couple minutes it would take to read it. I just did. Ugh.

An affiliate doesn't to hear about:

1. Your other distractions at work.
    2. That you were an affiliate. (Questions that brings to mind: Are you still? Why didn't you succeed? Will you steal my ideas and become one again?)
    3. That your program has been up and down several times.
    4. That your affiliate tracking software is rather limited.
    5. Extensive, irrelevant details about your site.
    6. That other affiliates are able to work around your limitations. (Implying that this affiliate isn't as good.)
    7. That you feel out of the loop.
    8. That you don't have the ability or time to build the landing pages he requested.
    9. That you want the affiliate to show you what to do.
    10. That you're not going to invest the money into getting affiliate tracking software that will meet your needs right now. (Implying that you're not dedicated to it. Also inferring that you may change at some point in the future which will require everyone to change their links yet again.)
    11. That you're not going to get them what they asked for anytime soon.
    12. Patronizing fluff.

I don't think you meant to say all that, but that's what the affiliate is probably hearing. If I received an email like that in response to a simple request, I would probably ignore it (and the merchant) too.

What an affiliate wants is to get a short, quick email back saying "I've created the landing page you requested. Here is your affiliate link. Here is the page. Is this what you had in mind? Let me know if you'd like anything changed on it or if there's anything else I can do for you!"
    Wow! Talk about getting blasted between the eyes!...But, your criticism is well taken. I guess I was just thinking back to when I did do a lot of affiliate marketing. First, I would appreciate it when a merchant DID answer my email, and I liked it when he DID add a personal touch and was honest with me. I always felt affiliate marketing was a collaborative effort between the affiliate and merchant....not a "what can you do for me" relationship. I was always willing to learn from the merchant, but realized all merchants were not created equal, so I was willing to work with a merchant if I liked the product and thought it had potential for me as an affiliate. My all time best affiliate account was developed that way with the merchant. I did well that way. Perhaps that was a fluke or perhaps times have changed in the two-three years I have basically been out of affiliate marketing full steam....but, as I said, I need to learn affiliate marketing 2008 (I already know affiliate marketing 2001 to 2005), so I do appreciate your constructive feedback, Michael.

Jim

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I like Coley's version of the e-mail much more than the original.

Most of us only scan messages because we get so many of them, so here is another tip.

Start with the most important and relevant information at the beginning of the letter in a separate paragraph.

You could always put your company history and personal job history in your company's blog. (and put a link to each in your e-mail signature)

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey

Jim thank you for the post as I am working through the same issue.

We are new at the game and struggling with all the competing offers, multivariate testing tools and choice between owning all landing pages verses letting affiliates create and own them. We are always looking for affiliates that will build their own landing pages but others suggest that providing and hosting all of the landing pages for affiliates gives us the most flexibility to know what converts.

I see landing pages created by others that are competitive in nature and provide credibility to our offerings and dont know if we could honestly provide the same value. I am interested in watching the trends of what works and learning how best to support the affiliates in making the most money.

Good luck and thanks for the post

I have to agree with the posters above that the email response was too long. The affiliate may even have had every intention of reading it, but set it aside for later purely because of the length and then got distracted by other items (aka other merchants).

Just a suggestion... but if you don't currently have the ability (resources) to create full landing pages for the affiliate partner, you could certainly try something along the lines of "Although we don't currently have plans to create specific landing pages, I can certainly provide you with some additional text and images regarding our products... etc., etc."

Since his comment was - basically - that he (or she) didn't have enough meat to make a full meal. (Had to through a cooking pun in there now didn't I), they probably have the skill but maybe not the raw materials.

Maybe pull together a list of best-sellers, including their images, descriptions and links.... or something tied to specific holidays and seasons. Give them something more than basic banners to work with.

Although we haven't created many landing pages FOR affiliates in the past, we have certainly created quite a few landing pages WITH affiliate partners before.. and - in general - they tend to work quite well.

JMHO.

Paul

Since this thread was last active in May, I have provided a landing page for my affiliates. I have also added a section in their back office called Affiliate Marketing 101 with information and education for newer affiliates. I also communicate with my affiliates on a regular basis with helpful information. We recently added two new products to our salsa and bbq sauce lines. In addition to the standard links/banners, I also have also provided text and created two recipes using both these products that the affiliates can use on their site to promote the new products...since most of the affiliate sites are food related.

Davicho - Another thig I did was to purchase Geno's book A Practical Guide to Affiliate Marketing: Quick Reference for Affiliate Managers & Merchants. Geno's book has been a great help to me in learning how to manage my affiliate program. It is filled with practical information and ideas. You should pick up a copy for yourself. You can find it in this thread: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=83364. I still have a lot to learn, but I am moving forward in improving as a merchant/affiliate manager.

Jim

Depending On The Number Of Product ...
    I would like 'Individual Product Sales Banners' that feature a picture of the product, text on why people should own it, and that if they buy it now, they get a discount and/or free shipping. If you have space, put in a testimonial.

On the other end, I want the individual product banners, if clicked on, to go direct to a check out, buy it now page. Do not give people time to get lost by having to go to a bunch of pages to get to the point of buying.

Since you only have 6 products, you only have to make one banner for each product, then just re-arrange the sizing to fit the other banner dimensions.

You probably need a leaderboard, a 180x150 or 200x200 and a 125x125 to cover all the bases to start.

Also, since many of the page default settings are 800x600 ... you might want to make a product sales banner be 500x250 or 500x300, so it fits in screen and the allows for the affiliate to have their header and footers with some content thrown in so the whole thing fits in one screen.

Druid,

Are you talking about our affiliate program specifically? I'm not sure. If you are....

Quote Originally Posted by Druid
    I would like 'Individual Product Sales Banners' that feature a picture of the product, text on why people should own it, and that if they buy it now, they get a discount and/or free shipping. If you have space, put in a testimonial.
    You want all this on a banner?

On the other end, I want the individual product banners, if clicked on, to go direct to a check out, buy it now page. Do not give people time to get lost by having to go to a bunch of pages to get to the point of buying.
    I don't believe that is possible with my affiliate software. They have to hit at least one page on the site before the check out page.

Since you only have 6 products, you only have to make one banner for each product, then just re-arrange the sizing to fit the other banner dimensions.
    There are 44 products, not 6.

Also, since many of the page default settings are 800x600 ... you might want to make a product sales banner be 500x250 or 500x300, so it fits in screen and the allows for the affiliate to have their header and footers with some content thrown in so the whole thing fits in one screen.
    Anything else you would like?

Keep in mind, this is a mom and pop operation, not a wealthy network. We can only do so much at once...if you are referring to our affiliate program.

Jim

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread